Author Topic: Windows 7 available for public beta test 09/01/09 (TOMORROW!)  (Read 13197 times)

Offline Cerapter

• 100% Recycled
    • Home
Re: Windows 7 available for public beta test 09/01/09 (TOMORROW!)
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2009, 11:15:12 pm »
My reaction to this is like when Nintendo announced the DSi.
Just close your eyes and keep your mind wide open.

Offline evilcandybag

• of Fire
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Armoured Tanks of Mass Destruction
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2009, 11:31:46 pm »
"Well, it has a camera, so fucking what?"
"Actually, wooden stakes are for vampires. Wooden steaks are for vegetarians."

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2009, 07:09:33 am »
The most my physical computer can take is 2GB RAM, so there's no fucking way my CPU can handle anything more than 4. :(

I'm very tempted to try this, though. Has anyone run into huge problems yet?
That's the problem with heroes, really. Their only purpose in life is to thwart others. They make no plans, develop no strategies. They react instead of act. Without villains, heroes would stagnate. Without heroes, villains would be running the world. Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic.

Offline yas‮

• The laziest one.
  • I believe in respawn.
    • Me on SoundCloud
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2009, 03:36:47 pm »
Quote from: a site
Several reports from users testing the latest leaked build of Windows 7 indicate a potential data corruption issue using Microsoft's Windows Media Player 12.

Windows 7 beta 1 build 7000 leaked over the Christmas holidays and a Microsoft spokesperson has confirmed that there is a bug which affects the leaked build. Approximately 2-3 seconds will get shaved off the beginning of MP3s if you have set your Windows Media Player 12 settings to retrieve information from the internet and update files. The default configuration for WMP12 sets this if you use the "express" option during setup.

"The problem only happens when you edit metadata on a certain class of MP3 file (a file with a header larger than 16KB). When the new metadata is written, it corrupts the beginning of the file. This can happen either when you edit the metadata from inside WMP or Explorer, or it can happen if you have WMP set to automatically fill in missing metadata using the online service and add the MP3 to your library. This problem is only present in the recently leaked build" (7000) according to one poster in our forums.

Microsoft's official response is "Microsoft is aware of this issue and it will be addressed in the beta program". The company is currently hard at work readying a QFE (quick fix engineering) patch that will be distributed by Windows Update for those with official and non-official access. A support (KB) article is expected soon.

This highlights the importance of not using leaked builds with any applications or data that is critical and waiting for beta builds from official channels. We expect Microsoft to stress the urgency of applying the QFE patch to those in the beta program.

Offline Bocom

• SiteDeveloper
  • I'm in despair!
    • Woah there!
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2009, 12:30:11 am »
I'm not trying this. I spent 15+ hours to expand my Vista drive (taking some space from the XP drive), and now I don't really have any space to make a new partition to try it out. (I could try it out by installing it over my XP installation, but then I lose my only 32-bit OS)
This quote is out of context:
<Bocom> I'm also going to see Quantum of Solace later
<Syndicated> Bocom: it is fucking scary
(@Radicz0r) Fuck! Its friday, and you wankers are talking about PIE. Pie! What the hell?

Offline Cerapter

• 100% Recycled
    • Home
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2009, 02:10:57 am »
I still feel this is the new ME.
Just close your eyes and keep your mind wide open.

Ankle

Offline Chronologix

• SiteDeveloper
  • I am Canadian!
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2009, 03:57:30 am »
Using Win7 right now, I am not used to some things, some of the ways the control panel handles devices, the taskbar compression, and I cannot seem to play folders/sub-folders in winamp through right-click anymore :(

Offline Sirix

• Self proclaimed forum Villain
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2009, 02:56:00 pm »
Windows 7 revealed to have every bull shit version past windows have had.

business
professional
home
give us your money for a different colored box plx thx.
etc
etc

boooo-urns

Offline SpeedD

• Machinae Prime
  • Canada, BITCH!
    • Egg!
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2009, 06:30:28 pm »
Windows 7 revealed to have every bull shit version past windows have had.

business
professional
home
give us your money for a different colored box plx thx.
etc
etc

boooo-urns

Source?
"What I felt was turned, in the tempest forged to hate. My soul I disconnected, and called out the Lightbringer to the gate."

Offline SweZor

• Keeper of the SweZword
    • A blog devoid of activity.
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2009, 09:57:34 pm »
SAUCE!!
--
Or
--
[Citation Needed]

Offline SomethingApt

• Machinae Prime
  • [this space for rent]
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2009, 03:12:11 am »
I installed the latest beta of Windows 7 on my macbook (out of boredom) and I must say, kudos to you microsoft. Yes, you've blatently copied OSX in every conceivable way, but (unlike Vista) you've actually done it fairly well this time. It looks nice, seems to run fairly quickly, and the new interface is fairly intuitive. I particularly like how dragging a window to the side of the sceen resizes it to fill half of the screen, very useful when programming and looking at 2 classes.

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2009, 09:57:28 pm »
My cousin and his friends have all installed it on their computers. Some of them have had problems with the 32-bit version, but none of them have had problems with the 64-bit. Some even switched from the 32 to the 64 and have been perfectly satisfied.
That's the problem with heroes, really. Their only purpose in life is to thwart others. They make no plans, develop no strategies. They react instead of act. Without villains, heroes would stagnate. Without heroes, villains would be running the world. Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic.

Offline yas‮

• The laziest one.
  • I believe in respawn.
    • Me on SoundCloud
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2009, 02:59:25 pm »
I using the x64 7077 build for a week or so as my primary system. No hangups, no hiccups, fast as hell even with all the GUI enhancing shitz0r turned on. Love the new taskbar, and didn't have any bigger problems with the drivers or installing any of the software. My lappy is C2D 2,2 GHz, 2 GB of RAM and GeForce 8600M GS (which sucks big time). My WE score is 3.5 (because of the gfx card). And it's faster than XP, srsly.

Offline SweZor

• Keeper of the SweZword
    • A blog devoid of activity.
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2009, 12:38:38 pm »
Win7 RC1 is out in the wild!

All free for everyone that wants it, just logon with your liveID and pick the version you want! No limits this time, it'll work 100% until March 1 2010 (almost a year). It's basicly a free one year trial of Windows 7 for the public! :D

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/download.aspx

The only limit is that it'll only be availible for download until the end of July, after that you'll have to wait for the real release.