Author Topic: Question about amps and effects  (Read 2408 times)

Offline Mithrandil

• Poetica
Question about amps and effects
« on: December 25, 2008, 08:05:26 pm »
Just got my Boss ME-50, and been playing around with getting the sound I wanted (have finally 2 presets made - a clean and a distorted one). I set the sound up via a headset jack on the pedal.

Problem is when I connect it to my amp (current one is a Line 6 Spider 3 15W) the distorted sound turns all messy and flat. Is this due to my amp being too weak? Are there any recommendations for a decent priced amp, usable for future gigs that work well with effectpedals as well?

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
Re: Question about amps and effects
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2008, 08:38:29 pm »
I pmm'ed you about this matter weeks ago. Are you looking for a second opinion or haven't you gone to the store yet and have let yourself been blown away by awesomeness?

Offline Mithrandil

• Poetica
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2008, 09:59:24 pm »
The musicshop close to me don't have that brand in, so I gotta order it online when I get cash ;) But just wanted to get some other opinions as well, so I get a better picture what's out there :)

But just wondering, does a more powerful amp help produce the sound from the pedal better?

Edit: Actually, I placed an order for the Peavey Bandit 112 today :)
« Last Edit: December 25, 2008, 10:13:56 pm by Mithrandil »

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2008, 10:18:26 pm »
The musicshop close to me don't have that brand in, so I gotta order it online when I get cash ;) But just wanted to get some other opinions as well, so I get a better picture what's out there :)

But just wondering, does a more powerful amp help produce the sound from the pedal better?

Edit: Actually, I placed an order for the Peavey Bandit 112 today :)
To answer your question, yes. That's probably the reason why big bands don't record their albums on a 15W amp.
Tip : if you see a lot of bands use certain gear, try that shit out because 9/10 times its awesome.

Though you gotta stay in comparison, having a cabinet the size of mount everest does not mean it will sound awesome. There are certain setups that are a perfect match and they're widely known so finding them will be a piece of cake.

By the way what kind of music store is that when they don't have the brand Peavey?
Its ridiculous really.

Offline Mithrandil

• Poetica
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2008, 10:27:56 pm »
They have a fair amount of expensive tube amps, and only a few Line 6 Spider 3's in the solidstate kind. But I found a shop online that carries Peavey, so I decided to order it, since they only had one left :)