Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress  (Read 12614 times)

Offline Leissi

• wat
Re: Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2008, 09:06:02 pm »
Roight

I've been building my second fortress today with a lot of help from Werevolvo (thanks dear <3), but I can't help but having a gnawing feeling in the back of my head that I'm doing something horribly, terribly wrong.

It all looks good to me, but I, who managed to flood my first fortress completely (whoo), can't help but being frantic about stuff.

I'm not gonna turn this thread into a community game or anything but I'll link my save so you can tell me what I'm missing :P

http://leissi.net/save.rar
Person you = new Person();
if(you.AreHappy && you.KnowIt){
    you.ClapHands();
}

Offline Varys

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2008, 12:18:09 am »
Seems good enough for a start, I would recommend building a trade depot outdoors so you can trade with dwarven, elven and human caravans which arrive each year (human and elven ones arriving first at the second year). As it is autumn, you will already have missed the dwarves of year one - but the elves arrive in spring, so you should be able to get some trading there.

Also, when you are making farms in soil tiles (sand, clay and so on - those that do not leave any stones behind) you do not need to make the floor wet to build a farm; can just build straight onto the floor then.

Looking good for a second fort I must say.

Offline Leissi

• wat
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2008, 02:10:04 am »
Seems good enough for a start, I would recommend building a trade depot outdoors so you can trade with dwarven, elven and human caravans which arrive each year (human and elven ones arriving first at the second year). As it is autumn, you will already have missed the dwarves of year one - but the elves arrive in spring, so you should be able to get some trading there.

Also, when you are making farms in soil tiles (sand, clay and so on - those that do not leave any stones behind) you do not need to make the floor wet to build a farm; can just build straight onto the floor then.

Looking good for a second fort I must say.
well....

just in case?

yeah I built a trade depot and a road to be accessible to caravans whoo.

Decided to dig as deep as possible to see what I can find, nothing thus far, a couple uncommon stone types with no real value. oh well, at least I've hit the bottom.
    you.ClapHands();
}

Offline Leissi

• wat
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2008, 02:24:16 pm »
roight.

my legendary bone carver decided to find out what a piece of bone tastes like. Quite predictably, the bone didn't want to find out how his intestines tasted like, and alas, the carver suffocated.

I decided to start a new fort at this point, it was disorganised anyway with shitloads of DOLOMITE EVERYWHERE. I had to make a hueg designated pile for the boulders outside since they were clogging up my bedroom making. who knows what else it would have done.

anyhow, new fort coming up, Weakenedsword.
    you.ClapHands();
}

Offline cherko

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2008, 08:31:10 pm »
I tried this. Seems really, really damn cool. Kinda steep learning curve but I think I'm starting to get the hang of it. The tutorial on the wiki was helpful but I think I'll rather experiment freely from this point on, 'cause that's just more fun.

Offline Leissi

• wat
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2008, 09:20:48 pm »
I tried this. Seems really, really damn cool. Kinda steep learning curve but I think I'm starting to get the hang of it. The tutorial on the wiki was helpful but I think I'll rather experiment freely from this point on, 'cause that's just more fun.
indeed it is :P remember to flood your fortress from a running river!
    you.ClapHands();
}

Offline Leissi

• wat
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2008, 10:12:24 pm »
I'm totally speechless.

this is how I roll.
I had accidentally turned plump helmets into a non-brewing food. yay for lack of alcohol, and winter set in just before I finished my well outside so no water in stores either.

I'll just see if I can salvage this wreckage before everyone dies :P
    you.ClapHands();
}

Offline cherko

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2008, 10:15:35 pm »

Couldn't you have said that like, a little bit earlier? XD

I still don't quite understand all of this, but I am getting used to the graphics at least.

Also, I support WereVolvo's idea of a forum game. After a few months, when I'm better at this.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 10:20:35 pm by cherko »

Offline Leissi

• wat
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2008, 10:56:00 pm »

I still don't quite understand all of this, but I am getting used to the graphics at least.

Also, I support WereVolvo's idea of a forum game. After a few months, when I'm better at this.
nah doesn't take longer than a few days to get a grasp of the basics.

you need a bit of skill when you manage to kill a good three quarters of your dorfs into thirst like me. I got 12 dwarves left of over 50. Actually you just need a bit of head for organisation. Like cleaning everyone's job and thinking what the hell you're gonna do now :P
    you.ClapHands();
}

Offline PrescriptiveBarony

• Machinae Prime
  • Let there be blacklight.
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2008, 11:33:30 pm »
dang... this is like playing vi 2 - Text Harder.

it seems ridiculously deep and freedomful, but i don't know if i'll have the patience to learn it all... it just makes me want to make my own game, which i guess is a good thing.

Quote from: Drakonis
Everybody should just <3.

Offline cherko

« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2008, 11:49:13 pm »

you need a bit of skill when you manage to kill a good three quarters of your dorfs into thirst like me. I got 12 dwarves left of over 50. Actually you just need a bit of head for organisation. Like cleaning everyone's job and thinking what the hell you're gonna do now :P

Actually, I meant to type days, but my mind was astray.

OK, I managed to flood my fortress two more times. The first time, I didn't realize that water could move diagonally, or "sip through cracks" if you will. I drowned a puppy and a miner in this accident. I'm a monster.

The second time... I merely misunderstood the purpose of a channel. Argh.

@ PŕèşċrïpŧıvəBāřőnŷ, it makes me feel that way too.

Offline Leissi

• wat
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2008, 12:06:48 am »

Actually, I meant to type days, but my mind was astray.

OK, I managed to flood my fortress two more times. The first time, I didn't realize that water could move diagonally, or "sip through cracks" if you will. I drowned a puppy and a miner in this accident. I'm a monster.

The second time... I merely misunderstood the purpose of a channel. Argh.

@ PŕèşċrïpŧıvəBāřőnŷ, it makes me feel that way too.
I have no idea of how to use channels except exploiting a bug that allows me to grow outdoor stuff indoors :P
    you.ClapHands();
}

Offline Leissi

• wat
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2008, 12:26:52 am »
I decided to open a slot for this game on my webspace, feel free to check upon it from time to time.

I'll keep saves before and after huge mistakes, hopefully so you can point and laugh at me :P and of course, images of my fort builds, so you can point and laugh and tell me what I'm missing.

http://leissi.net/dorffort/index.php
    you.ClapHands();
}

Offline Gravehill

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Dignity! Strength! Love!
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2008, 03:18:31 pm »
Tried this for maybe an hour or two but didn't manage to do too well. Cut some corridors, made some workshops, trained few dogs and so on... Most dwarfes just idled around, those lazy bastards, and few busy-pants did everything. Some things take some time to do and some things I couldn't do no matter how hard I tried which annoyed me quite much. Putting a door to corridor was task that I failed each time I tried even thou door was manufactured. Also getting stone for building better stuff seemed like task that was always failing. In the end clock was so much and my poor brains couldn't figure out anything even with aid of FAQ's and tutorials so I gave up and went sleeping.

Game aroused my curiosity though and I must give it better try when I have enough time to give it a better run.
Random ramblings and furious feminine novels per versatility.

Offline Leissi

• wat
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2008, 01:48:54 am »
bwahah, check this out

a WH40k mod for dwarf fortress :D

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=281

yay for naze
    you.ClapHands();
}