Author Topic: The Protomen  (Read 3545 times)

Offline WilllemNL

• Terra Solus
    • Xboxworld - All the news on Xbox 360 in Dutch!
The Protomen
« on: September 15, 2009, 10:26:03 pm »
The Protomen is a band, which sings about the epic and tragic story of... Mega Man! Now, first I was like: Meh...  :-\
But then I heard the CDs.
There is an Act I and an Act II. Act II is simply a masterpiece. And it doesn't sound odd at all, it's really sad actually. For example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP2NePWJ2pQ

Their sound exists of a strange, but very touching mix of country/western and rock opera. It's very special. I think. And it's about Mega Man!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 10:29:37 pm by WilllemNL »

Offline SpeedD

• Machinae Prime
  • Canada, BITCH!
    • Egg!
Re: The Protomen
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 03:29:50 am »
The Protomen are easily one of my favourite bands. I downloaded Act II (through iTunes, damn you.) as soon as it was available, and have been listening to it almost exclusively the last week. Bloody brilliant work.

The album has a great 80's rock feel to it (in a good way), the songs flow beautifully and the album really feels like a solidly built piece.
"What I felt was turned, in the tempest forged to hate. My soul I disconnected, and called out the Lightbringer to the gate."

Offline Jaems

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 05:53:15 am »
This album is simply amazing.
I mean, I was anticipating it, but I didn't know what to expect. I loved the first album, and was expecting to just be "meh" or "it's okay" with this new album. Oh, how I was wrong.

It is fantastic, and easily my favorite album of '09 so far.
The vocal performances are notably much more impressive than in the first album, sending even more chills down my spine (The Good Doctor and Thomas Light vs. The State always get to me). ANNNND The mixture of Western music, eletronic, and 80's style rock is awesommmme.
These guys are really giving it all they've got, and hell, it's paid off. This album is incredibly unique, and I can't believe this is even indie sometimes, since it sounds so goddamn fantastic.

I've already ordered my physical copy, in the meantime, I'll be listening to this again and again.

Offline Sirix

• Self proclaimed forum Villain
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 05:04:55 pm »
omg didn't realize Act II was out!

just itunes stored it.

CAN'T WAIT.

Offline cloudstrifex

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2009, 09:28:12 pm »
o shit i gotta check this out :o

Offline Sirix

• Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 09:07:00 pm »
I really like it so far, but the 2nd half of the album kind of turns into weird 80's rock.

Don't know what I think of that yet.

Offline WilllemNL

• Terra Solus
    • Xboxworld - All the news on Xbox 360 in Dutch!
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 12:31:12 am »
I really like it so far, but the 2nd half of the album kind of turns into weird 80's rock.

Act II? Indeed it does. It bothers me a bit too, 'cause I like the first half more. But it still rawks.  ;D

Offline Sirix

• Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 09:09:48 pm »

Act II? Indeed it does. It bothers me a bit too, 'cause I like the first half more. But it still rawks.  ;D

yeah, I definitely miss the raw power of tracks like Vengeance, but it's still a good album :)