Author Topic: Halo 3: ODST  (Read 4440 times)

Offline Wiinis

• Excuse me, I'm off to play the grand piano
Halo 3: ODST
« on: September 22, 2009, 11:56:44 am »
There didn't seem to be a thread for this yet, and I'm stuck at school, bored out of my mind, so I figured I might as well make a thread for it.

Halo 3: ODST is released today!

Anybody gotten their greedy little paws on a copy yet? Stores around here seem to be having some sort of problems, I instruced my mother to go and buy a copy of the game, but in the local store (Gigantti in Hyvinkää) she tried they told her that they get the game into the shop tomorrow. At first I thought that the issue was probably with that particular store, but apparently another store close by (Prisma in Riihimäki) has the same problem. :<

Worst case scenario, I'll have to wait until tomorrow to get it. (Pure agony, I tell you)

Anyway, enough about my petty woes, what are your impressions/expactations/etc. for the game?

Spiral out, keep going

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
Re: Halo 3: ODST
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 07:41:58 pm »
My parents are getting it for me as a birthday present, so at latest I'll probably have it this weekend.

I'm not expecting any kind of radical change in gameplay (I mean, I've seen the videos), but I still can't wait to play it.

Have you seen the live action trailer for it?
That's the problem with heroes, really. Their only purpose in life is to thwart others. They make no plans, develop no strategies. They react instead of act. Without villains, heroes would stagnate. Without heroes, villains would be running the world. Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic.

Offline Sirix

• Self proclaimed forum Villain
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 10:50:07 pm »
what the hell is this game anyway?

I follow gaming news adamantly and I still don't know... (probably because I skip
halo news)

is it like Halo 3.5 or something?

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 11:15:33 pm »
aye, some info would be nice next time

Offline dezo

• ex Defence Against the Dark Arts
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 11:54:24 pm »
Orbital Dispatch Shock Trooper

The game is about falling down in a pod/dropship and then shoot everything in sight... except for teh allies.
Looks like Halo without teh Masterchief.
I think I'll pass this one tho even tho it gets good ratings.

Get ready to trade in your Halo 3 disc for Halo 3: ODST. The new Firefight four-player cooperative mode showcases how well Halo's weapons and enemies balance each other's strengths and weakness almost perfectly. And Halo 3: ODST comes with a second disc that features the entirety of Halo 3 multiplayer on it, including three new maps.

-PC World

Quakeworld and UT2k3 still rulez you bitches! =)

Offline Chronologix

• SiteDeveloper
  • I am Canadian!
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 12:05:35 am »

The game is about falling down in a pod/dropship and then shoot everything in sight... except for teh allies.

Get ready to trade in your Halo 3 disc for Halo 3: ODST. The new Firefight four-player cooperative mode showcases how well Halo's weapons and enemies balance each other's strengths and weakness almost perfectly. And Halo 3: ODST comes with a second disc that features the entirety of Halo 3 multiplayer on it, including three new maps.

-PC World

Quakeworld and UT2k3 still rulez you bitches! =)

it gets good ratings because the reviewers are probably just halo fanbois -.-

I saw a couple videos and was not impressed, there is a 1 hour video on gamespot where they go through the beginning of the game, and ya, it looks average and at some points, outright boring.

Offline dezo

• ex Defence Against the Dark Arts
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 12:44:25 am »
It did look a bit boring, didn't it?
For me, if they fuck up the beginning of a game in that matter it's just not worth the time to continue.
Halo 1 & 2 was about epicness and Masterchief being a kewl hardass d00d in situations that no one could expect him to survive.
Halo 3 was like a rail shooter when compared to Halo 2.

ODST looks like the beginning of Halo -The mumorpughur
You are the hero [insertnamehere] in the middle of [noob zone] and you just survived [something no one cares about because all ffwd the intro]. Now go get me [random number] of [animal pelt] and [berries that has no meaning in the storyline] and I'll reward you with the ability to walk out of [teh noob zone].

Offline WilllemNL

• Terra Solus
    • Xboxworld - All the news on Xbox 360 in Dutch!
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 01:15:55 am »

Well, THAT is not quite true. First of all, it's Orbital Drop Shock Trooper. But that's just bitchin'.
The game is a bit more about storytelling (number of important characters, flashbacks, it offers info about the war at New Mombassa). The gameplay is less run 'n gun and a bit more tactical / stealth. You can't run as fast as Master Chief, you don't have armor, you don't have uber strength. You DO have infrared-vision (or something...) and silenced guns.
That's why it's getting hyped now. Don't know if it means shit for a fun game.  ;)

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009, 03:18:58 am »

Well, THAT is not quite true. First of all, it's Orbital Drop Shock Trooper. But that's just bitchin'.
The game is a bit more about storytelling (number of important characters, flashbacks, it offers info about the war at New Mombassa). The gameplay is less run 'n gun and a bit more tactical / stealth. You can't run as fast as Master Chief, you don't have armor, you don't have uber strength. You DO have infrared-vision (or something...) and silenced guns.
That's why it's getting hyped now. Don't know if it means shit for a fun game.  ;)

Aye, it's very film noir and mystery influenced, and basically is a mystery game squished into an action game.

It's not supposed to be anything groundbreaking, and was literally made in 4 months while Bungie employees essentially had nothing to do. It's Halo 2.5, basically, but from the shoes of a (relatively) normal human being in an open-world format.

It's something to tide people over until Halo: Reach, basically. For me, it fills in the time before October and November drain my wallet with some unorthodox Halo action.

Watching one of my suite-mates playing it right now, it looks quite fun.

Also of note is that Nathan Fillion is in it. Like, not just as a VA, but his complete likeness. :P
That's the problem with heroes, really. Their only purpose in life is to thwart others. They make no plans, develop no strategies. They react instead of act. Without villains, heroes would stagnate. Without heroes, villains would be running the world. Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic.

Offline SomethingApt

• Machinae Prime
  • [this space for rent]
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2009, 09:22:53 am »
any game with 4 player co-op is worth playing in my opinion, and you can't really go wrong for 30 quid. gonna buy a copy as soon as i can band together 2 or 3 people to play it with.

Offline Chronologix

• SiteDeveloper
  • I am Canadian!
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2009, 09:28:36 pm »
any game with 4 player co-op is worth playing in my opinion, and you can't really go wrong for 30 quid. gonna buy a copy as soon as i can band together 2 or 3 people to play it with.

co-op is always nice...but you know, they could have replaced the aliens, changed some guns, had less downtime (walking around in silence from encounter to encounter) and just gave it a new name and called it a new game.

With a little bit more time put into it, they could have easily just made it a new title that who knows, they could change a genre and completely base a game off of Co-op play.

But then again, it would stop appealing to the Halo fanbois and lose revenue.

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2009, 09:58:50 pm »
With a little bit more time put into it, they could have easily just made it a new title that who knows, they could change a genre and completely base a game off of Co-op play.

Except they didn't have or want any more time. The people that worked on ODST were Bungie members with nothing to do during the development cycle before they got moved onto Halo: Reach. They made a fully functional game with an existing engine and a fully fleshed-out story along with new maps and gameplay modes, which was exactly what they set out to do and all anyone that paid attention was really expecting. Nobody expected them to revolutionize FPS games.

The only thing to really complain about, as the head of Bethesda production recently said, is that they screwed up the marketing. First it was an expansion (which it basically is), then they decided to sell it as a full game, when it really doesn't warrant the $60 price. There have been many, and much, worse deals, though.

Also, FYI, a recent poll showed that about 53% of ODST buyers surveyed are also purchasing Modern Warfare 2, as well as many other games. So most of those "Halo fanbois" you mention so often are Call of Duty "fanbois" as well.

Or maybe, you know, you're just underestimating the fact that it's a huge-selling game and that they're actually just Xbox fans, and shooter fans, in general. :P

Offline Wiinis

• Excuse me, I'm off to play the grand piano
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2009, 12:09:26 pm »

Except they didn't have or want any more time. The people that worked on ODST were Bungie members with nothing to do during the development cycle before they got moved onto Halo: Reach. They made a fully functional game with an existing engine and a fully fleshed-out story along with new maps and gameplay modes, which was exactly what they set out to do and all anyone that paid attention was really expecting. Nobody expected them to revolutionize FPS games.

The only thing to really complain about, as the head of Bethesda production recently said, is that they screwed up the marketing. First it was an expansion (which it basically is), then they decided to sell it as a full game, when it really doesn't warrant the $60 price. There have been many, and much, worse deals, though.

Also, FYI, a recent poll showed that about 53% of ODST buyers surveyed are also purchasing Modern Warfare 2, as well as many other games. So most of those "Halo fanbois" you mention so often are Call of Duty "fanbois" as well.

Or maybe, you know, you're just underestimating the fact that it's a huge-selling game and that they're actually just Xbox fans, and shooter fans, in general. :P

QFT

Anyways, I managed to get my hands on the game tuesday, and played through it in one sitting on Legendary. At times, the game was incredibly frustrating (worst being actually the last level, felt like a boring, slowed down and overly long version of the previous games' final scene. Also, I had been playing 11 hours straight and it was 3am.), but all in all I was very satisfied with the campaign. I liked the in-between-missions creeping around the dark city, evading patrols and looking for the audiophile thingies. Also, the music was fantastic, think Halo music influenced by jazz.

I was a bit disappointed that battlerifle wasn't in the game, and I wasn't too impressed with the silenced weapons, though they were both functional pieces of equipment. So most of the time I was using a Carbine and a sniper whenever I could get my hands on one.

Haven't tried Firefight yet, but probably will when I get home from school today. Should be fun.

All in all, the game was definitely worth buying and I'll likely get alot of entertainement out of it. I might even get back to Halo 3 multiplayer thanks to ODST, I didn't play for the longest time and had gotten rusty, so when I tried playing it again (a couple of weeks ago) it felt so hard and unnatural that I just couldn't be bothered, but now after playing the campaign I feel like I might find the multiplayer enjoyable again.

Spiral out, keep going

Offline SomethingApt

• Machinae Prime
  • [this space for rent]
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2009, 03:30:42 pm »

co-op is always nice...but you know, they could have replaced the aliens, changed some guns, had less downtime (walking around in silence from encounter to encounter) and just gave it a new name and called it a new game.

But then again, it would stop appealing to the Halo fanbois and lose revenue.

You speak as if Microsoft/Bungie have come up with a new concept to rape people's wallets. Expansion Packs are not new, they have existed for a long long time. The only difference with this one is that there is enough content in it to warrant a higher price mark. If you don't like it, don't buy it, nobody is holding a gun to your head.

Halo 'fanbois' aren't brainless idiots, we just like good shooters.

Offline Sirix

• Self proclaimed forum Villain
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2009, 06:01:06 pm »
full priced game 3 hour campaign fail