Author Topic: Street Fighter 4  (Read 2962 times)

Offline evilcandybag

• of Fire
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Armoured Tanks of Mass Destruction
Street Fighter 4
« on: February 27, 2009, 05:26:33 pm »
Got my copy today. First impressions:

+ Good looking.
+ Nice speed and general SF-feeling.
+ Focus system seems very nice.
+ Nice system with two different meters, one for charging normal super moves and EX-moves and one for revenge moves.
- Why do they have to have a lot of the characters locked so I have to grind through Arcade mode to play the game with my friends?
- Why do they have to have a lame high powered end boss that makes the Arcade grind all the more frustrating?
- Only recycled moves for the old characters so far.
- A little too few moves per character in general.

Overall I like the game, but when they force me to play solo aganist computer opponents just to allow me to fully enjoy miltiplayer, i just get tired. SF3 didn't force you to do this, so why should they limit my game in the sequel?
"Actually, wooden stakes are for vampires. Wooden steaks are for vegetarians."

Offline Sirix

• Self proclaimed forum Villain
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
Re: Street Fighter 4
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 01:16:57 am »
I don't get the Street Fighter series.

I appreciate its early contribution to the fighter genre, but other than the fans that came from that, I don't get it.

Personally, I feel that the combat is a little simple, WHILE being complicated.
You need to mash buttons in random directions to get a move that doesn't really have any connection with the directions and buttons you've pressed.

I'm a much bigger fan of the Soul Calibur series.
Each move you do flows so well into every other move and, for the most part, you don't have to hit 6+ buttons for 1 move. Each part of a combo chain is a new button and direction, and it always makes sense with the button and direction you press.

Anyway, I'm sure if I played Street Fighter more I'd appreciate it.

Just an outsider with limited experience opinion.

Offline evilcandybag

• of Fire
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 02:21:53 am »
Actually, it's more of a question if you "get it" or not.
Personally, I like 2D fighting a lot more than 3D fighting. If I enter the command for a move, my character performs that move and no other. I feel like in a 3D fighting game, entering a command might do one out of ten things, depending on a number of different factors; my character often does things that are completely logical, but it's not what I wanted it to do.
I don't get that in a 2D fighting game. A 2D fighting game gives me absolute presicion at the basic level, and then I can add levels of complexity as I see fit (in SF3, do I parry a lot, do I use red parries? in GG, do I use absolute defense, do I use Roman Cancels?).

Overall, I feel 3D fighting games (like Soul Calibur and Virtua Fighter) are too messy for me. With a simpler ruleset, it is possible for true masters to appear (compare chess to more complicated boardgames such as Settlers of Catan).

Offline Mithrandil

• Poetica
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 04:38:59 pm »
Got it last week. Found it rather hard compared to Soul Calibur. Anyone have any good beginner tips?
Like the graphics though :)

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 05:58:10 pm »
Try hadouken mith

Its flawless.

Myself i'm pretty curious about this game, always liked the Alpha series with the awesome combo's and special moves and all that.

Will be checking this out later!

Offline Mirdin

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 08:32:40 pm »
I´m addicted to this game it really rulez. And it´s cool cause I´m getting better and better, although some characters are fucked up like Vega and Guile. Their Ultra Combos are impossible with a Xbox 360 controller. I also think it´s to hard. The Trials are impossible.
I´m not the guy who can do such insane combos of 10 attacks. I also agree that some characters could have more attacks for example Cammy I really like to use her, but after some rounds it´s boring to spam cannon spikes and spiral arrows.
My main character is Chun-Li she has many attacks and some easy combos, and she is pure awesomeness, altough I´m with Ken a little bit better, but if I pick him everybody will call me a noob^^

If anybody wants to fight against me (Xbox360) my gamertag is m1rd1n

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 05:29:11 am »
Well! I have tried this out and after a whole night of playing i almost destroyed a keyboard.

The graphics look awesome. The intro movie looks so great i almost creamed my pants.

But, the gameplay? I am used to combo's being single moves that you combine with punches or kicks to create the next chain in the combo, but here its like medium punch, hard punch, <signature move> <special move> 

Also,

What the fuck is up with that final boss? Seriously when he's like down to half a bar he won't let me do SHIT.

He teleports around like 6 times in 1 second, and he can get behind you and in front of you so you never know which move to do or where to block, he's got zangrief's throw which has the most area effect of all throws, and he's just cheap as hell, i mean, ALL signature moves from other characters? What, did they get lazy at capcom?

Charade has that aswell on Soul Calibur, and there are a lot of tekken characters in the series that do this kind of bullshit aswell. Seriously, just make a new fucking character or leave it out the game.

After 30-50 tries i just wtf'd and smashed alt f4.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 05:31:22 am by Jack Lupino »

Offline Mirdin

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 03:50:14 pm »
Well! I have tried this out and after a whole night of playing i almost destroyed a keyboard.

The graphics look awesome. The intro movie looks so great i almost creamed my pants.

But, the gameplay? I am used to combo's being single moves that you combine with punches or kicks to create the next chain in the combo, but here its like medium punch, hard punch, <signature move> <special move> 

Also,

What the fuck is up with that final boss? Seriously when he's like down to half a bar he won't let me do SHIT.

He teleports around like 6 times in 1 second, and he can get behind you and in front of you so you never know which move to do or where to block, he's got zangrief's throw which has the most area effect of all throws, and he's just cheap as hell, i mean, ALL signature moves from other characters? What, did they get lazy at capcom?

Charade has that aswell on Soul Calibur, and there are a lot of tekken characters in the series that do this kind of bullshit aswell. Seriously, just make a new fucking character or leave it out the game.

After 30-50 tries i just wtf'd and smashed alt f4.

Try it on easy! Seth is is hard cause he is overpowered. Just play this game online against other players that´s fun or invite some friends. Singleplayer sucks

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009, 04:13:39 pm »
I already put it on easy, he's bugged, when you put it on easy he is on hard

THERES A REASON I PICKED EASY CAPCOM

Offline evilcandybag

• of Fire
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2009, 08:10:33 pm »
As I wrote in my first post; I can't see why they stick to such an ancient and tedious concept as forcing players to play lots of single player just to unlock all multiplayer features.

Smeagol

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2009, 08:11:03 pm »
I refuse to believe anything can be as cheap as a human player playing as Jinpachi in Tekken 5 (you have to use a cheat to unlock him, naturally). 'SUPER LASER DEATH ATTACK SUPER LASER DEATH ATTACK I WIN LOLOLOL'

Offline slippy0

• ┐('~`ï¼›)┌
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2009, 08:28:41 pm »
Anyone ever try to beat one of the Mortal Kombat games around SNES era?

Its the same deal, but without super combos.
Motaro, the semi-final boss, was a complete bitch. He takes up half the screen, can teleport instantaneously, shoot laser balls indefinitely, 2 (3 if you're lucky) hits from him kill you, your special moves bounce off him and hit you, and your regular attacks have reduced stun time, and they don't move him so its impossible to juggle or combo.

At my absolute very best, I beat the easiest set of characters on Normal difficulty.
I usually had to play very easy.
See why Massachusetts rocks? We have Slippy <.<

Offline evilcandybag

• of Fire
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2009, 12:28:19 am »
Anyone ever try to beat one of the Mortal Kombat games around SNES era?

Its the same deal, but without super combos.
Motaro, the semi-final boss, was a complete bitch. He takes up half the screen, can teleport instantaneously, shoot laser balls indefinitely, 2 (3 if you're lucky) hits from him kill you, your special moves bounce off him and hit you, and your regular attacks have reduced stun time, and they don't move him so its impossible to juggle or combo.

At my absolute very best, I beat the easiest set of characters on Normal difficulty.
I usually had to play very easy.

Yeah, remember those days. That guy was really designed around the concept of "eating all your change".