Author Topic: Ronin poster  (Read 12016 times)

Offline Rox

Ronin poster
« on: May 22, 2008, 06:04:47 pm »
Hey guys. Here's a thingy I did for my finals at a small 3D education I'm just about to graduate from. My original idea was to begin producing a music video based on Ronin, but I wouldn't have nearly enough time, so I figured I'd just finish as many assets and such as I could. To show off how far I'd gotten by the deadline, I decided to make something similar to a movie poster. Everything in it has some significance in the video I already have planned out in my head, but I won't take the time to explain it. Maybe you'll get to figure it out yourselves sometime later...

I hate having to post links, but these guys are a little big:
Large version
Larger version

Now, this is actually the result of just two weeks of work as my schedules were ruined twice due to an illness I call "exploding computer". There's a hundred things I wish I could go back in and fix, but this is done now, I have to move on. And considering the time spent, I'm quite happy with it.

The environment, characters and instruments were modeled in Maya 8.5 and XSI 5.11, all the textures and everything else were Photoshopped in afterward. What do y'all think? Would you want to see a fanmade music video in this style?

Offline Blackiris

• Class Alpha Mnemonicide
    • My Blog
Re: Ronin poster
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 07:37:38 pm »
Wow, looks like a lot of work to me, but impressive nonetheless. =D

And about a fanmade music video, we already have the Conveyer fan vid that doesn't seem to be getting anywhere, but if you have the time and really are willing to try making one, I don't see why not. ^^

/offtopic Your sig's awesome. XD
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 07:39:23 pm by XX256 »

Offline Kernel

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 09:02:42 pm »
Definitely looks cool. Took me a while to figure out it's actually made up of two contrasting parts, because the top half is a bit dark. I'd love to see a video of this, I wanna find out what the silhouette in the top part is actually up to ;)

PS: I hope it's okay with you that I made this my wallpaper...

Offline Blackiris

• My Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 09:19:32 pm »
PS: I hope it's okay with you that I made this my wallpaper...
I don't want to go even more off topic, but because Kernel gave me the idea >_<

Can you make a wallpaper of your signature's picture? Or maybe you already have one uploaded? I'd love to use it  :D

Offline megashroom°

• Things!
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 09:49:23 pm »
Nice, cool with the cyborg eye on Rob. And the instruments looks very nice.

A vid would be awsome.

Offline Rox

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 03:31:31 pm »
Thanks for the comments! I needed some ego inflation to start the day, kinda stressed out about not having a computer or a job. So, depending on what goes down next week you may not hear from me in a while.

Quote from: XX256
Wow, looks like a lot of work to me, but impressive nonetheless. =D

A lot of work, indeed. The project was supposed to take five weeks and I managed in two. But now I have most of the things I need to continue with an animation.

Quote from: Kernel
Definitely looks cool. Took me a while to figure out it's actually made up of two contrasting parts, because the top half is a bit dark. I'd love to see a video of this, I wanna find out what the silhouette in the top part is actually up to

Mission accomplished, then. I meant the top part to kinda only be there if you wanted it to be. I feel if I'd given it more strength or space, it'd upset the balance of the rest of the image. And of course you can use it as your wallpaper! I'm flattered.

Can you make a wallpaper of your signature's picture? Or maybe you already have one uploaded? I'd love to use it
Of course! I don't know when, though, I don't have much time today, and like I said, I have no computer at home. So it might be a while. But I can get it done for you. I also have ridiculously big versions of the MaSu logo from Redeemer as well as the Ronin logo I made, if anyone's interested. And I wouldn't call it off-topic since it's technically a part of the poster anyway.

Quote from: Likfisken
Nice, cool with the cyborg eye on Rob. And the instruments looks very nice.
Awesome, thanks. I wanted to give each of them a bit of a stylized touch, but I didn't have the time to flesh anything out particularly well, so the only things that really stand out are the eye and Dezo's arm (which is really just an excuse to not have to recreate his spectacularly complex tattoo...) I wish I could've given the instruments more room, as I think they look pretty good considering the time I spent on them, but there's a very fine balance between showing off the stuff I made and making the image actually look serious. The poor DXMG is barely visible at all... and I wanted to give the bass some awesome reflections to show off its shape, but because the scene is mostly black, there wouldn't even be any visible reflections. Oh well.

If/when I do start with the video, it won't be done for quite some time. I crunched some really rough numbers, and I suspect the rendering alone would take a whole month. And that's not even a particularly big part of the process. If I pull it off, I suspect it may be done.. within one year? Maybe? We'll see.

[edit] Alright, here you go. Sunset ronin thingy wallpaper in two flavors, 1280x1024 and 1024x768. Maybe I should've done the dark borders like I did on my sig, but I forgot... and I don't have time to do anything about it right now. Hope that'll do. [/edit]
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 04:06:11 pm by Rox »

Lysix

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2008, 03:35:42 am »
rendering takes a whole month? as in, just exporting the video file?

Offline Viherminttu

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2008, 11:09:14 am »
It's not a style I'm into, but you did a good job. :)

As the local resident furry, I also approve of your sig.  ;)
<WereVolvo> moar sid! new album sux! music vid sux! machinae are sellouts! where i find crappack lulz? when is page getting updated? gief moar free songs plx. zomg plz come to the US/UK/Mars/Alpha Centauri! when r u guyz gonna do a tour? i think u shuld come to this festival it wuld be gr8!

Offline Aeon

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2008, 11:20:50 am »
The poster is awesome - agreed. The level of detail is nice. I especially like Jonne's right hand.
Rox' sig is awesome - *jawdrop* *10-minutes-long recovery* Bloody right it is. Don't we all love anthropomorphics (well, furries... the character in the picture definitely looks like one, just look at his face) with japanese outfits and weaponry? And besides, I just love the way it looks. God, I'm in love.
Rox' sig would make an excellent wallpaper - my thoughts exactly. Actually, I'm making it my wallpaper right after clicking the "Post" button.
"I also have ridiculously big versions of the MaSu logo from Redeemer as well as the Ronin logo I made, if anyone's interested" - could I have the former? I need a good quality MaSu logo that I could use for my graphic projects and couldn't find one.

Alright, back into shadows.
No more WoW references. WoW is evil.

Offline Blackiris

• My Blog
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2008, 03:20:39 pm »
Awesome! Thanks for the wallpapers; I'm using it right now XD

And I'm not the resident furry, or a furry at all, but they all always look so awesome. ^^

Offline Kernel

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2008, 04:11:33 pm »
I love that wallpaper. Unfortunately I cannot use it on my epically wide widescreen setup. Although I do like the color of the one I have now better, you can't see the silhouette's ears because it's so dark up there...

I don't want to cause you too much work, but I'd love to see a dark-bluish-purple dual-screen (my setup is 2960*1050) version of your wallpaper.

Gonna use the red one for my laptop now ^^

Offline daYak

• 90% herbivore
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2008, 10:03:23 am »
The second guy from the left looks like keanu reeves. Is that supposed to be gordon? Does Gordon look like keanu reeves?

Offline Aeon

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2008, 09:10:36 pm »
LOL. I've only just noticed the top part of the poster, above MaSu/Ronin logo, and the ears of the silhouetted character. Darn, I'm fast.

btw: could I know who made that sunset ronin picture you use in your sig/wallpaper? Just for future reference. ;)
No more WoW references. WoW is evil.

Offline Rox

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2008, 12:50:23 pm »
Yay, I found a computer I can steal for a little while. Replying time!

Quote from: mems
rendering takes a whole month? as in, just exporting the video file?
In 3D, it's so much more than just exporting. When you render, all the materials in the scene are calculated with precision, textures and other maps are applied onto geometry and changes the way the material behaves, or the way the light that hits the material behaves. The light sources themselves are applied and all the light itself is calculated. Where it goes, what it does, what gets brighter, which objects cast shadows and how they do it, if there's any light bouncing, how many times does each "photon" bounce and what characteristics does it carry from one surface to another, and so on. It's a complex process. And even though I expect a really low render time thanks to not having any particularly fancy lighting and such, there's a crapload of frames to do.

If the song is 4 minutes and I render at 25 frames per second, which is the most common rate for video, that's 6000 frames that have to be rendered individually. If each frame would take just one minute, that ends up at a rather hefty 360,000 seconds. That's 6000 minutes, or a hundred hours. And that's an absolute best-case scenario. One minute is a low estimation, and I'll likely render much more material than I actually need in order to get more freedom with post-production editing. And that's assuming I have a dedicated computer for rendering, which I don't. I'll use the same computer for fun and games quite often, and it can't render while I'm using it for other stuff. So... yeah, it's gonna take a while.

Quote from: Snorkmaiden
It's not a style I'm into, but you did a good job. :)

As the local resident furry, I also approve of your sig.  ;)
Thanks. To be honest, I'm not entirely pleased with the style, either. It's a mishmash of a bunch of different things. Too much polygons and too little texture, too much color to look like the genuine MaSu style but too much contrast to look like my style. Things I'll fix whenever I get my computer back up and running.

I'd fight you for that title, but I think this town's big enough for both of us.

Quote from: Aeon
The poster is awesome - agreed. The level of detail is nice. I especially like Jonne's right hand.
Rox' sig is awesome - *jawdrop* *10-minutes-long recovery* Bloody right it is. Don't we all love anthropomorphics (well, furries... the character in the picture definitely looks like one, just look at his face) with japanese outfits and weaponry? And besides, I just love the way it looks. God, I'm in love.
Rox' sig would make an excellent wallpaper - my thoughts exactly. Actually, I'm making it my wallpaper right after clicking the "Post" button.
"I also have ridiculously big versions of the MaSu logo from Redeemer as well as the Ronin logo I made, if anyone's interested" - could I have the former? I need a good quality MaSu logo that I could use for my graphic projects and couldn't find one.

Mission accomplished, again. It's funny that you figured he's got traditional Japanese clothing when you can't really see anything. At all. But that's what I was aiming for. I have full-fledged sketches of him elsewhere with the exact outfit I want him to have, and it is indeed very old-school Japanese. Glad I could somehow fit that impression into the image without actually showing it.

I'd throw you the Redeemer MaSu logo.. but my version is too big to upload anywhere I know of. What kind of resolution would you want it in? I bet Imageshack would like it more if I sized it down. 'course, I can't do that from here...

Awesome! Thanks for the wallpapers; I'm using it right now XD

And I'm not the resident furry, or a furry at all, but they all always look so awesome. ^^
Truth. I've always, and I mean always, had a fascination with anthropomorphic characters. And in art, they give me so much more freedom of creativity and so many more ways to express things. Humans are quite boring to look at, after all.

Quote from: Kernel
I love that wallpaper. Unfortunately I cannot use it on my epically wide widescreen setup. Although I do like the color of the one I have now better, you can't see the silhouette's ears because it's so dark up there...

I don't want to cause you too much work, but I'd love to see a dark-bluish-purple dual-screen (my setup is 2960*1050) version of your wallpaper.

Gonna use the red one for my laptop now ^^
I thought about making a widescreen one, too, but I couldn't figure out what resolution to use and I was in a hurry, so I didn't... I'd make that for you if I could. But alas, I have no computer. This one doesn't have Photoshop, either. I promise I'll make it whenever I can! If you don't mind waiting a potential couple of months...

Quote from: daYak
The second guy from the left looks like keanu reeves. Is that supposed to be gordon? Does Gordon look like keanu reeves?
I've never seen either of them in person, so I wouldn't know! I'm actually not very happy with that model. It looked good until I started posing them and adding lighting, then I lost what little likeness I used to have, somehow. Another thing I'll fix when I can. This poster IS actually just a work-in-progress preview, after all.

LOL. I've only just noticed the top part of the poster, above MaSu/Ronin logo, and the ears of the silhouetted character. Darn, I'm fast.

btw: could I know who made that sunset ronin picture you use in your sig/wallpaper? Just for future reference. ;)
I'm glad that people are missing that! Also, Google image search "made" the sunset itself, I made the rest. You don't think an artist would go about using sigs that other people made now, do you? Well... a lot of people do... But I'm too proud of my own work!

Holy crap that's a big post...

Offline Kernel

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2008, 05:25:10 pm »

Mission accomplished, again. It's funny that you figured he's got traditional Japanese clothing when you can't really see anything. At all. But that's what I was aiming for. I have full-fledged sketches of him elsewhere with the exact outfit I want him to have, and it is indeed very old-school Japanese. Glad I could somehow fit that impression into the image without actually showing it.

I also pictured him in traditional japanese clothing. Maybe it's just the Katana that makes him look like a samurai, so the rest of the image comes to your mind instantly...