Author Topic: Martial Arts  (Read 5464 times)

Offline Amdor

• Redemption is yours!
    • Last.fm
Re: Martial Arts
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2008, 07:14:22 pm »
Kung-fu is just one of chinese martial arts, as well as tai-chi. The whole of it is called "wu-shu", what is mandarinian just for... "martial arts".  8)

The terms Kung Fu and Wu Shu are often entirely interchangable when it comes to Chinese martial arts. When I was at the Shaolin Temple, our guide (a monk) used the two terms interchangably for the same style (Shaolin Kung Fu/Shaolin Wu Shu, of which San Da is the practical fighting part).
But let's not end up arguing about stuff in a language none of us can speak. Instead:
What styles have you faced (i.e. sparred against)? What are your thoughts about facing fighters from different styles?

Actually, I learn mandarinian a little* :D
But I'm not on a level on which I could discuss "deeply" about it.
As the matter of fact, the Chinese who is the "uber-instructor" said that using term kung-fu for all techniques is wrong. However, I'm not chinese mastah so that I rely on this thesis.  ;)

Now I learn begineer-forms (8, 10, 16, 24 if that tells something anyone)
But I think I'd be interesting to use these skills some time later against other styles. Tai-chi is a defensive style in fact, in which you try to neutralize who you fight against with few precise offensive movements. No aggresion, just calmly pushing opponent into the ground.  ;) That's the theory in general. (maybe I told something disaccording with the presumptions, but still...)  ::)

_____
* very little at this moment. I can barely construct basic phrases. I'm not discouraged though, just lack of time.
"If they give you ruled paper, write the other way."
-----------------------------------------------------------
<dezo> Let's not do anymore albums?
<gazosx> awesome idea

Offline Gravehill

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Dignity! Strength! Love!
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2008, 09:24:42 pm »
I've had semi-contact sparrings with some fellow karatekas and that one judoka I told about.
Random ramblings and furious feminine novels per versatility.

Offline WereVolvo

• IRC Love Butter supplier
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Volvot ulvoo kuun savuun!
    • My personal site
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2008, 09:39:37 pm »
I trained Wado Ryu karate for a few years a while ago... I should start training it again, if only because I'm horribly out of shape nowadays.

I also do some live steel fighting, using the scandinavian "hærkamp" system.
Me too. I was actually the one who introduced ol' Torpy to the whole shebang. Oh, and if I recall correctly, the system is actually called "Regia Anglorum" after the british reenactment group that originally created it. Whatever it's called, it's great fun, but geared more towards safely recreating mass battles rather than focusing on authentic techniques.
<@Torp> I have seen your melted pussy!

Real Dwarfs wall themselves in once they are underground, and survive through incest and cat farming.

Offline SpeedD

• Machinae Prime
  • Canada, BITCH!
    • Egg!
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2008, 09:54:48 pm »
1st degree black belt in Shorin Ryu style.

It was more about the exercise and staying healthy than anything else.
"What I felt was turned, in the tempest forged to hate. My soul I disconnected, and called out the Lightbringer to the gate."

Offline daYak

• 90% herbivore
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2008, 08:02:10 am »
I just started muay thai and been doing it for over 6 months now. I absolutely love it! So far I've only been training with the bags.

My trainer said I'm doing very well for a beginner, but he wouldn't let me spar too often because I'm still new.

I also do boxing, just because it's part of the gym membership that I already paid for. So why not :)

Offline Moheeheeko

• Stick 'em with the pointy end.
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2008, 10:00:01 am »
im currently sudying some mexican judo
(as in "ju dont know who you are messing with holmes")
and a bit of nike ju-jitsu (as in i run the fuck away)

"Jesus Christ, or so I have been led to believe from the revelations he has apparently made on this forum, fucks kittens. Or possibly cats."-Fiindil