Author Topic: Favourite Villains  (Read 9893 times)

Offline Ant

• Donated so refic can buy beer
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • It's personal text.
Favourite Villains
« on: April 25, 2008, 02:38:48 pm »
Tried searching to see if this had been done before but couldn't find any. Even in the old archives. So...

You can only have 5 villains to list and maybe a reason as to why they're so awesome in your eyes. Not necessarily in any order.

NB: Can be from any medium.

1. Millenium Earl (Always smiling, being polite and an awesome get-up. How could anyone think he's trying to kill off the inferior human race to make way for a superior one?).
2. Gannondorf/Gannon (If it wasn't for him Link wouldn't have an excuse to go on many awesome adventures which ate away my childhood).
3. Illidan (He was a villain for a short while in the WC series' campaign, and by chance when he looks his coolest. Tattered and torn giant wings, leaving firey footprints behind which scorched the earth he walked on, dual wielding giant crescent blades, an awesome and not to mention his spells and abilities).
4. The Punisher (An anti-hero who is stupidly invincible, but he's the kinda guy I grew up wanting to be... apart from the murder, kidnapping and stuff).
5. Alex DeLarge (From A Clockwork Orange, favourite movie of all time and so, logically, has one of my favourite villains who happens to be the main character. Great music taste to be sure and brutal without a doubt).
But if one day we meet together while I'm drunk, I promise you to draw a big group sex picture including a lot of forumites. :D

Ich bin ein Berliner, Frankfurter, Hamburger und Bonner

Offline WereVolvo

• IRC Love Butter supplier
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Volvot ulvoo kuun savuun!
    • My personal site
Re: Favourite Villains
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 01:36:05 am »
Ooh, nifty concept. Here's my five, in no particular order:

(oh, and damnit, Ant - you had to go and call dibs on Alex DeLarge, eh? ;D)

1. Jon Irenicus
- from Baldur's Gate 2. Badass uncaring villain willing to do whatever, and I mean WHATEVER it takes to regain immortality and power, preferably by including the main character and his/her friends in twisted, painful experiments. All his plots, villainry and unspeakable atrocities only make the final endgame triumph over him that much sweeter.
Quote: "I cannot be caged. I cannot be conquered. Understand this as you die, ever pathetic, ever fools." - said offhandedly as he slaughters several powerful Cowled Wizards without so much as breaking a sweat.

2. Deadpool
- from Marvel Comics.
Strictly speaking not a villain, but sure as hell not a hero either. Fast-talking cheerfully homicidal mercenary with a penchant for breaking the third wall, willing to do most jobs as long as someone pays him.
Quote: What isn't quote-worthy from this guy? Nicknamed "The Merc with a mouth", uses his banter to distract enemies

3. Hannibal Lecter
- from Silence of the Lambs, and other movies.
Rather obvious, methinks. Anthony Hopkins' portrayal of this charming, cultured and utterly ruthless cannibalistic serial killer still gives me the shivers.
Quote: "Tell me, Clarice - have the lambs stopped screaming?"

4. Mister Teatime
- from the Discworld novel Hogfather (and the movie adaption).
Cheerful, friendly and twisted, graduate of the Guild of Assassins, Mister Teatime would much rather kill you than look at you. His morbidly funny obsessions crack me up every time.
Quote:

"Teatime: -  I like animals, sir.
Lord Downey: - Indeed. I have a report here that says you nailed Sir George's dog to the ceiling.
Teatime: - Couldn't have it barking while I was working, sir."

5. Odin/Mister Wednesday
- from American Gods, by Neil Gaiman
Manipulative but likable bastard. The way he appears to be one of the main good guys while secretly engineering a mass slaughter of gods to fuel his own rebirth, even to the point of sacrificing himself and his son, is simply masterful.
<@Torp> I have seen your melted pussy!

Real Dwarfs wall themselves in once they are underground, and survive through incest and cat farming.

Offline dezo

• ex Defence Against the Dark Arts
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 01:44:43 am »
L
I guess some of you don't know who he is and some of you think he's a good guy.
If you haven't already, then see Death Note as soon as possible.

Offline Mithrandil

• Poetica
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 01:47:54 am »
Wouldn't call Punisher a villain due to him being one of Marvel's "superheroes",
though he's fought with spidey a few times ;)

Well my list:
1. Sephiroth (FFVII) - Never hated a bad guy as much as Seph's portrayal in this great game.
2. Scar (The Lion King) - Killed his own brother, and was voiced by Jeremy Irons
3. Darth Vader (Star Wars)- Breaths like he's hit by some heavy lung disease, but has a epicly mean voice
4. The Joker (Batman) Awesome villain both in the comic and on the silver screen; Jack did him superbly in the movie, and hopefully will turn out great in "The Dark Knight" as well.
5. Sylar (Heroes) eventhough this series is fairly new, Sylar is really pulling my strings in terms of being so damn hateful :P

4. Mister Teatime
- from the Discworld novel Hogfather (and the movie adaption).

o.O Another Discworld reader on these boards? Pratchett is my favorite author xD

L

Hahaha - well, everything is relative, so good doesn't necessarily mean good ;)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 01:50:48 am by Mithrandil »

Lysix

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2008, 02:07:51 am »
Xemnas from Kingdom Hearts 2, because his name is an anagram of mansex.

Offline Niccho

• Trying is the first step towards failure
    • -Niccho-
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2008, 03:40:19 am »
My personal favourite is probably Brother Cavil or Number 1 from Battlestar Galactica played by Dean Stockwell.

Offline Trezker

• Machinae Prime
  • I don't eat food!
    • Trezker is a programmer
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2008, 10:07:33 am »
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 10:09:49 am by Trezker »

You have the power of TIME ON YOUR HANDS. -Laser
"Oh come on Trez, everyone knows you're sexy" -Spider Chii

Offline Amdor

• Redemption is yours!
    • Last.fm
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2008, 12:21:33 pm »
1. Lord Vader (Star Wars) - the most feared for his true power. It's kinda of "bad" respect, but he looks so demonic...  ;D
2. Grand Admiral Thrawn (Star Wars - Zahn's "Thrawn Trilogy") - greatest strategist, psychologist and... art connoisseur. His larde knowledga and cleverness allowed him to trick any enemy and, in result, defeat him easily.
3. Kane (Command & Conquer) - the most charismatic leader ever presented. His people would do (and did) for him more than sacrifice their lives. He could raise his empire even form total ruin.

I'll put some more if I think a little bit longer.
"If they give you ruled paper, write the other way."
-----------------------------------------------------------
<dezo> Let's not do anymore albums?
<gazosx> awesome idea

Offline Bocom

• SiteDeveloper
  • I'm in despair!
    • Woah there!
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2008, 12:53:10 pm »
L

How would you classify him as evil? I would say that Light is a bit more... twisted. :)

Uuuuuh, I can't think of a list right now, will probably post one later or something
This quote is out of context:
<Bocom> I'm also going to see Quantum of Solace later
<Syndicated> Bocom: it is fucking scary
(@Radicz0r) Fuck! Its friday, and you wankers are talking about PIE. Pie! What the hell?

Offline Viherminttu

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2008, 03:04:47 pm »
Hannibal Lecter
Both movie and book versions.
<WereVolvo> moar sid! new album sux! music vid sux! machinae are sellouts! where i find crappack lulz? when is page getting updated? gief moar free songs plx. zomg plz come to the US/UK/Mars/Alpha Centauri! when r u guyz gonna do a tour? i think u shuld come to this festival it wuld be gr8!

Offline Sirix

• Self proclaimed forum Villain
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2008, 06:35:33 pm »
L

How would you classify him as evil? I would say that Light is a bit more... twisted. :)

Uuuuuh, I can't think of a list right now, will probably post one later or something

interesting choice for a villain indeed.

it's definitely a bit of a perspective thing, because personally Light would be the "villain" to me.

and I'm choosing him as one of my top villains!

Light - Sadistic and brilliant.  When a character is clearly smarter than me and not just "written" to be smarter than me, I can't help but appreciate him... but then he applies his brilliance to such incredibly evil acts that he has to be one of my villains.

Orachimaru - Not even kidding.  Even though Orachimaru is a very typical villain in many respects, I think the fact that they got his voice so absolutely dead on and perfect that makes me really like him.  They actually mange to make me feel scared for the cast of Naruto when he's around.  An effective villain.

Sarah Kerrigan - She's the queen bitch of the universe.  Nuff said.

Sarda from 8-bit theatre - Not technically a villain, but definitely a gigantic ass hole.  and a hilarious gigantic ass hole.

Xykon from Order of the Stick - Such a child like, apathetic, hilarious villain.  Also - extremely powerful.  Any villain who can kill a main character and take over a major city has to get a spot in a favourite villain list

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2008, 07:36:00 pm »
1 - SHODAN (System Shock 2)
Magnificent. I urge everybody to either play SS2 or read this article.

2 - Darth Vader (Star Wars)
Great suit, great voice, tragic backstory (horrendous playing by Mr. Christensen notwithstanding), even redeems himself at the end - what a badass. Nothing like him. I'm not even a Star Wars fan.

3 - Johann Liebert (Monster)
Lots of villains shake the world, but the way Johann does it is so subtle and sinister, it's electrifying. As the title implies, it's all about him.

4 - Anton Chigur (No Country for Old Men)
Like Ratched below, this guy is just chilling. When he shows up, you know things are going down.

5 - Nurse Ratched (One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest)
Scary than many horror movie antagonists. Enough said.

Would be on here if it was expanded:

6 - Keyser Söze (The Usual Suspects)
7 - Lo Pan (Big Trouble in Little China)
8 - Death (Six-String Samurai)
9 - Kakihara (Koroshiya Ichi)
10 - Charles Foster Kane (Citizen Kane)
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Offline Lexx

• Ministry of Cynicism
  • Community Supporter
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2008, 09:13:37 pm »
SODAN is awesome. :P Mister Teatime and Odin are good ones too. GLaDOS come up yet?

o.O Another Discworld reader on these boards? Pratchett is my favorite author xD

Same here.
DRAMA

Smeagol

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2008, 09:25:18 pm »
This question can be solved simply:

Did David Warner provide the voice of villain? If yes, then villain is awesome. If no, then villain is likely not awesome.

Cases in point:

Jon Irenicus - Baldur's Gate 2 SoA
Morpheus - Fallout
Sark - Tron

And so on and so forth.

Offline dezo

• ex Defence Against the Dark Arts
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2008, 09:43:45 pm »
L

interesting choice for a villain indeed.

it's definitely a bit of a perspective thing, because personally Light would be the "villain" to me.

and I'm choosing him as one of my top villains!

Light - Sadistic and brilliant.  When a character is clearly smarter than me and not just "written" to be smarter than me, I can't help but appreciate him... but then he applies his brilliance to such incredibly evil acts that he has to be one of my villains.

Well, Light is the one that's portrayed as a villain but if you think about the philosophy and ethics behind the choices that Light and L makes to counter and get ahead of the other guy you see a pattern: Light is less evil. He destroys evil to serve good and he does not purposefully hurt any innocent bystanders in the process.
L has a greater emotional side to him. That is what makes him evil imo. He purposefully uses and hurts ppl to reach his goals, well knowing that they may come to harm.
This is something that you have to accept different grades of evil to accept: If you kill someone evil you are less evil then someone that hurts an innocent to get to a killer.
ofc they make perfect badguys both of them =)
I just think that L is the one that's more evil because he uses ppl to get to Light. They are after all both killers and the one who's moar evil is the better badguy/villain.

Did I make sense now?