Author Topic: Forum CYOA: Mercenary  (Read 29570 times)

Offline Gravehill

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Dignity! Strength! Love!
Re: Forum CYOA: Mercenary
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2009, 12:19:17 am »
My suggestions:

Marching order suggestion ; Kimhren to the point ; she can spot dangers and because her abilities she can overcome them easier than others. She moves cautiously and her primary objective is to raport possible seen dangers and stuff backwards with gestures. Secondary objective is to neutralize possible dangers if it can be done easily and without great danger. She has quite lot autonomy in tight spots. When she takes break to maximise her alertness she swap place with second point.

Haq-ilar Nabar is the second point. His primary objective is follow Kimhren lead and continue her gestures backwards. He shall be messenger between point and main group in tight spots. He's on command of Kimhren because "you're my oldest friends and I need someone I trust there on front - do what Kimhren says (have you noticed how hot chick she is and I think she might be interested in strong hunk like you) but report to me everything" and his secondary objective is to back up and protect Kimhren, be that "hidden punch that gets us the advantage". Sometimes he is swapped to point to give Kimhren some rest - while he is on point he has low autonomity on tight spots. Second points place is 5-20 metres backwards from point, maintaining line of view.

Rest of group comes 10-30 metres behind second point in two pairs ; first pair is Ste've (my suggestion to name) on right side with his sword and bow and to his left side there's Crazy Douglas with his staff. Some 5 metres behind these two there's Rielna on the right side with her halberd and to her left side there's Sehra. Each pair has 2 metres between them.

This formation floats freely ; on open terrain it speads longer and in when visibility is reduced it tightens up. Ste've calls the shots. Point tries to move on cautiously or hidden depending on situation, it also waits for rest of the group if needed. Rest of the group tries to move as hidden as possible. Point moves fastest, then waits for others. This is standard procedure. On open terrain where's there lots of visibility group moves faster as it's quite small and moves on foot.

Loot is divided so that 40% of valuables goes to "common purse" which is used for good of the party - Ste've holds the common purse/bag. Each party member get 10% of loot valuables. Also Ste've can give additional bonus from common bag, up to 10% of that jobs loot to some party member whose actions have been decisive on heat of action (or to fulfill the aim/most kills etc...). Rest of the usable stuff is divided with main principle "who uses this best" ; Kimhren gets dark/camouflage clothes (cloaks, for example), soft boots, daggers, bolts and crossbows (and parts) and assination tools (ropes and stuff). Ste've gets swords, arrows and bows, animal stuff and so on. Rielna has first priority when dealing with herbs, food stuff, medicines, halberds and stuff like that. Crazy Douglas gets tech stuff and part of tools, usually. Also staff like weapons. Haq-ilar Nabar gets small junk, gloves, boots and protective clothes - also his part of dark/camouflage clothes. Sehra gets raw materials and broken stuff so she can fix or build something out of them. She also gets part of tools. Rest of stuff is divided on basis "finder's keeper".

Strictness of discipline on party isn't that high - these are more band of amateurish friends to each other than highly disciplined band of professional soldiers. Means of disciplinary action is that first there's mean tasks to do (like digging up the shithole to ground at campsite and filling it afterwards) and on serious cases there's three warning's method ; 1st warning goes without penalty, 2nd warning drops 4% off from loot share (goes to common purse) and 3rd warning takes away everything else but 2% of loot share (meaning that 8% goes to common bag).
Random ramblings and furious feminine novels per versatility.

Offline Ant

• Donated so refic can buy beer
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • It's personal text.
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2009, 01:54:11 am »
I came on to post my thoughts on formation and looting and found Gravehill had already done it for me. Brilliant thinking Gravehill :D
But if one day we meet together while I'm drunk, I promise you to draw a big group sex picture including a lot of forumites. :D

Ich bin ein Berliner, Frankfurter, Hamburger und Bonner

Offline Laser.T

• 日本人ですか?
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2009, 04:27:57 am »
Gravey has it covered ;D

I also vote Ste've

Offline Ant

• Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • It's personal text.
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2009, 05:51:19 pm »
After reading the loot dispersion again, I wish to put the point forward that perhaps Ste've (my vote) should get 20% and common bag should be 30%, he is after all the leader of the group and as such should be distinguished in this way in almost all aspects of the group.

Also, from a psychological point of view, perhaps Ste've should be a little ahead of Douglas. In pack terms the leader is always at the head of the pack and never anyone in front of him/her (with the exception to scouts who don't technically form part of the pack formation), if Douglas was to be walking by his side it would give off the energy that they are a partnership in the role of being leader and that may have the affect that Douglas feels he's due more than the others.
But if one day we meet together while I'm drunk, I promise you to draw a big group sex picture including a lot of forumites. :D

Offline Gravehill

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2009, 09:17:55 pm »
Hmmm... That loot thing might work better. Also, as Ant pointed out, it might be good idea for Ste've to walk ahead of Douglas, maybe even with 2nd scout? If done that way his bow's reach would be better right from the start and it could be used to cover scouts retreat to closer battle formation, if it seems necessary. Plus of course it would not be necessary for Nabar to run around with them messages (although he seems to like running much :) ). If Ste've would walk with 2nd scout they should be little more far from actual scout... If Ste've walks between 2nd scout and Douglas then of course it wouldn't be necessary. Hmmm...

Offline Laser.T

• 日本人ですか?
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2009, 04:32:06 am »
I don't think Ant is suggesting Ste've walks ahead of the group. I think he remains in the group, but instead of side-by-side with Douglas, he walks just in front of him. This is symbolic, as leader he needs to be head of the pack, leading the party. If Douglas was walking with him it would seem to all that Douglas also wielded power of the group, so he needs to be kept just behind to show that he answers to Ste've

Like this:
Code: [Select]
                                                                     x    x
 x                                 x                              x       x

As for loot, I can't decide. It depends on if Ste've is the authority (Ant's suggestion) or if there's a sense of comradeship in the group (Gravey's).
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 04:34:22 am by aka. »

Offline Ant

• Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • It's personal text.
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2009, 02:45:13 pm »
Code: [Select]
                                                                     x    x
 x                                 x                              x       x

Yep, that's exactly what I meant.

And yes about the loot, it's more of a cosmetic thing, when we're recruiting more members will we want to appear as if Ste've is the ultimate power wielder in the group and everyone needs to follow him or if there is some room for equality in the group. As we are going to be playing as the leader I say more loot for us ;)

Offline Caranfin

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2009, 01:54:43 am »
There have been two suggestions on how to divide valuables thus far, as well as three possible travel formations.

Valuable division

1. Every partymember gets 10% of loot, 40% goes to a common purse
2. Ste've gets 20% of the loot, the rest of the party gets 10%, and the common purse is 30%

Travel formation

A. Kimhren is 1st point, Haq-Ilar is 2nd. Ste've walks side to side with Douglas.
B. Kimhren is 1st point, Haq-Ilar is 2nd. Ste've walks a bit ahead of Douglas to symbolise leadership.
C. Kimhren is 1st point, Haq-Ilar is 2nd. Ste've is third and well ahead of the rest of the party.

In relation to C, it should be noted that if Ste've is too far from the main group to effectively issue commands to them, you need to assign someone in the main group as it's leader while Ste've is away.

The consensus on dividing looted equipment seems to be clear, however:
Kimhren gets dark/camouflage clothes (cloaks, for example), soft boots, daggers, bolts and crossbows (and parts) and assination tools (ropes and stuff). Ste've gets swords, arrows and bows, animal stuff and so on. Rielna has first priority when dealing with herbs, food stuff, medicines, halberds and stuff like that. Crazy Douglas gets tech stuff and part of tools, usually. Also staff like weapons. Haq-ilar Nabar gets small junk, gloves, boots and protective clothes - also his part of dark/camouflage clothes. Sehra gets raw materials and broken stuff so she can fix or build something out of them. She also gets part of tools. Rest of stuff is divided on basis "finder's keeper".

Everyone who wishes to influence the decision should do so by voting for their preferred choice in this thread. You can of course still suggest something new.

Also, money.

The world, at least the part you are familiar with, operates on a principle of commodity money: a coin is valuable because it is made out of a certain amount of a valuable material, and it will retain it's value even if it's melted or altered. Having it as an officially recognised minted coin only serves as a guarantee that the material is indeed pure. There are a lot of different coins in Prajna alone, not to mention the rest of the world, but the values of the materials they are commonly made of stay relatively same:

Gold is three times as valuable as silver, which is twice as valuable as steel, which in turn is 1,5 times as valuable as copper.

The most commonly used coins in your kindom are:

Chlak, a very small copper coin weighing around a quarter of a gram.
Irlobos, steel coin weighing 0,5g. Worth 3 chlak.
Lobos, silver coin weighing 0,5g. Worth 2 irlobos.

Hama (lit. "one ma"), silver coin weighing 3g. Worth 6 lobos.
Dhima (lit. "three ma"), silver coin weighing 9g
Bahma (lit. "ten ma"), silver and gold coin weighing 15g

Three hama is a standard weekly wage for low-skilled labour. One will get you very modest quarters and food for a week, or three litres of good wine and the container it's in.

Work and getting paid

Your group is employed by Lord Mahrihan of the kingdom of Prajna. You get paid some money for every job you do for him, the amount depending on the difficulty of the mission. You are allowed to take contracts from other people, but you are not allowed to turn down any of the Lord's missions unless you can convince him that you would not have a chance to succeed. The penalty for turning down his missions without proper purpose is exile from his area of power and a significantly lessened chance of getting a job anywhere in the kingdom.

When you are not doing a job for the Lord, you are entitled to collect two hama for every member of your party for every week you stay in his city. (At the moment this would mean 12 hama, or 36 grams of silver, every week.) You will also have sleeping quarters reserved in his garrison for everyone in your party. The downside of this is that you have a responsibility to aid the city against any threat, and will be placed under the direct command of an army officer in the event of an attack, a rebellion, or similar.

A question
Will you divide your wages the same way you're going to divide your looted valuables? If not, how are you going to divide them?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 02:10:51 am by Caranfin »

Offline Laser.T

• 日本人ですか?
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2009, 06:17:48 am »
I think I'll vote for 2-B (Ste've gets a greater share for being leader and walks slightly ahead of Douglas).

you are entitled to collect two hama for every member of your party for every week you stay in his city
What are they doing to earn this wage? Just being there? Or doing odd-jobs?
Either way, I think while they are under the command of the Lord directly they should all earn their own wage and not have to share it with others.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 02:41:40 pm by aka. »

Offline Caranfin

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2009, 01:16:24 pm »
you are entitled to collect two hama for every member of your party for every week you stay in his city
What are they doing to earn this wage? Just being there? Or doing odd-jobs?
Either way, I think while they are under the command of the Lord directly they should all earn their own wage and not have to share it with others.
You are technically an autonomous part of his militia while you're staying in the city, so you're supposed to help keep order and certainly not cause any trouble yourselves. He also has the ability to immediately assign you under command of the actual military if he wants to.

The Lord didn't bother creating a very large standing military, since he had a close cousin in a relatively high position of power in the Ahimic empire and was sure of the cousin protecting him in the event of a war. The cousin stopped answering the Lord's letters a few weeks before the war broke out, and he found himself without sufficient troops to protect his cities. He panicked and started hiring any capable-seeming mercenary groups with contracts similar to yours. The purpose of the payment is to keep you in the city while you're idle, so that he'll have a decent defence force should anyone attack. A hasty decision, which he's now paying the price for every time he hasn't got jobs for the multitude of mercenaries he's hired. In addition to the money he's losing, bored mercenaries equals trouble, even if they're supposed to help in guarding the city.

One more decision needed, which I forgot out of my last post.

All of your group has their own stuff to carry, but who will carry the rest of your equipment? You've got at least a week's worth of food for everyone, which weighs around 40kg, and three wooden 10 litre containers of water (in addition to your own personal waterskins). You've also got six thick blankets.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 01:58:49 pm by Caranfin »

Offline Ant

• Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • It's personal text.
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2009, 12:42:25 pm »
2-B, obviously, as it was my suggestion!

As for weight dispersal within group I haven't really thought about it, I guess the back 4 should be carrying it.

Offline Gravehill

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2009, 09:59:32 pm »
Well... Most stuff should be indeed dispensed between maingroup leaving scouts more agile, moving and easier to hide. Our group's Achillee's heel is that most of our group are weaklings... Only Nabar is someone who is blessed with little more strenght and he's our 2nd scout! This naturally means that our group shall move with light gear to destination as Ant pointed out, maingroup carrying as much gear as it's comfortable. Nabar could carry more than Ste've and Kimhren would carry lightest package. This way Kimhren could stay as scout for longer period and it might be possible that she lasts longer than maingroup... Lighter pack means more guarding and patrolling around campsites etc...

When coming back from mission it's more possible that the danger comes from behind... So my suggestion is that when heading back marching order would be little different - Kimhren would stay as tail (keeping lookout for chasers and trying to erase tracks etc...) and Nabar could lead (carrying as much as possible because ofcourse we want to gather lots of spoils of war)... Hopefully our packs shall carry more anyway as we have eaten at least part of the food before heading back etc...

2-B sounds as good plan otherwise, 30% is lot when thought closer.

Offline Laser.T

• 日本人ですか?
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2009, 09:10:44 am »
As little should be carried by the scouts as possible, not including their own personal baggage. Nadar, however, could carry a little bit more, but not so much as to slow him down or impede him. So, the majority of baggage must be carried by the main-group-4. Best to split it qually between them, though Douglas is possibly a little stronger so maybe his share of baggage should be a little greater.

I like Gravey's idea of a different marching order on the way back too.

Offline Caranfin

« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2009, 12:44:17 pm »
Rielna is the only one of your group that would have significant trouble carrying heavy stuff around. She gets tired very easily. The rest of your group won't be slowed down significantly unless you decide to make one guy carry everything or something silly like that.

Offline Sirix

• Self proclaimed forum Villain
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2009, 02:00:54 pm »
holy shit this sounds complicated + wall of text X 30.

yowch