Author Topic: board games  (Read 1428 times)

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
board games
« on: April 25, 2009, 01:12:34 pm »
Just wanted to put something completely different in here, also I got tired of seeing the same topics every time I visited :P

How many of you guys play board games as a hobby? Recently I was introduced to Euro-style games via Settlers of Catan, which is pretty fun and almost everyone likes it so it's been easy to get my friends to game with me as long as we play that at least once. But, as far as light "gateway games" go, what I really like is two-player Carcassonne (a simple tile-laying game), with the Inns and Cathedrals expansion. Another good, but sort of off-the-wall game is Pandemic, which came out last year and is about jetsetting around the globe curing virulent disease. It's actually a cooperative game, and I haven't met anyone who doesn't like it yet (even when the game wrecks us, our reaction is usually "rematch!").

Like I said, I only got into games recently (after more or less disavowing video games), so if anyone has suggestions for games I should try I'm all for it, and if anyone just wants to play, hit me up on MSN, AIM, or just PM me here on the forums -- www.brettspielwelt.de has a pretty mondo selection and I'm almost always up for a game.

And if anyone is interested in the actual rules for these games, check out BoardGameGeek. I've linked the appropriate game pages in the post; jumping down to "files" and sorting by "hot" will generally bring it up on the first page.
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Offline evilcandybag

• of Fire
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Armoured Tanks of Mass Destruction
Re: board games
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 01:20:42 pm »
I don't play board games as a hobby, but they can be quite fun at times. Favorites are Carcassonne, the Civilization board game and the old Mutant Chronicles board game.
"Actually, wooden stakes are for vampires. Wooden steaks are for vegetarians."

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 01:37:24 pm »
Yeah, I like Carcassonne a lot. Actually, I only know one person who doesn't, and that's because he doesn't find it "intellectually stimulating" (this was said right before he left to go do a raid on WoW, so).
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Offline Gravehill

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Dignity! Strength! Love!
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 02:04:40 pm »
Settlers of Catan is fun game, played it couple of times as one of my friends have it. I have approx 10 or 15 board games myself, most played are Warlock and Marnon I think. There's one finnish board game site I browse every now and then and I've had my eyes on couple of boardgames... Too bad I don't have money to buy anything atm. Next boardgame I gonna buy will probably be one of those Lovecraft themed games available... People say that it gets repeating after several gaming sessions but since I rarely have opportunity to participate in boardgamefunniness that's not going to be problem I think. Also I have decided to buy Fluxxx some day, it's nice card game with rules changing all the time :)
Random ramblings and furious feminine novels per versatility.

Offline WereVolvo

• IRC Love Butter supplier
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Volvot ulvoo kuun savuun!
    • My personal site
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 02:15:59 pm »
Yay for board games! I haven't played a huge bunch of them, but  Carcassonne is fun, and so is Settlers of Catan.
A couple of suggestions for ya:

Thurn and Taxis

A network building game where the goal is to build a post office route in the Bavarians. Sounds dull, but is actually quite fun. The game's won several game of the year awards, if I'm not mistaken

Cults Across America

One of my personal favourites. Cthulhoid mythology meets wargame meets humour. You play as a bunch of fanatic cultists trying to dominate the US, with such tools and creatures as Cthulhu, the Satanic Pushcart and the Miskatonic University Marching Band.

Alhambra

A building game where the objective is to create your own town/castle complex (long time since I played it, can't remember the exact details, but it was rather fun).
<@Torp> I have seen your melted pussy!

Real Dwarfs wall themselves in once they are underground, and survive through incest and cat farming.

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 03:18:49 pm »
I've actually had my eye on Thurn and Taxis for a while now, same with Alhambra. I've never heard of Cults across America, though, thanks for mentioning it. I've been wanting to try a wargame, and this looks sufficiently ridiculous to keep my interest.

Offline Ant

• Donated so refic can buy beer
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • It's personal text.
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2009, 04:04:04 pm »
Scotland Yard, Colditz, Age Of Mythology, Hero Quest, Dungeons and Dragons, Monopoly, Time's up, Cranium, Risk, and Axis and Allies. Usually, I play them all 1-3 times a year as they are my favourite board games and they are particularly fun when you can entice enough people to fit the maximum of players.
But if one day we meet together while I'm drunk, I promise you to draw a big group sex picture including a lot of forumites. :D

Ich bin ein Berliner, Frankfurter, Hamburger und Bonner