Author Topic: X360 display resolution  (Read 4250 times)

Offline Chronologix

• SiteDeveloper
  • I am Canadian!
X360 display resolution
« on: December 03, 2009, 09:06:56 am »
I am trying to run my Xbox through my Samsung T240 (24" LCD w/HDMI) But when I connect using the HDMI cables it reads the monitor as an HDTV (not letting my choose resolutions, only letting me change "TV" formats, like 1080p etc.)

If anyone can help me can you send a PM my way?

I know this isnt a support thread but, if the majority of people here have an Xbox, it is the best place to look. and keeping it to PM won't clutter the thread beyond this one post.

Offline Caranfin

X360 display resolution
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 06:39:46 pm »
I am trying to run my Xbox through my Samsung T240 (24" LCD w/HDMI) But when I connect using the HDMI cables it reads the monitor as an HDTV (not letting my choose resolutions, only letting me change "TV" formats, like 1080p etc.)

I know this isnt a support thread but, if the majority of people here have an Xbox, it is the best place to look. and keeping it to PM won't clutter the thread beyond this one post.
I'm running my 360 through my 24" LCD computer display, and there is no other options for the resolution on the console as far as I could find. Luckily I found an option to stop stretching the image in my monitor's settings.

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
X360 display resolution
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 07:07:26 pm »

I'm running my 360 through my 24" LCD computer display, and there is no other options for the resolution on the console as far as I could find. Luckily I found an option to stop stretching the image in my monitor's settings.

It depends on what type of connection you're using.

I'm connected to my monitor via the 360 VGA cable, which allows me to choose a resolution.

Chrono, what are the measurements on your monitor?

I figure one of the mods could maybe break this off into a separate thread, since it could be helpful for anyone else that needs help with this stuff.
That's the problem with heroes, really. Their only purpose in life is to thwart others. They make no plans, develop no strategies. They react instead of act. Without villains, heroes would stagnate. Without heroes, villains would be running the world. Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic.

Offline evilcandybag

• of Fire
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Armoured Tanks of Mass Destruction
Re: X360 display resolution
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 08:51:23 pm »
Done.
"Actually, wooden stakes are for vampires. Wooden steaks are for vegetarians."

Offline Chronologix

• SiteDeveloper
  • I am Canadian!
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 09:36:18 pm »
its 24" 16:10

I am using an HDMI cable instead of VGA, so its just a straight connection. But hte image quality looks pretty poor and the only settings the Xbox system settings has for me is HDTV settings (the 4 TV resolutions, max 1080p)

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 09:54:41 pm »
its 24" 16:10

I am using an HDMI cable instead of VGA, so its just a straight connection. But hte image quality looks pretty poor and the only settings the Xbox system settings has for me is HDTV settings (the 4 TV resolutions, max 1080p)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937898

I don't know if that helps at all.

You may want to buy a VGA cable from GameStop (or the Canadian equivalent) for cheap, since trying to display with my monitor's default measurements (1440x900) distorts the picture a little, and so I have to use 1280x768... I get the feeling that that is what is going on here; the HDMI cable is forcing the screen into either 720 or 1080p when your monitor doesn't have those measurements.

Of course, I could also be completely wrong. :P
That's the problem with heroes, really. Their only purpose in life is to thwart others. They make no plans, develop no strategies. They react instead of act. Without villains, heroes would stagnate. Without heroes, villains would be running the world. Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic.

Offline Chronologix

• SiteDeveloper
  • I am Canadian!
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 12:30:00 am »
Well usually it would just upscale and I assume it would still let me select a resolution, but it is only letting me choose HDTV settings, which is what concerns me. The HDMI cable was 20, and JUST bought this system so im pretty burnt and not wanting to spend too much cash.

I would have assumed it would just scale the 1920x1080 into the 1920x1200 but if you actually say the image quality of the PC vs what i am getting from the Xbox, it is jagged as all hell (its like looking at a 800x600 screenshot with 0 anti-aliasing and then putting it into photoshop and applying 10 sharpen filters onto it) which is not very impressive at all.

It is NOT blurry, on the contrary it is too sharp and has a ton of jagged edges.

Offline dezo

• ex Defence Against the Dark Arts
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 12:48:03 am »
xbox 360 will only send TV resolutions.
16:9 is a TV format nad thus the 360 will send 576i, 480p, 720p, 1080i & 1080p and never custom resolutions as 1366x768 or 1900x1200.
If you had a 24" monitor with 1080p 16:9 specs it would be pixelmapped.

Plix prove me wrong if I happen to be wrong. I wont mind =)

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2009, 06:34:51 am »
Well usually it would just upscale and I assume it would still let me select a resolution, but it is only letting me choose HDTV settings, which is what concerns me. The HDMI cable was 20, and JUST bought this system so im pretty burnt and not wanting to spend too much cash.

I would have assumed it would just scale the 1920x1080 into the 1920x1200 but if you actually say the image quality of the PC vs what i am getting from the Xbox, it is jagged as all hell (its like looking at a 800x600 screenshot with 0 anti-aliasing and then putting it into photoshop and applying 10 sharpen filters onto it) which is not very impressive at all.

It is NOT blurry, on the contrary it is too sharp and has a ton of jagged edges.

Never pay that much for an HDMI cable... you can get them very cheap online, and there's almost no difference between a $2 one and a $40. Can you return it?

Since Dezo kinda confirmed my suspicions (although in a far more scientific manner) you might be better off returning the HDMI and getting a used VGA cable.

Offline Chronologix

• SiteDeveloper
  • I am Canadian!
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2009, 08:04:11 am »
This is the response from the MS people who obviously didn't read my email properly.

The high-definition support for Xbox 360 is dynamic, so even if a game is designed with 720p in mind, but your TV only supports 480p, 1080i and 1080p. Xbox 360 runs the game in the best resolution your TV offers (up to 720p, 1080i and 1080p).

If you do plan on running games in high definition with your HDTV, you'll need the Xbox 360 Component HD AV Cable, which comes standard with the Xbox 360 system (not the Xbox 360 Core System) and is sold separately as well.

If you're using the Xbox 360 VGA HD AV Cable to connect your Xbox 360 console to a computer monitor or TV monitor with a VGA connection, you'll have the opportunity to select from a variety of resolutions. They are:

640 x 480

848 x 480

1024 x 768

1280 x 720 (equivalent to 720p)

1280 x 768

1280 x 1024

1360 x 768

1920 x 1080

Whether using the Xbox 360 Component HD AV Cable or the Xbox 360 VGA HD AV Cable, you'll find the resolution settings in the System menu on the Xbox 360 Dashboard. Select Console Settings in the System menu, and then select Display to find all your resolution options.

So all in all, you can select resolutions using those cables, but they never answered my question to why the Xbox thinks my monitor is an HDTV (instead of an HD compliant monitor) which would allow me to select resolution settings.

I guess I may need some other cables for the console to read the monitor correctly.

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2009, 08:12:54 am »
So all in all, you can select resolutions using those cables, but they never answered my question to why the Xbox thinks my monitor is an HDTV (instead of an HD compliant monitor) which would allow me to select resolution settings.

I guess I may need some other cables for the console to read the monitor correctly.

The reason the 360 thinks you're connecting to an HDTV is because you're using an HDMI cable (until you said your monitor came with a port I didn't even think many had one). The type of cable you use is what tells the Xbox what settings should be available, which is why when I was on vacation this summer the only time I was able to access HD settings on the HDTV in the house we stayed in was when I had used the VGA cable instead of the RCA it came with.

Offline Chronologix

• SiteDeveloper
  • I am Canadian!
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2009, 09:13:25 am »
well my monitor has the standard connection, as well as a DVI and HDMI connection, which is why I went with it.

I assume i would need to disconnect my PC from the monitor to use the VGA cable right? not sure about what the DVI would do. I kind of like having the 2 sources instead of 1 (aka I can change my monitors source by just pressing a button and change from VGA to DVI to HDMI, allowing me to have both my PC and Xbox connected and change between them easy)

I will need to look more into DVI maybe

Offline evilcandybag

• of Fire
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Armoured Tanks of Mass Destruction
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2009, 12:06:59 pm »
First, to clear away one element that can be confusing: DVI and HDMI are exactly the same as one another, image-quality-wise. The principal differences are that HDMI carries audio as well as video, and uses a different type of connector, but both use the same encoding scheme, and that's why a DVI source can be connected to an HDMI monitor, or vice versa, with a DVI/HDMI cable, with no intervening converter box.
-http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/34579/122868.html

Could be a worthwhile read.
"Actually, wooden stakes are for vampires. Wooden steaks are for vegetarians."

Offline Crazywater

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2009, 01:08:44 pm »
I don't know if this problem also exists for HDMI cables, but at least there are DVI cables (which are basically the same), that lack the so-called "DDC"-pins in order to lower production costs, which means that the monitor can't be recognized automatically. Usually that isn't a problem, because you can specify your resolution manually on a normal operating system, but an Xbox might be confused. This is just a wild guess, though.

So, if anyone of your friends has an HDMI cable or a DVI<->HDMI adapter, I'd ask them and just try out other combinations. I have connected my Xbox to a monitor using an HDMI cable and a DVI<->HDMI adapter, and I can select my monitor's native resolution (1280x1024).
We're open to such things, we've even talked many times about doing it with Inja, but in a way that's redundant because we can already get Erica
:o brown chicken brown cow :o

Offline yas‮

• The laziest one.
  • I believe in respawn.
    • Me on SoundCloud
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2009, 04:01:54 pm »
I tried these setups:

360 -> VGA Cable -> CRT - displayed VGA resolutions
360 -> VGA Cable -> LCD monitor - displayed VGA resolutions
360 -> VGA Cable -> HDTV - displayed VGA resolutions
360 -> HDMI Cable -> HDTV - displayed TV resolutions, after some time it started to display VGA resolutions
360 -> HDMI Cable -> HDMI to DVI adapter -> Full HD LCD monitor - displays VGA resolutions

So it doesn't really depend on the cable. I guess it would be best to try buying a HDMI to DVI adapter and connecting it to your monitor's DVI port.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 06:39:44 pm by yasiekk »