Author Topic: Non-forum CYOA: Whatever the hell you want!  (Read 5074 times)

Offline PrescriptiveBarony

• Machinae Prime
  • Let there be blacklight.
Non-forum CYOA: Whatever the hell you want!
« on: July 06, 2009, 06:55:18 am »
So some of you may be aware of this already via facebook, but I have recently launched a website where you may sign up and then author your very own Choose Your Own Adventure(s).

http://www.cyocyoa.com

It's still pretty new, but I'm adding features on a regular basis, and I'm hoping some of you guys will play around and help populate it with adventures for people to read. The near future will allow more interactivity in terms of rating adventures, commenting on them, etc.

And i have a large list of things I intend to add already (including some sort of inventory/points system), but if there's anything in particular that strikes you as "ooh that'd be cool," i'd love to hear it. Even if it's something on my list or that someone else has already mentioned, knowing what EVERYone wants will help me prioritize.

(Note: i know i'm parodying Caranfin's game in the title, but my site is for making more static CYOAs. His is determined by the posters, who can choose whatever they can think of; mine is meant more to emulate the CYOA books, where all the paths are fixed.)

[though now that i think about it, it wouldn't be difficult to use the site for a variation on this game... hmmmm]
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 07:00:03 am by PrescriptiveBarony »

Quote from: Drakonis
Everybody should just <3.

Offline Caranfin

Re: Non-forum CYOA: Whatever the hell you want!
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 01:13:12 pm »
Very interesting. I made an account and looked through the tutorial, and will definitely be creating some sort of an adventure at some point. Seems pretty straightforward so far, and so I only have a few questions. It seems to me that you can only add one picture per screen at the moment. Is this the case? I would really like the ability to add multiple pictures per screen. Also, would it be possible to implement several possible result screens for a choice, and then a random number generator to decide which of them the player goes to?

(Note: i know i'm parodying Caranfin's game in the title, but my site is for making more static CYOAs. His is determined by the posters, who can choose whatever they can think of; mine is meant more to emulate the CYOA books, where all the paths are fixed.)
Yeah, I'm not quite sure mine qualifies as a CYOA really.

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 10:02:56 pm »
Does it have boobs?
That's the problem with heroes, really. Their only purpose in life is to thwart others. They make no plans, develop no strategies. They react instead of act. Without villains, heroes would stagnate. Without heroes, villains would be running the world. Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic.

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 03:31:08 am »
It seems to me that you can only add one picture per screen at the moment. Is this the case? I would really like the ability to add multiple pictures per screen.

That is the case at the moment. It's not a technical impossibility, or even difficulty, to have more than one, and in fact I have found myself wanting more than one per page as well. So I'll figure out how best to add it. The thing is just that I want the editing screen to be relatively organized, so I'll probably end up doing a minor overhaul of the picture options instead of doing something simple like copy-pasting a few iterations for several possible pictures.  Plus I'll have tiny thumbnails in a grid to choose from instead of just names in a drop-down. It'll be great!

Also, would it be possible to implement several possible result screens for a choice, and then a random number generator to decide which of them the player goes to?

I would need to hear more about the sort of situation this would be for.  I could do it in a hacky way by making it so that a screen with no text would just automatically redirect to one of its choices, but if there's a particular set of circumstances you're thinking of, I might be able to think of something more svelte and intuitive.

Does it have boobs?

Only if people add them. Nobody has thus far been so kind. Which is okay, as I haven't finished the programming for that particular availability status-- Public Restricted, which means you have to sign up and choose to be able to see those adventures, but once you do, you can see any Public Restricted adventures you want.

For the hardcore (or just more personal "gift to my girlfriend"-type) stuff, you'll have to make it a Private adventure, available only by passcode to people you deem fit.

Thanks for taking a look! except for Harvey, who won't unless boobs are involved. I can't say I blame him, but let me just remind you: someone has to be the first to post them.

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 03:57:09 am »
Jack Lupino opens the cupboard.

Offline Caranfin

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 06:53:19 am »
Also, would it be possible to implement several possible result screens for a choice, and then a random number generator to decide which of them the player goes to?
I would need to hear more about the sort of situation this would be for.  I could do it in a hacky way by making it so that a screen with no text would just automatically redirect to one of its choices, but if there's a particular set of circumstances you're thinking of, I might be able to think of something more svelte and intuitive.
Hmm. Let's say a hypothetical adventure asks the player if they want to climb a cliff. I might want to leave the success somewhat up to chance and have a 25% chance of failure, for example. The player would then have option 1: "No way, look for another way in." which would work like it does now and just redirect them to "Oh cool a flying apparatus", and option 2: "Hell yes, let's climb!" which has two possible outcomes ("Oh no I seem to be dead", and "Hooray I'm finally on top") and generates a random number between 1 and 4 to see which one the player gets redirected to.

A possible way to make it work (from a user interface perspective, not the code making it work) would be to have a way to add more than one of the choice screen dropdown things under a single choice text. You would then have an additional field where you would determine the range of possible numbers for the random number generator, as well as unique fields for each of the choice screens where you would set the range of result numbers that make the player redirect to the screen.

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 07:26:47 am »
I see...

I think this would be something to add in my planned "Truly Adventurous" expansion.

Right now, the site and experience is geared towards a casual user; there's nothing preventing someone from simply clicking Back and returning to a previous screen (like in the CYOA books, where people like to mark intriguing forks so they can see all the possibilities). But there are a few things, including the inventory/points system that i mentioned before, that would be fun to have but would make more sense if a go-through of the story were forcibly one-way.

Same with what you're proposing; I'd want to prevent people from simply going back and trying again. It would also mean a more complex interface, which isn't bad in and of itself, but if it's something that's always available it might turn some people off. So what I'm thinking is an option that marks an adventure as "Advanced" or something, and turns on all these bonus features (with the complexity that comes with them), but by default it's a more casual authoring and viewing experience. I'd still want to make the unrestricted navigation a possibility.

Anyway, I appreciate your explication! Having conversations about it and seeing people use it is the best way to motivate myself to keep working.

Offline ~futilite~

• I have the [Sticky Lizard's Socks of Coolness] :)
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 09:15:31 pm »
I tried it out now and it seems like there are bugs? They don't destroy everything, I can build adventures, but I wondered if it is bad, if it says something like this: "Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/abombmcgee/cyocyoa.com/members.php on line 763"

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 11:47:20 pm »
whoops! thanks for noticing that. I'm glad someone let me know....

anyway, it's fixed now.

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2009, 10:45:13 am »
Due to popular demand, I have added a ratings system!

And it's starting to be populated with bunches of new adventures... wheee

Offline Ant

• Donated so refic can buy beer
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • It's personal text.
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2009, 10:53:48 am »
Once I return from uni I shall play with this... and myself.

A boob adventure sounds like a good idea Harvey
But if one day we meet together while I'm drunk, I promise you to draw a big group sex picture including a lot of forumites. :D

Ich bin ein Berliner, Frankfurter, Hamburger und Bonner