Author Topic: Reggae  (Read 2978 times)

Offline Wiinis

• Excuse me, I'm off to play the grand piano
Reggae
« on: January 13, 2009, 03:33:27 am »
So, does anybody here listen to reggae? According to the search function there's no topic about it, so I thought I'd make one. I'll make a small list of bands I like for people to check out, if they're intrested. Also if somebody has a reggae artist they want to infict upon others, this is a good place for that.  ;)

Well, firstly there's the obvious one, Bob Marley & The Wailers, the single most popular reggae band ever. Formed by Bob Marley after his original band, The Wailers, broke up in 1974. Probably everybody has heard them at least somewhere, but here's a link to Concrete Jungle.

Peter Tosh was one of the original members of The Wailers, but when the band broke up he pursued a solo career. In his lyrics he is known for being very critical towards the system and for demanding the legalization of marihuana. Here's a link to his song Bush Doctor.

Next to bands perhaps everyone hasn't heard of. Groundation is a reggae band that was found in 1998 in California, USA. Their music has taken some influence from jazz and dub. They are the first reggae band I fell in love with. Here's a link to a song, If I.

The Abyssinians are a roots reggae band started in the 1969. They're famous for promotion of rastafari movement in their lyrics. Here's Declaration of Rights.

Those are the most important ones for me, special mention to Easy Star All-Stars, they are apparently known for turning popular music into reggae/dub. For example, they made a dub version of Pink Floyd's Darkside of the Moon, named "Dubside of the Moon".  :)

Hope you people enjoy the songs I linked, or at least found this post a good way to spend a few moments. :P

Spiral out, keep going

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
Re: Reggae
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 07:19:33 am »
Bumbaclot!

Ever hear of the Maytals? They're famous for performing anywhere, as long as you make travel arrangements and give them food and a place to stay.
That's the problem with heroes, really. Their only purpose in life is to thwart others. They make no plans, develop no strategies. They react instead of act. Without villains, heroes would stagnate. Without heroes, villains would be running the world. Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic.

Offline Wiinis

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 10:06:30 pm »
Bumbaclot!

Ever hear of the Maytals? They're famous for performing anywhere, as long as you make travel arrangements and give them food and a place to stay.

Nope, I haven't. :p Will check them out at some point. ^^

Spiral out, keep going

Offline Ant

• Donated so refic can buy beer
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • It's personal text.
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 11:58:29 am »
Dub reggae is teh awesome and is ska allowed in this topic? I got lotsa ska to suggest.
But if one day we meet together while I'm drunk, I promise you to draw a big group sex picture including a lot of forumites. :D

Ich bin ein Berliner, Frankfurter, Hamburger und Bonner

Offline Wiinis

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 04:21:17 pm »
Dub reggae is teh awesome and is ska allowed in this topic? I got lotsa ska to suggest.

Well, it's fine by me. Might as well keep that here too?

Also I was supposed to link this last time, but forgot. http://bigupradio.com, it's an internet radio, they've got 7 stations, roots, ska, dub and whatnot.

Spiral out, keep going

Smeagol

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2009, 05:17:19 pm »
If we're recommending ska as well, then I will suggest Streetlight Manifesto.

Offline Ant

• Donated so refic can buy beer
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • It's personal text.
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009, 05:53:53 pm »
Well let's start with the obvious: The Police and Madness
But if one day we meet together while I'm drunk, I promise you to draw a big group sex picture including a lot of forumites. :D

Ich bin ein Berliner, Frankfurter, Hamburger und Bonner

Offline evilcandybag

• of Fire
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Armoured Tanks of Mass Destruction
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2009, 06:23:22 pm »
Bad Manners make awesome ska. Saw them live at Rebellion in Blackpool last summer. The whole venue shook with people dancing.
"Actually, wooden stakes are for vampires. Wooden steaks are for vegetarians."