Author Topic: headphones/earphones/whateverphones!  (Read 10243 times)

Lysix

headphones/earphones/whateverphones!
« on: July 31, 2008, 01:52:57 am »
hai!
my cheapo sony earbuds are slowly on their way out (for only £5, its not surprise).
i has money and, because of this, i want to buy a decent set of 'phones thatll give me kickass sound as well as look decent.
now, my budget isn't insane. i dont want £1000 headphones that play music louder than gigantic amps or shit like that.
anything within £10-60 is perfectly reasonable. i know thats culling the possibilities, but eh.
im not really sure how to go about looking for something! i dont really want to use in-ear ones, either. nothing too large around the ol' noggin' either please [:

any links to sites or companies that produce decent sets would be nice!

thanks!

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
Re: headphones/earphones/whateverphones!
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 04:10:00 am »
I know you said you don't really want to use in-ear headphones, but I have to say that Bose In-Ear Headphones have become my new love.

Unfortunately, they're a tad more expensive over there than they were here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/042365-BOSE-In-ear-headphones/dp/B000O5MP4U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1217466353&sr=8-1

Only $99, for me. :-\

The sound is fantastic, though. They're quite comfortable, and they even have a lanyard so that if you take them out they can hang around your neck. I won't go into how nice the customer support people are. ;D

Just to give you a possibility, anyways. :)
That's the problem with heroes, really. Their only purpose in life is to thwart others. They make no plans, develop no strategies. They react instead of act. Without villains, heroes would stagnate. Without heroes, villains would be running the world. Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic.

Offline Chronologix

• SiteDeveloper
  • I am Canadian!
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 04:24:23 am »
These are what I use, and I likes them lots :)

Lysix

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 07:36:38 pm »
These are what I use, and I likes them lots :)

funnily enough, i had some skullcandy dj headphones in my sights and i think i'll go for them. not sure what "dj headphones" are, though. are they too bassy?

EDIT OMG 4000

Offline yas‮

• The laziest one.
  • I believe in respawn.
    • Me on SoundCloud
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 08:11:19 pm »
I bought Creative Arvana Live! headphones, I'll tell you if they are as good as I heard when they arrive.

Offline yas‮

• The laziest one.
  • I believe in respawn.
    • Me on SoundCloud
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 11:45:05 am »
They are, definitely.

Offline WereVolvo

• IRC Love Butter supplier
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Volvot ulvoo kuun savuun!
    • My personal site
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 12:44:18 pm »
www.koss.com

Their Porta Pro headset has excellent sound for a quite affordable price (around £25, I think)
<@Torp> I have seen your melted pussy!

Real Dwarfs wall themselves in once they are underground, and survive through incest and cat farming.

Offline Drakonis

• Fighter from Ninne
  • Community Supporter
  • "I am mine own Redeemer."
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2008, 06:12:47 pm »
Edit: When I wrote this, I swear I thought you said "I want to use in-ear ones". With that being said, I'm leaving this post, but if you don't like in-ear... you won't like these. And while I love all my Razer products (the m100's and my razer barracuda sound card), I can't really recommend the M250's since I've never used them. If they're even a fraction of what my other razer products are, they probably kick ass. But since I've never heard em', I'd be a tool to recommend them. :P I'll include a link to the 250's in case you wanna check them out. I'm just an in-ear fanboy, so what can I say? :P

http://www.razerzone.com/p-105-protone-m250.aspx

Razer Pro Tone headphones are by far the best portable headphones I've ever used. For music, they sound better than my 100 dollar monitors at home (imagine my shock). They can play very loud and handle bass and remain crisp and clear. You must be okay with in-ear headphones though (which for music has become my personal preference).

http://www.razerzone.com/p-102-protone-m100-in-ear-earphones.aspx
(Don't buy from this link, this is an information link. Amazon has them cheaper, as does other places).

http://www.amazon.com/Razer-Pro-Tone-M100-Solutions/dp/B000LJRJWC/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1218208084&sr=8-1

You can get them in black too. They come with slick case, airplane adapter, and three ear pieces of various sizes. Amazon sells them for $30.00 USD, I got mine a little cheaper from somewhere. Make sure you get the M100's if you try these, because theyre the in-ear ones I use. The M250's are clips and I hate that style of headphone, but to each their own I guess. I've never heard the m250's, but I doubt it can generate the umph in the sound the m100's do since they are not in-ear.

In any case, I preached these things to my room mate and he got them. Said the same thing, best portable headphones we've ever heard. And the price? I'd pay $100 bucks for these if they sold them for it. But fortunately, you can find them for $20-$30 no problem.

And maybe I'm completely wrong, this is just my opinion. I think it MIGHT have been Dezo that recommended these to me (I could be TOTALLY wrong, I know he recommended my SteelSeries 5H's for gaming which I absolutely positively love), but whomever did... Man, was I glad I got them. :)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 06:22:46 pm by Drakonis »

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2008, 06:01:24 pm »
Skullcandy is only for looks :]
They don't really sound awesome and break easily .. and $$

Lysix

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2008, 11:48:36 pm »
TOO LATE I BOUGHT SKULLCANDY ONES. they're better than what i had, and they're sexy as you said. very good quality i reckon [:
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 12:26:07 am by mems »

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2008, 05:28:17 pm »
TOO LATE I BOUGHT SKULLCANDY ONES. they're better than what i had, and they're sexy as you said. very good quality i reckon [:
aye i never said they were poor, but there are better :]
I've enjoyed them for a long time and they're cool to have ^^

Offline Chazed

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2008, 04:06:03 pm »
U should have some Grado phones. Easily the best ones for metal / rock music ;D. Only bad part is that the comfort is  .. well. There isn´t any comfort at all I guess.. But the sound is amazing =D Maybe next ones?;d

Offline Muckwuddly

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2008, 01:26:11 pm »

So like, the sound quality on those? Good, bad, awesome, sounds-like-someone-is-raping-your-ear?
I could use some new headphones too, and skullcandy seems nice.

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2008, 09:09:33 am »

So like, the sound quality on those? Good, bad, awesome, sounds-like-someone-is-raping-your-ear?
I could use some new headphones too, and skullcandy seems nice.
Not too much bass, crystal clear sound though!

Lysix

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2008, 10:45:49 am »
don't know what ones you have, but the bass on mine is incredible.