Author Topic: Mirror's Edge  (Read 7860 times)

Offline SweZor

• Keeper of the SweZword
    • A blog devoid of activity.
Mirror's Edge
« on: October 31, 2008, 12:44:08 am »
Havent seen a topic about this game yet on here, so I though I might as well start one myself. (I lurk way too much)

So, anyone excited about this? Looks like DICE/EA have some really interesting concepts for this game, it looks absolutely amazing in the trailers and screenshots, even though it's based upon the old U3 engine (GoW, Unreal3, etc..). I've never seen a U3 based game with so crisp and sparkling colours before, I really love the art direction.

For those unfamiliar with this game, I'll post a short list of old trailers below all this text stuff.

The gameplay seems a bit like it could swing any way, depending on the controls and the interface, if they're intuitive and easy to handle, this game might very well be a contender for Game of the Year -08. But if it's shit, the game will very quickly proove to challenging and impossible for normal people. The game looks like it could be very immersive, due to the fact that you're always in a first person perspective, even when you do rolls and climbs, stuff that other games usually pull the camera back to third-person for. It could also cause quite a bit of nausea, I'm pretty lucky in the sense that I rarely get motion sickness while playing video games or watching movies. (I really enjoyed Cloverfields shaky-cam perspective...).

The story seems interesting although anything is possible with EA, and Dice arent really famous for doing amazing stories. (Battlefield series, anyone?).

Demo is out tommorow Friday the 31st, and game is due out the eleventh of November for the 360 and PS3 (I already pre-ordered it from Webhallen and got the redeem code for the time trial mode for the Demo) I think the PC version is delayed or something, very likely due to DRM stuff-shit, and I don't care as long as I get my 360 version in full.

Links to various old trailers and stuff: (The latest came out at E3, but it's the most updated list I have atm, search youtube for more if you're interested.)
Trailer 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2N1TJP1cxmo
Trailer 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLwKMjUxvQQ
Walkthrough: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4WgH5qF6bU
Animated Story Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNIXac-TgYE

I think this post migh very well be the longest wall-of-text I've ever posted on here, so hopefully it won't all erase and crash and stuff when I click that Post button....

//SZ

Offline Gravehill

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Dignity! Strength! Love!
Re: Mirror's Edge
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 05:30:43 am »
Seems interesting. I hope that environment is done in sandbox-style and you don't bounce off from invicible walls to the certain death while trying to jump from place A to place B. In game like that it's really important that there are multiple routes to choose so I hope they don't ruin it.
Random ramblings and furious feminine novels per versatility.

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 06:57:39 am »
I've really been looking forward to this. Nice catch with the topic, Swezor.
That's the problem with heroes, really. Their only purpose in life is to thwart others. They make no plans, develop no strategies. They react instead of act. Without villains, heroes would stagnate. Without heroes, villains would be running the world. Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic.

Offline Caranfin

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 08:44:12 am »
I've been following this game with interest since I saw the first trailer. I like a lot of their ideas, like that there is no HUD or anything like that at all, just what the character sees. As the player takes damage, the world's colour saturation goes down. I think that's a pretty cool and simplistic way to inform the player of damage taken. I also like how there are weapons available, but they slow you down and make it impossible to move properly, and you can get through the game without using them at all.

Seems interesting. I hope that environment is done in sandbox-style and you don't bounce off from invicible walls to the certain death while trying to jump from place A to place B. In game like that it's really important that there are multiple routes to choose so I hope they don't ruin it.
It's supposed to be pretty free, in that you can find your own route to the objectives. The game has a sort of a hint system called "Runner Vision" or something, that suggests a route by making important things red. The route it suggests is usually not the fastest one, though. And I think runner vision can be turned off.

The thing I'm worried about is the controls. They have to make them versatile enough for the player to be able to do all sorts of different movements, but keep them simple enough to be accessible, while still keeping the moving hard enough to not be completely boring.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 12:17:44 pm by Caranfin »

Lysix

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 01:24:59 pm »
I remember seeing this ages ago, definitely looks awesome.

Offline Mithrandil

• Poetica
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 01:33:57 pm »
Downloading the PS3 demo as we speak, really looking forward to the full release though ;)

Offline SweZor

• Keeper of the SweZword
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 01:38:25 pm »
My download is at 50% atm, really looking forward to trying it out.

Also as far as I've hear there's supposed to be multiple routes you can take throughout the levels, even though they all lead to the same door in the end (unless they're dead ends I suppose..)

Offline Mithrandil

• Poetica
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 02:13:55 pm »
Just finished playing the demo. It contains two maps - one is the tutorial, and then a thrilling singleplayer map. The map was kind of linear in direction, but you have a few choices on how to get past some of the obstacles. But the demo really made my thirst for this game bigger - it was awesome :D

Offline SweZor

• Keeper of the SweZword
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 02:21:58 pm »
Pretty much all my expectations came though, the art direction is amazing, the physics are really good (if a little bit Matrix-y, but I think that's fine.). The controlls are amazingly solid and easy to handle, with a little training I think it'll be fine for most players even vaguely familiar with how to control a characters movement in an fps environment.

Runner vision (the red springboards and stuff like that, kinda lika a hint system) can easily be turned off in the options menu, which I'm sure was a worry for some.

I need more time with the demo to really get a hang of the game, but I think I'm gonna like this alot :D

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Happiness is Mandatory!
    • My homepage
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2008, 02:16:16 am »
THis looks awesome, and I expect my brother to buy it for his 360.

I also expect myself to play it during the holidays.

That said, I'm a bit worried about its long-time funness, simply due to a awesome-looking game by the name of Assassin's Creed. While really cool, that game quickly became boring because it focused too much on fancy moves and stuff, and too little on the actual gameplay being fun.

I hope this game has fun gameplay as well.

As for the background, and the idea that information must be moved by runners: Have they an explanation for why encryption won't do it?
...why Torp was picked over you... HE'S JUST BETTER THAN YOU IN EVERY RESPECT. -SomethingGood
<Radicz0r> Torp is well prepared for universal destruction

[03:18:49] <WereVolvo> ARCTIC
[03:18:51] <WereVolvo> not arctic

Offline Caranfin

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2008, 12:33:33 pm »
That said, I'm a bit worried about its long-time funness, simply due to a awesome-looking game by the name of Assassin's Creed. While really cool, that game quickly became boring because it focused too much on fancy moves and stuff, and too little on the actual gameplay being fun.
The thing is that the freerunning in Assassin's Creed was really, really bland. Just hold two buttons down and steer, mr. Altair does the rest. I haven't got to actually play the demo yet myself due to my 360 going kaboom, but as I hear it you actually have to do stuff and time your movements properly to get forward in this game. I believe that the ability to switch runner vision off, as well as the possibility of more effective routes through the levels, serve to increase replayability.

There's also a time attack mode in the game. The gist of it is that they have taken a couple of their favourite stretches of the campaign levels, and got rid of the enemies. Then we, the players, get to compete on who gets the best time on each particular time attack course. The scores are uploaded to an online leaderboard and you can download your friends' times, for example, and see how they chose to go about the course. The time attack mode is something I can see myself playing over and over again.

EDIT: How the hell did I forget this? It's what I came to post here. It's a 20-minute-long feature about Mirror's Edge. More about the game, the moving, the plot, and things. Might be some spoilers there, but it mostly seemed like some very early game stuff. Definitely worth a look. If you don't care about the possible minor spoilers, that is.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 12:36:53 pm by Caranfin »

Lysix

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2008, 06:12:22 pm »
Ooh, it's coming on the PC too.

Offline Caranfin

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2008, 10:56:11 pm »
I've played the demo through quite a few times now, and I'm feeling very good about it. The controls feel natural, the movement is very well done, and the gameplay is really fun. If the different levels are varied enough so as to avoid being repetitive and the plot halfway decent, this could definitely be one of my favourite games this year.

As for the background, and the idea that information must be moved by runners: Have they an explanation for why encryption won't do it?
I haven't seen any explanation to the runners other than "information channels are heavily monitored".

Offline Mithrandil

• Poetica
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2008, 04:00:00 pm »
Got my copy today =D It's an intense thrillride already, and I've just startet chapter 1 ;) (Just beyond the demo)

Offline SweZor

• Keeper of the SweZword
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2008, 09:49:45 pm »
:o

I'll get it tommorow probably, gonna check the mailbox three times an hour, minimum!

And I don't care about the "reviews".