Author Topic: GuitarPort or Guitar Rig?  (Read 12471 times)

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
GuitarPort or Guitar Rig?
« on: December 03, 2008, 05:12:52 pm »
Purchasing decision time!

GuitarPort or Guitar Rig 3(Kontrol/Session)?

There's a pretty obvious price gap.

I'm pretty sure I remember reading that MaSu uses the GuitarPort. Can it be plugged into an amp? The description says you can only plug into your computer and then connect to speakers or headphones. Which isn't bad, but I'd like to be able to use those effects with my amp, since I don't have a PA. I remember reading good things about it from people on here.

If not, then, that's what makes Guitar Rig enticing - not only does it plug into the computer, but then you can run that through an amp or PA, as well. I have a special email deal that allows me to buy Guitar Rig Session and get the Software Edition free with it (so it's about $249 instead of twice that). However, then I don't get the foot control. I also haven't heard anything from people I know about this software, so I don't know how good it is. There's also the issue of whether or not my computer is fast enough to run it without too much latency.

There's also Amplitube, but I haven't heard much about that from... well, anyone, anywhere. :P

Any help is greatly appreciated!
That's the problem with heroes, really. Their only purpose in life is to thwart others. They make no plans, develop no strategies. They react instead of act. Without villains, heroes would stagnate. Without heroes, villains would be running the world. Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic.

Offline Niccho

• Trying is the first step towards failure
    • -Niccho-
Re: GuitarPort or Guitar Rig?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 05:23:24 pm »
Go for Guitar Port and get a separate effectboard for your amp. You can get Digitech GNX 3 (which is extremely awesome) for much less than $200 if you can still find one. That way you'd have an awesome recording stuffs and live stuffs :)

Somehow running guitar effects through a computer software doesnt seem like a good idea on a gig..

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 05:34:29 pm »
Go for Guitar Port and get a separate effectboard for your amp. You can get Digitech GNX 3 (which is extremely awesome) for much less than $200 if you can still find one. That way you'd have an awesome recording stuffs and live stuffs :)

Somehow running guitar effects through a computer software doesnt seem like a good idea on a gig..

I read that it works well if you've got a good laptop. Mine's somewhat dated, though, so you're right, it doesn't sound like such a good idea. Although! If I wind up buying new RAM for my computer it might help a bit. :)

I should note, recording is more important to me than playing live, so I'm leaning more towards GuitarPort. I'm just worried about then being disappointed about not having the same for live and jamming and stuff.

Niccho, do you have a link to a page for the GNX3? My usual site doesn't seem to sell them anymore (but still sells a power supply for the GNX2? :P ). I'm usually a little wary of multi-effects pedals.
That's the problem with heroes, really. Their only purpose in life is to thwart others. They make no plans, develop no strategies. They react instead of act. Without villains, heroes would stagnate. Without heroes, villains would be running the world. Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic.

Offline megashroom°

• Things!
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 08:22:33 pm »
For recording I suggest you go for a Line 6 POD Studio.

http://line6.com/podstudio/index.html?utm_source=Line6Index&utm_medium=Navigation&utm_campaign=podstudio+CenterFlash

You can use the headphones-plug to get the sound out of your amp.

And... *tadaa* You can use the POD studio through the Guitar Rig software.
At least you can with the older version called TonePort. I guess you can use the Guitar Rig through POD Farm and Gearbox too (the Line 6 software).

I think that both GuitarPort/TonePort/POD Studio and Guitar Rig sounds great. I have not really tried out Guitar Rig that much though.

Offline Niccho

• -Niccho-
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 09:36:58 pm »
Niccho, do you have a link to a page for the GNX3? My usual site doesn't seem to sell them anymore (but still sells a power supply for the GNX2? :P ). I'm usually a little wary of multi-effects pedals.

I actually bought mine from Thomann which is an european store and they dont seem to sell GNX3 anymore. Cheap multieffects pedals are usually total suxorz but the more expensive ones like the GNX series (GNX3 was originally like $350 or more but i got mine when they were selling the last ones out of stock) or Boss GT series are very much awesome and good. Just go for guitarport (or POD studio it looks awesome) and get separate effects for the amp. GuitarRig would anyways sound way different through an amp than through normal speakers or headphones.

Lysix

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 02:22:51 am »
I have the software of Guitar Rig (i..got it..from..a..website?) and i have to say it's great for me, mainly because i can't yet afford a bigass amp and guitar.
 Guitar rig lets me add any combination of amps, effects and the like to get a sound tailored exactly as i want it. It comes loaded with a tonne of presets to get your inspiration going and works as a standalone application or as a plugin for most popular DAWs. I plug my guitar into the laptop via line-in, hook the laptop up to the speakers and it's like one gigantic amp!
Only issue is the latency, but that occurs only when i pile a load of effects and delays on top.
No idea about the hardware, mind.
I would safely recommend it for sure. All my current band work is using guitar rig as the amp of choice and it's perfect for me.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 02:24:44 am by mems »

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008, 02:27:55 am »
Yeah, I'll worry about the amp and effects later, I think.

Likfisken, which POD Studio would you recommend? I'm gonna start reading reviews in a second.

I'm banking on being able to use other kinds of software no matter which one I get, so I guess now it's just down to the price and the pedals/hookups themselves. SO MANY CHOICES!

Edit: Glowing review from mems is making this harder!

Offline megashroom°

• Things!
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2008, 04:38:53 pm »
Likfisken, which POD Studio would you recommend? I'm gonna start reading reviews in a second.

I have the GX one (the smallest). That is all you need for recording guitar and bass. Buying one of the more expensive wont give you better sound quality (when recording guitar and bass that is).
The other ones have simply more line out/in stuffs and a phantom powered line in for microphone.

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2008, 09:48:19 pm »
I was talking with Lysix last night and I'm wondering now: is there a need for the hardware?

I've wanted to get something like these for a long time simply because I couldn't figure out how to connect my guitar to my computer. However, if I can just buy an adapter to stick on the end of my guitar cable and plug that into my computer, and then... "acquire" the software, shouldn't I save my money?

Are there any kind of benefits to having these specific devices, i.e. volume leveling, noise canceling, etc.?

I have the GX one (the smallest). That is all you need for recording guitar and bass. Buying one of the more expensive wont give you better sound quality (when recording guitar and bass that is).
The other ones have simply more line out/in stuffs and a phantom powered line in for microphone.

All right. I think I'd trust that more than the GuitarPort, since it seems to be newer (and it runs for the same price).

Offline Niccho

• -Niccho-
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2008, 06:20:31 am »
i think i'll get POD Studio (the most expensive one) after christmas. It sounds quite awesome :>

EDIT: Blargh i only have enough money for the GX. Well.. i dont really need xlr input anyways :>
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 03:38:39 pm by Niccho »

Offline Niccho

• -Niccho-
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2009, 06:56:50 pm »
I got my POD Studio today and man is it awesome.
The models in POD Farm are way more realistic than the ones in guitar rig or amplitube in my opinion..

Offline megashroom°

• Things!
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2009, 02:50:57 pm »
I got my POD Studio today and man is it awesome.
The models in POD Farm are way more realistic than the ones in guitar rig or amplitube in my opinion..

Ya, I think so too.

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2009, 02:09:35 am »
i think i'll get POD Studio (the most expensive one) after christmas. It sounds quite awesome :>

EDIT: Blargh i only have enough money for the GX. Well.. i dont really need xlr input anyways :>
guyz i got the POD Studio UX 2 as of today

only in black cos red is for pussies

Offline Niccho

• -Niccho-
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2009, 01:39:35 pm »

guyz i got the POD Studio UX 2 as of today

only in black cos red is for pussies

now you just have to buy metal shop addon and fx junkie addon :)

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2009, 05:01:58 pm »
cant i just download it somewhere =(
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 05:07:29 pm by Jack Lupino »