Author Topic: Movies - recently watched  (Read 16117 times)

Offline WereVolvo

• IRC Love Butter supplier
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Volvot ulvoo kuun savuun!
    • My personal site
Re: Movies - recently watched
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2009, 10:32:57 pm »
Wall-E (9/10)

The first half an hour or so is pretty much cinematic perfection. Excellent premise, absolutely stunning visuals, instantly loveable characters (who you are made to feel a real connection with, despite the lack of proper vocals). The quality dips fractionally in the second half, but the cg is still incredible and the story remains fun. Instant classic.

This would be the same Wall-E which has 'DESTROYING THE PLANET IS BAD' and 'STOP BEING FAT AND LAZY' as it's main messages? The same Wall-E which has delusions of being high art by virtue of there being so little dialog in the film? I just don't get what so many people saw in it.

It's funny and cute.

Clearly, the only people that dislike it also dislike puppies, rainbows, and the laughter of small children.

ie, Fiindil.
<@Torp> I have seen your melted pussy!

Real Dwarfs wall themselves in once they are underground, and survive through incest and cat farming.

Smeagol

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2009, 01:57:56 am »
Wall-E (9/10)

The first half an hour or so is pretty much cinematic perfection. Excellent premise, absolutely stunning visuals, instantly loveable characters (who you are made to feel a real connection with, despite the lack of proper vocals). The quality dips fractionally in the second half, but the cg is still incredible and the story remains fun. Instant classic.

This would be the same Wall-E which has 'DESTROYING THE PLANET IS BAD' and 'STOP BEING FAT AND LAZY' as it's main messages? The same Wall-E which has delusions of being high art by virtue of there being so little dialog in the film? I just don't get what so many people saw in it.

It's funny and cute.

Clearly, the only people that dislike it also dislike puppies, rainbows, and the laughter of small children.

Well, 2 out of 3 isn't that bad.

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2009, 03:57:42 am »
Wall-E (9/10)

It's funny and cute.

Well, 2 out of 3 isn't that bad.

Or, "my heart isn't that black yet".
That's the problem with heroes, really. Their only purpose in life is to thwart others. They make no plans, develop no strategies. They react instead of act. Without villains, heroes would stagnate. Without heroes, villains would be running the world. Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic.

Smeagol

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2009, 10:30:46 pm »
I would possibly hate rainbows as well, were they not used as the emblem for winning a luck roll in the Heroes of Might and Magic games.

But, more on topic: Mirrors. Avoid at all costs. It is woeful.

Offline gaijin

• Hiding behind the couch
  • Community Supporter
  • "You sound like the Morning Star"
    • Motljus
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2009, 10:42:26 pm »
Also.. Wall-E didn't really impress me. But then again, I've got a lump of coal instead of a heart anyway, so it's all expected.
Oi, is this when I get a huge sig-image, start whining about "moar sid" and make nonsensical arguments to no good?

Offline Laser.T

• 日本人ですか?
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2009, 08:49:14 am »
I thought Wall-e was fantastic. The characters were charming and the storyline was really good, for a children's film. And there was the added benefit that I could understand most of it even though it was in Japanese dub. Sure its morals were shoved in your face until you choked, but maybe that's what was needed to persuade the next generation...

I also watched the new version of The Day The World Stood Still (Japanese sub thankfully). Quite god for a remake, more morals kicked down your neck, but oh well, looked fantastic even if the characters were frustratingly dumb (as they always are in these kinda things) at times.

Offline Ant

• Donated so refic can buy beer
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • It's personal text.
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2009, 11:53:34 am »
Stranger Than Fiction - Not necessarily new movies right? Anyway stars Will Ferrel as an IRS agent who begins to have his life narrated in his head by some odd woman. Powerful movie, makes you laugh, makes you sad then makes you laugh even harder. Also Dustin Hoffman is in it.
But if one day we meet together while I'm drunk, I promise you to draw a big group sex picture including a lot of forumites. :D

Ich bin ein Berliner, Frankfurter, Hamburger und Bonner

Offline Cerapter

• 100% Recycled
    • Home
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2009, 02:51:10 pm »
The Dark Knight

WREEEEEEOOOOWWW CLICK THUMP THUMP

RAT-TAT-TAT

BOOOOOOM

HEE-HEE AHA HAHA AWW
Just close your eyes and keep your mind wide open.

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2009, 06:13:05 pm »
Now I'm gonna have to ask you to rephrase that.

Offline evilcandybag

• of Fire
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Armoured Tanks of Mass Destruction
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2009, 06:24:55 pm »
Now I'm gonna have to ask you to rephrase that.

I think that's an excellent summary of that film.
"Actually, wooden stakes are for vampires. Wooden steaks are for vegetarians."

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2009, 09:54:06 pm »
Quite god for a remake
wrong
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Offline Sirix

• Self proclaimed forum Villain
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2009, 05:11:42 pm »
The Magdalene Sisters - 9/10

Fantastic movie showing what girls in England and Ireland went through in Magdalene Asylums.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magdalene_Asylum

pretty fucked up.

I recommend subtitles regardless of how well you speak english though.
they tend to talk low and with accents and it's quite difficult to hear them.

Offline Bates

• Forum Legend
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • Bateman 2.0
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2009, 10:59:50 pm »
Enough with your postmodern art films. Chick flick time.

P.S. I Love You - 2/10

Enduring this movie is proof enough that you're willing to go through hell for your girlfriend. Not only are the characters bland and unappealing, it is also clichéd as hell. The only person remotely likeable in this film is played by Kathy Bates. How ironic is that. I mean, the story had potential, but somehow they managed to throw it completely out of the window. Exceptions were the first letter from the deceased king Leonidas, where they build up a remotely sad atmosphere and Leonidas and Hilary Swanks first kiss. Which was kind of cute.  :P

Offline Sirix

• Self proclaimed forum Villain
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2009, 02:36:32 am »
Enough with your postmodern art films. Chick flick time.

P.S. I Love You - 2/10

Enduring this movie is proof enough that you're willing to go through hell for your girlfriend. Not only are the characters bland and unappealing, it is also clichéd as hell. The only person remotely likeable in this film is played by Kathy Bates. How ironic is that. I mean, the story had potential, but somehow they managed to throw it completely out of the window. Exceptions were the first letter from the deceased king Leonidas, where they build up a remotely sad atmosphere and Leonidas and Hilary Swanks first kiss. Which was kind of cute.  :P

haha, when I was working at Blockbuster I endured the shitty trailer to this shitty movie at a rate of once every 30 or so minutes.

on an 8 hour shift, this is edging on cruel.

Offline yas‮

• The laziest one.
  • I believe in respawn.
    • Me on SoundCloud
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2009, 12:34:56 am »
Pride and Glory (8/10) - YO YO YO DAWG IT'S DA NYPD. Nah, it's just a good action movie with a decent plot. Edward Norton has a great performance here. A bit too long, but overall it's definitely worth watching.