Author Topic: Mirror's Edge  (Read 8193 times)

Offline yas‮

• The laziest one.
  • I believe in respawn.
    • Me on SoundCloud
Re: Mirror's Edge
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2008, 12:21:04 am »
Finished it yesterday. Short, but action packed. Though the ending is a bit disappointing. But I just love the music. Anyone know is there any OST, beside the crapy "Still Alive" remixes thing?

Offline SweZor

• Keeper of the SweZword
    • A blog devoid of activity.
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2008, 01:29:24 am »
So I just completed it. And the verdict?

It's not exactly a contender for GotY, but it was fun while it lasted. Story was a bit meh (as is expected from DICE...). Combat was annoying, and actually detracted from the overall experiance, especially when you try doing it without shooting everyone. I gave up that halfway through, picked up a G36C and let 'er rip, and it was much, much more fun.

The jumps and stuff do get a bit 'hard' at the later stages of the game, not just to the point where it's very challenging, but all the way over to stupidifyingly annoying, and very, very hard to do in one run without dying.

It's always fun with some fresh new stuff, and I still really, really like the art direction and first person perspective. It's very immersive. It was also good enough to make me want to actually finish the game in one sitting, which many other games failed to do for me.

Al in all, a solid, fun timewaster, The definition for a 'good game' in my opinion. The shortfalls makes it fall short on being as amazing or awesome as it -could- have been, but it was still very enjoyable, and well worth the 624 SEK I spent on the game and the postage. This might even be a game where I go for the 1000 points. (940 on Halo 3 is my highest, damn you boring matchmaking, I still need that level 10!)

Now for those runner bags, the speedruns, the hard runthrough, the no-gun runthrough, the achievements and the time trials! phew!

Offline Caranfin

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2008, 02:37:32 pm »
Combat was annoying, and actually detracted from the overall experiance, especially when you try doing it without shooting everyone. I gave up that halfway through, picked up a G36C and let 'er rip, and it was much, much more fun.
I have to disagree. Doing it without shooting anyone forces you to think and plan out what you're doing, and is in my opinion a lot more rewarding. Some of the fights they force you into are a bit annoying, though.

The jumps and stuff do get a bit 'hard' at the later stages of the game, not just to the point where it's very challenging, but all the way over to stupidifyingly annoying, and very, very hard to do in one run without dying.
The game does suffer from trial-and-error syndrome in quite a few places. Personally, I liked the second playthrough a lot more, since I had some idea of where I needed to go and was able to mostly just go with the flow and enjoy the feeling.

As you said, it could've been a lot better with some improvements. Still, it is fun enough that I think I'm going to end up playing it through a lot of times, just to have fun and run.

EDIT: Also, I think the pacing, apart from some of the annoying forced fights, was very well done with the alternation between high-speed chases and the slower, relaxed, "puzzle"-parts, where you need to look at the environment and find a way forwards. Anyway, third playthrough now. I need to find the rest of those bags.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 02:50:07 pm by Caranfin »

Lysix

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2008, 02:41:39 pm »
Sequel.

Offline SweZor

• Keeper of the SweZword
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2008, 09:52:33 pm »

Lysix

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2008, 05:05:16 pm »
Two is enough, but three?
This may well overstay its welcome similar to the shrek films.

Offline megadokyo

• Everybody gets one.
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • Ima ween!
    • HyperDuck SoundWorks
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2008, 03:21:33 pm »

(SHREK)

Aw Shrek, aweomse dude, nice!

(SHREK II)
Ahaha.. ok, That'll do Shrek, that'll do..

(SHREK III)
Get the fuck out Shrek. I was nice about it before but you don't even pay for the food you eat in my fucking house so get the hell out. The donkey can stay though.

THIS RANDOM CRAP BROUGHT TO YOU BY LACK OF SLEEP AND AHAHAHA'S!

Offline Caranfin

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2008, 08:34:21 pm »
Well, they might pull off a trilogy if they keep improving the concept and don't take the current game and slap a few graphics updates and a new story on it. Having played the game quite a bit now, I would prefer less context-sensitive controls. There are a few places in the game where Faith just stubbornly vaults over a vertical object even though I'd just like to get standing on it. Also, I don't like her automatically grabbing everything. There's hardly anything more annoying than trying to just drop down from somewhere and ending up hanging from a piece of wall that happened to be within reach. Particularly in time trial.

Also, I just beat the all time speedrun world record for chapter 8. At least on the PS3, I don't think the leaderboards are the same for both consoles. (Time is 05:29:85 if anyone on the 360 is interested).

Offline SomethingApt

• Machinae Prime
  • [this space for rent]
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2008, 09:47:13 pm »
WHY IS THERE NO MULTIPLAYER?!

Lysix

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2008, 10:04:07 pm »
WHY IS THERE NO MULTIPLAYER?!

BECAUSE IT'LL BE IN THE SEQUEL TO MAKE IT LOOK SUPERIOR TO THE ORIGINAL

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2009, 10:50:55 pm »
This game on the PC is BUGGED UP THE ASS.

Seriously, its full of glitches and crashes, and now im even having problems re installing it!?

Offline megadokyo

• Everybody gets one.
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • Ima ween!
    • HyperDuck SoundWorks
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2009, 12:59:01 am »
the reviews warned alot about this dude :()

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2009, 04:09:48 am »
Because its a lot of fun to play i already reinstalled and repatched the whole thing 2 times already.

However, the freerunning system is great!

Offline Caranfin

« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2009, 04:34:17 pm »
This game is still amazingly fun even after playing it through a gazillion times. The feeling when you're just dashing forward at an inhuman pace with a helicopter coming after you with guns blazing and glass windows shattering everywhere is absolutely fantastic.

However, I have accumulated a few gripes about the control system during this time. First off, while the incredibly large and downright impossible in real life stuff like tic-tac to wallrun to cat leap to vault combos work like a charm, it seems to be incredibly hard for Faith to do smaller stuff like just making a small hop over a gap onto a platform and continuing along it instead of leaping something like three meters forward, completely missing the platform, and falling to her death. It's mind-bogglingly frustrating to first do a fantastic run of leaping from building to building perfectly and then die because the super-runner character can't modify the length of her jump at all.

And context sensitivity at the level it is in this game can just straight up go to hell. I don't want the character to automatically grab onto whatever she feels like when her feet aren't touching the ground. Trying to drop down from somewhere and having Faith for some reason grab onto something poking from a wall just feels silly when you just want to go down and not bother with any of that hanging-from-stuff nonsense. Especially when she goes into the "oh no my left hand seems to have slipped woah there's the floor look at that maybe I should grab this thing with both hands now" animation. Yes, I know the ground is down there. The thing is that I want to be there and not hanging onto that ledge, but it's for some reason impossible to let go and just fall down during the animation. On the other hand, Faith usually manages to grab onto stuff when you want her to and it's rare to have her just falling to her death, looking helplessly at that pipe 5cm from your face you'd like to grab to. It does happen at times, though.

I'd also like to be able to differentiate between wanting to vault over something and climbing on top of it and staying there. It's not nice when you want to climb on a concrete block and jump forwards from on top of it and Faith just decides to vault over the block without any regard to the lethal drop behind it.

TL;DR: Game still awesome, controls at times frustrating. Caranfin gets carried away and rants about minor stuff every once in a while.

Offline SweZor

• Keeper of the SweZword
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2009, 12:37:34 am »
Hold LT (crouch/let-go button) to stop her from grabbing onto stuff while falling? works for me at least...