Author Topic: IJI Progress Thread - Soundtrack Complete  (Read 24485 times)

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Happiness is Mandatory!
    • My homepage
Re: [Official] IJI - Game & Soundtrack Progress Thread
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2008, 07:54:57 pm »
Related, in the sense that I'm related to me.
...why Torp was picked over you... HE'S JUST BETTER THAN YOU IN EVERY RESPECT. -SomethingGood
<Radicz0r> Torp is well prepared for universal destruction

[03:18:49] <WereVolvo> ARCTIC
[03:18:51] <WereVolvo> not arctic

Offline Spiff

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2008, 11:29:38 pm »
Don't feel that you've wasted my time, MDX. It's true I've been waiting for a long time, and I too have revised the track list several times, but I still know the end result will blow me away, and that's worth the wait. I'm happy to hear your new deadline being so close, if only you can still manage it and keep the quality up at the same time you can't be human. :) 10 songs and some short pieces is still a lot. Remember to ask me about the "darkstroke" ones if I wasn't clear about it. And make sure they're encoded in constant bitrate!

As for the game, I've been working on and off on it since '04, sometimes taking several month long breaks, I'm careful not to hype it too much as  I've kept underestimating just how big the project is (when I decided to draw the last boss with polygons and write my own animation tool for him, it took me a month to painfully pull off in the end). It's pretty much done now though, finally. And when I say "pretty much" I mean the only thing left is finishing this last bout of beta testing and tweaking.

The game has (besides being feature complete) advanced a lot since the last demo I showed in what, 2005? After finishing the levels and bosses themselves, I drew and scripted all the cutscenes half a year back, recorded and processed the voices recently, and just fixed and added a lot of stuff, and optimized the game down to about 10MB zipped, excluding the music. Regular betatests take around 8 hours for the first run through the game on the easiest setting, and as someone here requested, the very highest difficulty level is murderous as it should be.

The last year I've focusing on my feedback more, and it's really helped. I'm trying to make the game more accessible, understandable and fair to the newcomer. If the game is challenging because it doesn't make sense, it's the wrong kind of challenge. I'm still worried about some parts that I can't outright remake at this point, though. We'll see. My deadline has been "before August" for about half a year, but being a perfectionist I may push it ahead one month just to playtest, stresstest, bugtest and just plain test the crap out of it to catch whatever little bugs there still are... and I already know one of the game's weakest points is its dialogue, I'm not a writer but I've been trying to improve since my webcomic (which in retrospect was awful). Since February the game has also had a teaser page related to its backstory that I've updated twice a month, if you're interested and like to read a lot. It's heavily linked to the game but not necessary to read.

I don't go much on forums anymore btw, that's why I've been away for long periods of time.

And this screenshot is a bit old, but I guess it'll do.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 12:03:08 am by Spiff »

Smeagol

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2008, 11:42:54 pm »
I'm assuming the answer is going to be a resounding 'no, and also fuck off', but I'm going to ask anyway. No chance of a Linux version of Iji, is there?

Offline Spiff

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2008, 12:02:33 am »
Unfortunately, it's technically impossible until someone ports the GM engine I'm using to Linux... I've been hearing rumors of Mac and Linux versions of GM, and my brother can actually emulate GM in Wine (but it's very slow), in the end the probability is very small. Maybe with a REALLY powerful computer running Wine, I don't know.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 12:04:21 am by Spiff »

Offline SpeedD

• Machinae Prime
  • Canada, BITCH!
    • Egg!
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2008, 12:50:50 am »
Ah Iji. So much fun.

...now if only I still had it.

Ooooh yeeeaaah... Garden Gnome Carnage! :D
"What I felt was turned, in the tempest forged to hate. My soul I disconnected, and called out the Lightbringer to the gate."

Smeagol

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2008, 01:51:41 am »
Unfortunately, it's technically impossible until someone ports the GM engine I'm using to Linux... I've been hearing rumors of Mac and Linux versions of GM, and my brother can actually emulate GM in Wine (but it's very slow), in the end the probability is very small. Maybe with a REALLY powerful computer running Wine, I don't know.

Ah well, I'm sure I can commandeer one of the PCs in the house running Windows at some point so I can play Iji away to my heart's content.

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
    • My homepage
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2008, 02:15:00 am »
[...]as someone here requested, the very highest difficulty level is murderous as it should be.[...]

That would be me ;D Doubtful that I'll ever manage to finish it at its hardest, but I'm gonna try!
...why Torp was picked over you... HE'S JUST BETTER THAN YOU IN EVERY RESPECT. -SomethingGood

Offline Spiff

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2008, 03:14:34 am »
Yes, I remember now Torp. :) Although the fourth (highest) difficulty is such a step up from the others, you need to beat the third to unlock it first. It's a different kind of gameplay from the others, with certain features changed or restricted, so I don't want to confuse a player if it's available from the start but plays nothing like she expects the game to be. If that makes sense.

Glad you liked GGC SpeedD. You've seen the winter version, right?

Offline SpeedD

• Machinae Prime
  • Canada, BITCH!
    • Egg!
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2008, 04:06:25 am »
I had to re-download GCC (different computer from when you first posted it), more fun than the original.
"What I felt was turned, in the tempest forged to hate. My soul I disconnected, and called out the Lightbringer to the gate."

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
    • My homepage
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2008, 09:44:22 am »
Oh, GGC is awesome, one of the sweetest 5-minute-stealers I know.

MDX

« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2008, 02:37:28 am »
Thought i would chuck up two tracks onto my myspace for y'all to gander your audio eyes at.

"3 Cans Later" re-done properly, and another track i wrote named "For Stronger Bones" I have the yogurt cart in front of me to thank for that name.

There is another two tracks i was going to upload but i think this is more than enough exposure, i'll keep them up a short while and then they will be taken down again, just to let you guys hear whats happening, you can enjoy the entire soundtrack when it's handed over to Spiff, and he can decide when he wants to release the whole thing.

Anyway, the songs are just there for enjoyment, i'm not really looking any crit evaluation at this stage as i have enough people helping me with that side, but i thank you for the thoughts :)

http://www.myspace.com/chrisinhisbox
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 02:41:03 am by megadökyo »

Smeagol

« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2008, 02:42:15 am »
'For Stronger Bones' is a boss track, isn't it?  :P

MDX

« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2008, 03:56:28 am »
I don't think it will be, no, they are going to be getting my attention in the next week coming though. It would probably be sector 6 as far as Spiff told me, but this could change.

EDIT: The compression on myspace of the tracks is quite horrible :(
EDIT2: These are not the final versions, as i listen to them i see alot of errors that i have yet to correct, in terms of punch, and some guitars probably will need re-recording in 3 cans later, least before the first synth section. In fact only before the first synth section.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 04:02:20 am by megadökyo »

Offline Spiff

« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2008, 11:41:40 pm »
I don't see why I wouldn't allow you to release the songs however you want after they're done. If they're all placed together somewhere, I'll probably even link to them from the game's page, for those who just want to listen to or download the music. In the game, all sound effects and music can also be played in the Sound test.

And I didn't know the name of the song came from a yoghurt carton. :)

Lysix

« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2008, 11:50:25 pm »
"for stronger bones" is awesome. [: