Author Topic: Favourite Villains  (Read 9898 times)

Offline Bocom

• SiteDeveloper
  • I'm in despair!
    • Woah there!
Re: Favourite Villains
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2008, 10:25:06 pm »
L
I guess some of you don't know who he is and some of you think he's a good guy.
If you haven't already, then see Death Note as soon as possible.

How would you classify him as evil? I would say that Light is a bit more... twisted. :)

Uuuuuh, I can't think of a list right now, will probably post one later or something

interesting choice for a villain indeed.

it's definitely a bit of a perspective thing, because personally Light would be the "villain" to me.

and I'm choosing him as one of my top villains!

Light - Sadistic and brilliant.  When a character is clearly smarter than me and not just "written" to be smarter than me, I can't help but appreciate him... but then he applies his brilliance to such incredibly evil acts that he has to be one of my villains.

Well, Light is the one that's portrayed as a villain but if you think about the philosophy and ethics behind the choices that Light and L makes to counter and get ahead of the other guy you see a pattern: Light is less evil. He destroys evil to serve good and he does not purposefully hurt any innocent bystanders in the process.
L has a greater emotional side to him. That is what makes him evil imo. He purposefully uses and hurts ppl to reach his goals, well knowing that they may come to harm.
This is something that you have to accept different grades of evil to accept: If you kill someone evil you are less evil then someone that hurts an innocent to get to a killer.
ofc they make perfect badguys both of them =)
I just think that L is the one that's more evil because he uses ppl to get to Light. They are after all both killers and the one who's moar evil is the better badguy/villain.

Did I make sense now?

Ah yes, you did.
This quote is out of context:
<Bocom> I'm also going to see Quantum of Solace later
<Syndicated> Bocom: it is fucking scary
(@Radicz0r) Fuck! Its friday, and you wankers are talking about PIE. Pie! What the hell?

Offline Chronologix

• SiteDeveloper
  • I am Canadian!
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2008, 10:30:08 pm »
GLaDOS
Ganon
Kane
Adding: Gman...such a mysterious benefactor

not in any particular order.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 01:55:38 am by Chronologix »

Offline Drain

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2008, 12:33:53 am »
Hey Ant get on msn some time! :e Need to make plans for this summer xD Me and Sara are coming to vissit you in London are my plans xDD or something...

Offline evilcandybag

• of Fire
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Armoured Tanks of Mass Destruction
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2008, 01:40:43 am »
1. Dr. Doom (Marvel ) - The ultimate villain. While not really as evil as no . 2 and 3, he gains the top spot for never giving up. He is always plotting to gain more power, and taking shit from no one in a way no other villain does. In Marvel Secret Wars he even manages to steal the Beyonder's powers, which are on par with God's (albeit only for a short time). Respect.

2. Palpatine/Darth Sidious (Star Wars) - Even though his apprentice, Vader, has become more iconic, no villain reeks of evil as Palpatine does.

3. Walter/Marten/The Man In Black (The Dark Tower novels) - His slyness, sliminess, cowardice, sadism and utter villainy is unmatched.

4. Kane (C&C) - Apart from the traits people already have mentioned, there is one thing: he never dies. Sure, a lot of villains come back again and again, but Kane does it with more style than any of his co-villains.

5. Laila (Kapten Larsson Flyger Igen) - If any of you know about this one, I'd be impressed. She is a robot hooker who got   reprogrammed with a program used for pitching robots against each other in gladitorial combat. However, the program has a tiny bug that makes the program continue even after the match is over. This means she's going for universal highscore, i.e. conquering the universe. That reason alone makes her one of my top villains.
"Actually, wooden stakes are for vampires. Wooden steaks are for vegetarians."

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Happiness is Mandatory!
    • My homepage
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2008, 02:47:41 am »
Let's see... as much as I should, I don't have a top list of Favourite Villains. But I'll mention five that I think are worthy of consideration, at least.

Mr. Teatime from Discworld is a pretty good choice. I love that completely psycho bastard, and sorta hopes Pratchett will ressurect him for some purpose.

Kane from C&C is an old favourite. I've not much to add here, really.

Nyarlathotep might be considered sort of a villain. This horrible Outer God is my favourite Cthulhu bad guy.

Doctor Impossible from Soon I Will Be Invincible. He's the protagonist in the story, but he's very much a supervillain out to control the world. Read Soon I Will Be Invincible. Seriously.

If we can add an antihero to the list, I'd like to let John Constantine on my list. He's simply a really great character. If not, I'm going to nominate the all-time biggest and baddest villain of them all, Lucifer himself. In Paradise Lost version, I suppose.
...why Torp was picked over you... HE'S JUST BETTER THAN YOU IN EVERY RESPECT. -SomethingGood
<Radicz0r> Torp is well prepared for universal destruction

[03:18:49] <WereVolvo> ARCTIC
[03:18:51] <WereVolvo> not arctic

Offline Von

• Per Ardua ad Astra
    • Through Adversity to the Skies
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2008, 05:37:36 am »
Teatime was a pussy.

GLaDoS is the best I can think of currently. Kane is good, but a little cheesy.

Offline Amdor

• Redemption is yours!
    • Last.fm
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2008, 10:50:45 am »
2. Palpatine/Darth Sidious (Star Wars) - Even though his apprentice, Vader, has become more iconic, no villain reeks of evil as Palpatine does.
Yeah, and Palpatine also "respawned" a couple of times. (He had a few cloned bodies which he used after Galactic Civil War to come back and rasie Empire)  8)

4. Kane (C&C) - Apart from the traits people already have mentioned, there is one thing: he never dies. Sure, a lot of villains come back again and again, but Kane does it with more style than any of his co-villains.

qft.
"If they give you ruled paper, write the other way."
-----------------------------------------------------------
<dezo> Let's not do anymore albums?
<gazosx> awesome idea

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Happiness is Mandatory!
    • My homepage
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2008, 12:18:22 pm »
Teatime was a pussy.

He sorta was. But he was an insane and pretty cool pussy.

And GlaDOS probably should have been on my list, come to think of it. I think Nyarla just got dropped, as he's not really a villain as much as a mad god.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 12:21:46 pm by Torp v2.0 »
...why Torp was picked over you... HE'S JUST BETTER THAN YOU IN EVERY RESPECT. -SomethingGood
<Radicz0r> Torp is well prepared for universal destruction

[03:18:49] <WereVolvo> ARCTIC
[03:18:51] <WereVolvo> not arctic

Offline Aphex

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2008, 01:36:46 pm »
Loki, the master of trickery.

page 1
page 2

Offline cherko

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2008, 02:50:56 pm »
1. Benjamin Linus (Lost) - Although I'm not sure if he's good or bad at the moment, he was sort of a villain at one point, and is also one of the most interesting, if not the most interesting, fictional characters ever.

2. Kefka (Final Fantasy VI) - Although I didn't really like FF 3/6 as much as most people (2/4 and 5 are much better in my opinion) Kefka is one of THE villains.

3. Light (Death Note) - Yeah, I consider Light to be the villain, but I was still rooting for him all along.

4. Sylar (Heroes) - Is quite cool. Well, doesn't compare to any of the three mentioned above, but no one does.

5. This is getting tricky... Kakihara? Jon Irenicus? Alex DeLarge? HAL 9000?

Offline Kråhffäh

• I listened to MaSu when they were undergrounderer.
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2008, 05:07:09 pm »
Almost every villian in one piece

I love the villians in one piece, since they all have their own uniqe powers and personalities.

L

Maybe he isn't a traditional villian, but actiully it's all about the perspective. Since Light/Kira is the main character and L is his enemy, it'd make L the villian of the series, even if he's good/evil/whatever.

Shredder

Come on, you know you love him.
Quote from: Dezo
m8, teh win... you has it!!  ;D

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2008, 09:39:00 pm »
Grimmjow from Bleach

Bahamut SIN from the final fantasy series

Or just all SIN's ;]

Shredder fuck yeah.

Hexidecimal from Reboot

And last but not least

Diablo from the Diablo 2 game, its just so awesome to see him evolve

Baal is awesome too..

Oh and the (Dark) Archons from starcraft can't be called villains.. and ofcourse i love sarah kerrigan aswell ;]

Offline Gravehill

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Dignity! Strength! Love!
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2008, 10:04:18 pm »
I got some "favourite" villains, here are some. Can't get really put them in any order and can't limit their amount to five, unfortunately. Here are my favs (tried to avoid spoilers, there should be none) :

Al Swearengen (Deadwood)
This guy is just great villain. Primitive, brutal yet elegant (in some perverse way) and intelligent. He does not only order murders but does some dirty work personally as well - and when he does he does it upclose and personal. He is bastard but very charismatic and almost lovable one.

Hannibal Lecter
Well... He just sends shivers down my spine. Intelligent cannibal who finds his way to the mind of others, not having mercy for flesh or soul.

Dracula/Nosferatu
Classical villain with multiple versions both in literature and in movies. From movie versions my favourite is Christopher Lee's Dracula. Just loved those movies he made back then. I liked also the TV-movie "Dark Prince : The True Story Of Dracula" which is more closely based on the actual historical person.

Nix (Lord Of Illusions (the movie))
What can I say... He is evil incarnated

Ryunosuke Tatsue (Dai-bosatsu tôge/The Sword Of Doom)
Samurai villain without rivals

Griffith (Berserk)
Ready to sacrifice everything for power and glory... Beautiful yet horrifying.

Gunnar (Pathfinder)
Viking chief. Cunning, fierce and forceful warrior with no mercy to women, children nor animals.

Keyser Söze (The Usual Suspects)
Intelligent criminal mastermind of underworld.

Light (Deathnote)
Not much to add to anything that's said before in this thread.
Random ramblings and furious feminine novels per versatility.

Offline PrescriptiveBarony

• Machinae Prime
  • Let there be blacklight.
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2008, 11:24:22 pm »
Theodore "T-Bag" Bagwell from Prison Break. Beautifully played by Robert Knepper (although the character's writing hasn't been as good in the later seasons)

Thrawn - Timothy Zahn managed to create a villain more understandable and interesting than Vader... and a fitting character design to boot.

Q - from Star Trek TNG. Maybe not so much a villain, but certainly a wonderful character.

Hexadecimal - from Reboot. Kids' show villains can be pretty awesome.

Sheogoroth - from TESIV: Shivering Isles. This expansion was continually refreshing in terms of originality in content and gameplay, and the writing of the character of the Madgod (and his addled citizens) was no small part of it.

Quote from: Drakonis
Everybody should just <3.

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2008, 08:11:10 pm »
Oh and for what its worth Spawn deserves an honorable mention :]