Author Topic: The FPS - The MMO - Sports  (Read 7412 times)

Offline Sirix

• Self proclaimed forum Villain
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
The FPS - The MMO - Sports
« on: November 23, 2008, 06:48:26 pm »
This is what video games have come to.

Rare are the breed of gamer who thrive on platformers, metroidvanias and RPGs.

The amount of popularity a thread about an FPS or MMO gets on this forum makes that much clear.  Whereas other genres get 1-2 pages max and then die out.

comments?

Do you think gaming is going in the right direction, or does there need to be change?

Will we be drowned in FPS and the newest 07-08-09 Sports games?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 06:52:54 pm by Sirix »

Lysix

Re: The FPS - The MMO - Sports
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 10:15:27 pm »
Absolutely agreed. It's the surge of casual gamers that caused short, pointless games that earn a quick buck.
I miss epics like final fantasy or crash bandicoot, but things have just become alot more mainstream.

Offline gaijin

• Hiding behind the couch
  • Community Supporter
  • "You sound like the Morning Star"
    • Motljus
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 10:46:53 pm »
Keep up the games for casual gamers, that's fine. But for cryin' out loud bring back the epics as mems said, and the point-and-click adventures! AND NO, NOT IN 3D YE ARSEWIPES!

DOTT! COMI! Sam 'n Max! The Dig! BRING IT BACK!
Oi, is this when I get a huge sig-image, start whining about "moar sid" and make nonsensical arguments to no good?

Offline Gravehill

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Dignity! Strength! Love!
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 11:15:12 pm »
I've been playing Rayman games with kid lately. Lots. Jumping around, collecting stuff, marvelling the characters, following the storyline, enjoying the graphics and great background music. It's so much fun to do together... Playing it together, laughing for the funny parts and being excited whether that next leap is going to land where it ought to land. Perfect stuff to do with kid. But on the other hand, I love to play games like that alone as well.

I think too that there's too much FPS, MMO and sports games done with low creativity and ambition. Reason for this? Reason for this is not casual gamers but because games are done with graphics end first. And this is not done to lure in casual gamers but to keep on the cycle of updating hardware and game sequels.

You can "justify" new release just because it has better graphics. And because you must have always better and better graphics you must get more calculating power so it means that one must update gaming system as well in regular basis, just because "THERE MUST BE MORE POWER". This leads to increase in sales of new machines and new sequels with updated graphics and one or two extra tricks per game. It suits the big companies as they can sell both machines and "new" games with few to nill creativity. The large majority of games with good graphics justify the armanent race of gaming systems and then the few more creative games "must" be published to that new system level "just because it's cool now". Many better games would work with worse graphics as well and people would gladly play them in their lowend machines but that does not fit big companies.

I've been demanding less graphics and more content and creativity in games for years.
Random ramblings and furious feminine novels per versatility.

Offline Sirix

• Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 11:53:14 pm »
Sense making

Exactly.

And one problem with driving graphics so hard is that it's VERY expensive.  A lot of gaming companies have been laying off employees because their games take WAY too much money to make and not enough revenue.  A new study showed that only 4% of games make a profit.  The rest fall short.

This is a recent development.

One great example of a game done right without "uncanny valley" graphics is Megaman 9.  Production value? Almost none.   Someone with any half-decent PC from the past 5 years could have made a game like that (see Cave Story).  The game cost very little to make and so profit happened very shortly after release.

The Wii might be drowning in shovel-ware games right now, but every now and then absolute GEMS surface amongst the rubble.  Lost Winds, Megaman 9, Strongbad games (woo point and clicks!), Toki Tori and etc.

Offline Chronologix

• SiteDeveloper
  • I am Canadian!
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 02:42:48 am »
I agree, the new games are fun though, you have to admit, but carry no depth and just try and wow you for the little amount of time they last before the same company releases another to keep you going.

But I always look back at the more in-depth and large-scale games and remember how much fun I had playing them...my friend owned a playstation and I had an N64 and even though I was already engulfed in Mario 64 and Perfect Dark, we would always swap and I would have a blast playing Crash Bandicoot and even Spyro the muthafawkin Dragon, collecting everything, completing all the side story pieces.

Bring them back pl0x!

Offline Einkoro

• Machinae Prime
  • ~tima
    • http://www.janpingel.com/
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 03:06:33 am »
Needs moar adventure and space sims.

Only two more days until A Vampyre Story ships and I can enjoy happy fun adventure aka FUCKING PUZZLES I HATE YOU time.
"Don't believe anyone when they tell you irony is just a literary convention. It's a universal constant, like the coefficient of gravity." - Alfred Bester

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 04:36:20 am »
Well. Currently i'm waiting for the next blizzard releases, Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2. Wich both are oldies so hopefully it will give us all a nostalgic feeling. Or a bloody frenzy.

Offline PrescriptiveBarony

• Machinae Prime
  • Let there be blacklight.
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 05:05:28 am »
with any luck, the power of procedural generation will grow in the next few years, and high-quality graphics and atmosphere can be achieved without the blockbuster-level budgets that are constricting so many smaller developers.

At the same time, the growth of arcade-style games is comforting, with wiiware/xbox live arcade/whatever the playstation stuff is called allowing more niche games to have a shot at success.

as for the original question, do i think games are going in the right direction? well, they're going in the direction dictated by the market. if enough people think it's wrong, it'll change. but for now, EA is doing just fine. i usually have the problem of too many good games to play as opposed to too few, so i guess that's the best i could hope for? i also think we need space sims to come back though, and another proper simcity (or simtower) would be quite welcome. another dungeon keeper/evil genius, too.... but i'm enjoying europa universalis and fallout 3 just fine. i am a little bit anxious for the next generation to commence, though. consoles have the unpleasant side effect of constraining most games in 2006-era technology even while PCs get two and three times better.

Quote from: Drakonis
Everybody should just <3.

Lysix

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2008, 03:01:51 pm »
i am a little bit anxious for the next generation to commence, though. consoles have the unpleasant side effect of constraining most games in 2006-era technology even while PCs get two and three times better.

PCs only take current gen hardware and improve it midly, they dont completely redefine the graphics.
As for the next generation, you're in for a wait as it's not till around 2011 that the first console is released. I'm in no rush for it to start as i just blew £300 on an xbox 360 :P

Offline Sirix

• Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2008, 03:34:15 pm »
i am a little bit anxious for the next generation to commence, though. consoles have the unpleasant side effect of constraining most games in 2006-era technology even while PCs get two and three times better.

PCs only take current gen hardware and improve it midly, they dont completely redefine the graphics.
As for the next generation, you're in for a wait as it's not till around 2011 that the first console is released. I'm in no rush for it to start as i just blew £300 on an xbox 360 :P

Really, if they announce a next gen anytime soon there is going to be blood.

It's bad enough that Nintendo and Sony won't stop releasing new versions of their handhelds every year.

Console gaming is by no mean behind PC gaming.
PCs can upgrade on the fly and so it's not necessary for next gen shit, but the controls are limited to working great in FPS, MMOs and RTS.  Consoles are where original game play is going to happen.

If they haul their heads out of consumers asses for a few seconds and see the shining start of ingenuity, at least.

Offline Spunky

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2008, 04:58:11 pm »
Not really got an opinion to add ontop of whats alreayd been said. I have the arguement with my friends as it is. Games seems to be churned out by date rather than by "finished", if you knwo what i mean. instead of making it a great game, they make it a good game, and sell it faster.
Current Games: Gears of War 2, Left 4 Dead, Rockband 2, Red Alert 3 (PC)[/center]

Offline Sirix

• Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2008, 06:28:34 pm »
Not really got an opinion to add ontop of whats alreayd been said. I have the arguement with my friends as it is. Games seems to be churned out by date rather than by "finished", if you knwo what i mean. instead of making it a great game, they make it a good game, and sell it faster.

I know!

So many times I've played a game and thought "If they just play-tested this game ONCE they would have caught so much and been able to improve it substantially."

You can really tell when a game is play-tested a lot.

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2008, 08:25:53 pm »

I know!

So many times I've played a game and thought "If they just play-tested this game ONCE they would have caught so much and been able to improve it substantially."

You can really tell when a game is play-tested a lot.

i.e. not Fable 2.

I love the game IMMENSELY. But one look at the forums and you'll see that the consumers have basically been transformed into the QA team for the game.

If they had only spent more time, instead of rushing it to release so they wouldn't have to share the market with Fallout 3, the game would have been godly.As it is, it's fun but infuriating. Game-breaking bugs have ruined it a bit for me. I can't even continue the main storyline, atm.

That's the problem with heroes, really. Their only purpose in life is to thwart others. They make no plans, develop no strategies. They react instead of act. Without villains, heroes would stagnate. Without heroes, villains would be running the world. Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic.

Lysix

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2008, 08:35:06 pm »
BUT HARVEY, IT HAS TO BE OUT BEFORE CHRISTMAS WHETHER IT IS READY OR NOT