Author Topic: So I have entirely lost my voice and should be spending my eveniing in a pub...  (Read 14115 times)

Smeagol

Please give suggestions as to how I can physically order drinks.

Offline evilcandybag

• of Fire
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Armoured Tanks of Mass Destruction
Take a piece of cardboard, write on it: "I have lost my voice. A pint of (whatever you want), please."
"Actually, wooden stakes are for vampires. Wooden steaks are for vegetarians."

Offline Kernel

Point at someone else's drink, then point at yourself with the other hand and nod at the waiter / barkeeper.
Then you get a drink and a glass.
Keep the glass, it's key for the next step: Point at your empty glass for a refill. Signalig a "one" with you index finger or thumb might help bring across that you want "one more".

If you want something else, point at the glass, then gesture wildly. Pointing at someone else's drink might also work, but if you do it too often, the owners of the drinks might feel disturbed...

Smeagol

I'm asking as I had the same issue last night, and I do not think the bar staff were overly impressed with my skill at 'charades'. Also, since when is a twisting hand motion not fucking universal for 'some tap water you fucking idiot, I cannot fell anything in throat but lots of pain'?

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
If you're bent on going to the pub there are some things that are bound to happen. Just stay positive and you'll manage just fine!

==
12300th post!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 09:12:52 pm by Jack Lupino »

Offline LymphoCite_T

• SiteDeveloper
    • visit me at youtube!
If you're bent on going to the pub there are some things that are bound to happen. Just stay positive and you'll manage just fine!

==
12300th post!
lol, spammer.

btw. random board's posts do not count, so it's not your 12300th post :P
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 11:16:57 pm by LymphoCite_T »
:):):)

Offline Annie

• My tumblr, lul.

==
12300th post!
lol, spammer.

btw. random board's posts do not count, so it's not your 12300th post :P

Yet his post count IS at 12300 and he hasn't made any posts since that one. o:
Quote from: Still Not Fiindil
Annie, you ain't fucking human.

Offline ~futilite~

• I have the [Sticky Lizard's Socks of Coolness] :)
Sorry Fiindil, but you made me laugh.

Smeagol

Update on the situation:

I had to bring a notepad with me on my lunch break today to get some goddamn food because I couldn't be heard.

Offline Gravehill

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Dignity! Strength! Love!
Doing the things old-school, eh :D ? Movies stopped being silent decades ago but sometimes life is more wondrous than cinema.

I lost my voice some years ago for few days. It was pain in the ass but really opened my eyes in this matter... It's terrible when one cannot express even basic things orally. But then again I've had hard time expressing myself even with my full arsenal so... Yeah... Anyway, I hope that your voice comes back soon.
Random ramblings and furious feminine novels per versatility.

Smeagol

At first the whole charades thing was hilarious. Now it's just semi-tragic.

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
Re: So I have entirely lost my voice and should be spending my eveniing in a pub
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2009, 07:00:00 pm »
Slap the bartender in the face. You know he likes it.
That's the problem with heroes, really. Their only purpose in life is to thwart others. They make no plans, develop no strategies. They react instead of act. Without villains, heroes would stagnate. Without heroes, villains would be running the world. Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic.

Smeagol

The only bar staff at my usual haunt who don't seem to have a grudge of some kind against me are all female.

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Happiness is Mandatory!
    • My homepage
Well, aren't you a charmer...
...why Torp was picked over you... HE'S JUST BETTER THAN YOU IN EVERY RESPECT. -SomethingGood
<Radicz0r> Torp is well prepared for universal destruction

[03:18:49] <WereVolvo> ARCTIC
[03:18:51] <WereVolvo> not arctic

Smeagol

I swear to god, I don't even know what I'm saying to them half the time. As far as I can tell, my drunken slurred mumblings are clearly positive.