Author Topic: Affiliate program please  (Read 5898 times)

Offline seahen

• Life User Blog
Affiliate program please
« on: September 27, 2009, 08:35:24 pm »
I recently wrote a review of MaSu's 13 best songs to date on my blog. I'd like to promote DXM and the Underground edition of Redeemer on my blog, and promote buying them from the MachinaeShop so MaSu gets the biggest possible cut.

Unfortunately, I'm a semi-professional blogger, and I can't afford to be a free affiliate. So I've instead run affiliate links to Amazon.

If MachinaeShop had an affiliate program, I could replace the Amazon links with links to the shop. The commission wouldn't have to be unusually big, and part of it (say, half of the first €100) could be in store credit. (Then the strong euro wouldn't keep me from wearing a MaSu T-shirt or sweater.)

Offline gaijin

• Hiding behind the couch
  • Community Supporter
  • "You sound like the Morning Star"
    • Motljus
Re: Affiliate program please
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 08:52:32 pm »
I'm not going to pretend to speak for the band, but I have an inkling that this might be a futile effort.
Oi, is this when I get a huge sig-image, start whining about "moar sid" and make nonsensical arguments to no good?

Offline seahen

• Life User Blog
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 09:11:46 pm »
Futile in what way? Didn't MaSu get where it is now from word-of-mouth and web reviews? It would be a way to give something back to the hardcore fans who are continuing to help their popularity rise.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 12:20:02 am by seahen »

Offline yas‮

• The laziest one.
  • I believe in respawn.
    • Me on SoundCloud
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 05:33:11 pm »
I just think they just can't afford that sort of activities yet.

Offline slippy0

• ┐('~`ï¼›)┌
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 12:01:21 am »
And I'd hardly call your blog semi-pro...
See why Massachusetts rocks? We have Slippy <.<

Offline seahen

• Life User Blog
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 01:37:17 am »
What in your opinion does it take for a blog to be semi-pro?

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 01:48:46 am »
A working signature would be nice

Offline slippy0

• ┐('~`ï¼›)┌
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 08:37:52 pm »
What in your opinion does it take for a blog to be semi-pro?

Well, here's some honest C&C:
  • Your posts are of good quality, I wouldn't worry about that.
    • However, your layout is impossible to look at. Without adblock the ads are somewhat disruptive, see if you can keep them to the sidebar and bottom of the page.
  • Biggest problem I have is the theme. Readers naturally read the area in white first. The white background signifies "read this first, it is the important stuff." However, your sidebar and article area are the same color, making your page visually confusing, and draws my attention away from the content. Try coloring the navbar a light shade of grey, experiment and see what looks best.
  • A banner would be nice, its the first thing people on your blog will see. Right now I get a plain-text title, then ads.
  • Put the search bar at the top of your navbar.
  • You have the "share" button, but having a dedicated Digg, Reddit, or SU button is often nice, you're more likely to get shared through those services

That's just layout, I would also say some volume would help create and official air. 17 posts over 3 months is pretty good, but being only a few months old (excluding your 2007 post) doesn't really make your blog seem very active.

Good luck, though.
See why Massachusetts rocks? We have Slippy <.<

Offline gaijin

• Hiding behind the couch
  • Community Supporter
  • "You sound like the Morning Star"
    • Motljus
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 09:02:23 pm »
Not to mention that the volume of ads is staggering. I like the whole blog-concept, and there are several blogs i read daily, but I'd never ever have the stamina to dig through that ridiculous amount of ads.

Also, regarding the affiliate program: I'm not saying they're against it per se (I'm not in the band, I just know 'em and make educated guesses, that's all), what I think would be a problem is as previously stated, the financial side of things. While they are indeed awesome, it's not like that the merch brings ridiculous amounts of money, but rather in the scale of helping to fund some minor stuff needed by the band. On this I'm fairly sure that the forum is behind me: I'd rather see that the band takes the earnings from merch, cds and stuff and just spend 'em on making more music. Anyone feel like arguing that point?

Should the cash go to.. a) The band OR b) Some random blogger who wrote a review of some songs?

C'mon people! IT'S LIFE OR DEATH HERE!

Edited for stupid spelling fuckups. ;P
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 09:08:09 pm by gaijin »
Oi, is this when I get a huge sig-image, start whining about "moar sid" and make nonsensical arguments to no good?

Offline mumppis

• I Know The mumppis
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2009, 09:57:43 pm »
now everybody knows that the money from the merch goes to gordon hair gel to keep his hair in shape  ;) gaijin i gotta agree with you in that

Offline dezo

• ex Defence Against the Dark Arts
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2009, 10:29:23 pm »
That's why Gaijin is Awesome!
or.. well, he's awesome in general.
How can one be that? =)

Offline seahen

• Life User Blog
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2009, 12:46:00 am »
Should the cash go to.. a) The band OR b) Some random blogger who wrote a review of some songs?

Well, considering that if the random bloggers hadn't written the reviews, nobody would have heard of MaSu and nobody would be buying their CDs or going to their concerts, and that it takes time and effort to write a blog and bring traffic to it, I think the bloggers do deserve a cut.

Otherwise, what are we getting back for our time and effort? A warm, fuzzy feeling that we've promoted the arts and helped keep SID elite? If you think that's enough, go convince my ISP, my computer store, my landlord, my local supermarket and the National Student Loans Service Centre to accept payment in warm fuzzy feelings.

AFAIK, Spinefarm's yet to give the band any real promotion, so their continued success depends on bloggers who are working for free. And it's getting harder and harder to afford to work for free.

Offline MashedByMachines

• That guy
  • Community Supporter
  • Skala lök?
    • Music
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2009, 01:10:22 am »

Otherwise, what are we getting back for our time and effort? A warm, fuzzy feeling that we've promoted the arts and helped keep SID elite?

We get new music from MaSu, that is enough for me, and probably for most people in here. I promote MaSu anywhere and anytime that I can, and I do it because I love their music.  =)

http://mashedbymachines.newgrounds.com/

Believing in a zombieman from outer space who is his own father is pretty funny, but that's not what MaSu is about //yas

Offline Kernel

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2009, 02:12:46 am »
I see MaSu doing pretty well without your "work". Their music gets promoted by people who love it and like to spread the word. They do not have to buy reviews from "semi-professional" bloggers.

Oh, and what makes you think that now, after you've already written the review and linked to the band's site, you can demand money for it? Your work's already done. No one asked you to do it, it's not your job to promote the band - don't go acting all pissed off now that they don't want to pay you.

I blogged about Machinae Supremacy. I told my friends about them. I probably got them to buy a few CDs and shirts, too. So what? Everyone here did, I guess. The "warm, fuzzy feeling we've promoted the arts and helped keep SID elite" is enough for us. Why should the band pay you, when they got an army of little MaSu maniacs for free? You might have more readers, or at least some quality that justifies you calling yourself "semi-professional". But what do you trust more: The word of a friend, or the review in some blog?

If you really need the money, get a job. If you really write that well and are good at web design (as the title of you blog suggests), then someone might want to pay you regularly to do your stuff!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 02:14:22 am by Kernel »

Offline Chronologix

• SiteDeveloper
  • I am Canadian!
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2009, 02:29:57 am »

Well, considering that if the random bloggers hadn't written the reviews, nobody would have heard of MaSu and nobody would be buying their CDs or going to their concerts, and that it takes time and effort to write a blog and bring traffic to it, I think the bloggers do deserve a cut.

Otherwise, what are we getting back for our time and effort? A warm, fuzzy feeling that we've promoted the arts and helped keep SID elite? If you think that's enough, go convince my ISP, my computer store, my landlord, my local supermarket and the National Student Loans Service Centre to accept payment in warm fuzzy feelings.

AFAIK, Spinefarm's yet to give the band any real promotion, so their continued success depends on bloggers who are working for free. And it's getting harder and harder to afford to work for free.

Almost sounds like your making the "bloggers" out to be the reason MaSu is successful. I know several people who don't often use or even have the internet, let alone read blogs, and they all are, and have been, MaSu fans for years.

If you think being a blogger is any different than posting a YouTube video, you are mistaken, random people posting things on the internet may draw attention, granted, but can hardly be classified as a reliable source of information, and definitely does not account for the band's success.

BTW: I don't read blogs, I also do not read reviews...how did I find out about the band?

And unless blogging is your occupation, generating income to pay for said bills, perhaps you should rethink your career choices. No one said people can;t have an entry level job and be a student at the same time.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 02:35:43 am by Chronologix »