Author Topic: Found : Angry muslims!  (Read 9742 times)

Offline dezo

• ex Defence Against the Dark Arts
  • Machinae Prime
Re: Found : Angry muslims!
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2008, 01:20:25 am »
religion.

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2008, 01:31:21 am »
No they don't. Its just who we are, we're always looking for something to kill one another for, wether its color, beliefs, money, posession.. ANYTHING.

Stuff like this is completely normal.

And in attempting to give an example of why humanity doesn't suck, you have successfully proven why humanity sucks.
Haha, you are a perceptive fellow.
Basically yeah. But i meant two different things with that.
We don't suck because we make war, but we make war because we suck.

Does that make any sense, i can't really point it out any clearer i think.

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2008, 01:39:37 am »
religion.

Actually, politics.

(And then politicians using religion for sinister purposes.)
That's the problem with heroes, really. Their only purpose in life is to thwart others. They make no plans, develop no strategies. They react instead of act. Without villains, heroes would stagnate. Without heroes, villains would be running the world. Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic.

Offline Von

• Per Ardua ad Astra
    • Through Adversity to the Skies
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2008, 01:44:55 am »
Haha, you are a perceptive fellow.
Basically yeah. But i meant two different things with that.
We don't suck because we make war, but we make war because we suck.

Does that make any sense, i can't really point it out any clearer i think.

I get you - chicken or egg scenario.

Actually, politics.

(And then politicians using religion for sinister purposes.)

Heh, I think that one is the other way about. Politics is the spawn of religious embroilment. Either way, religion is the source of the wast majority of war and political turmoil in the modern world.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 01:52:06 am by Von »

Offline WereVolvo

• IRC Love Butter supplier
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Volvot ulvoo kuun savuun!
    • My personal site
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2008, 02:22:19 am »
I beg to differ. Religion in and of itself is not necessarily the problem. It's when you start adding people into the mix, and people taking advantage of that religion to attain power over other people, that things start looking ugly. As with everything else. People are the problem, not necessarily the religion they belong to.
<@Torp> I have seen your melted pussy!

Real Dwarfs wall themselves in once they are underground, and survive through incest and cat farming.

Offline Von

• Per Ardua ad Astra
    • Through Adversity to the Skies
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2008, 02:39:11 am »
My point exactly - people, in this case, are not a variable but a constant, in that you never will be able to remove them from the equation.

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Happiness is Mandatory!
    • My homepage
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2008, 02:40:08 am »
Sorry, Von, but todays wars (all wars) are a lot more realpolitik, ethnicity and dignity than it's about religion.

Oh, there are some who do war and terror for religion, but it's often not religion per se that starts the wars or the terror.

A lot of the middle eastern problems can be traced to poverty and unfair treatment of the arab people (let's take a look at Palestina compared to Israel, shall we?), and stuff like that. The trouble in Africa is mostly ethnical, and comes from the good old days of Imperialism (so does some of the Israel-palestinian problems as well). The West decided to cut up Africa with rulers on a piece of paper, without any care for current territorial borders. After they retreated, a number of different rather hostile tribes were suddenly left unchecked and trying to coexist peacefully together. This failed in many countries.

Truth is, you could take religion out of almost every conflict we have today and it still would be a conflict. Religion just works really well as an excuse.

For the record, none of the big wars the last hundred or so years have been religious in nature.

...why Torp was picked over you... HE'S JUST BETTER THAN YOU IN EVERY RESPECT. -SomethingGood
<Radicz0r> Torp is well prepared for universal destruction

[03:18:49] <WereVolvo> ARCTIC
[03:18:51] <WereVolvo> not arctic

Lysix

« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2008, 03:42:40 am »
and thus, the cycle continues.

Offline gaijin

• Hiding behind the couch
  • Community Supporter
  • "You sound like the Morning Star"
    • Motljus
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2008, 04:06:26 am »
Truth is, you could take religion out of almost every conflict we have today and it still would be a conflict. Religion just works really well as an excuse.

Excuse, yes.. but mainly also as a catalyst.

Take a minor dispute, be it about land, politics, different tastes in clothing, fashion for monkeys, whatever.. and it'll remain a minor dispute for ages. If you make sure that both parties have different ideas about who's God has got the bigger dick? .. You've got yourself a possible nuke-tossing-fight in nanoseconds.

"Modern weapons and ancient hatreds - my kind of fight!" // G. Carlin.
Oi, is this when I get a huge sig-image, start whining about "moar sid" and make nonsensical arguments to no good?

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2008, 08:32:25 pm »
Excuse, yes.. but mainly also as a catalyst.

Take a minor dispute, be it about land, politics, different tastes in clothing, fashion for monkeys, whatever.. and it'll remain a minor dispute for ages. If you make sure that both parties have different ideas about who's God has got the bigger dick? .. You've got yourself a possible nuke-tossing-fight in nanoseconds.

Americans seem to get along fine. :P There's lots of Christian sects in the country claiming one or the other believes in a false God and is going to hell, and a lot of political arguments from the right wing on social issues revolve around the godlessness or immorality of the other side. All of this stuff is just talk, though (as much as some wish that Democrats/liberals/"heathens" could be nuked/shot/executed violently).

Now, if a politician saw these disputes as a chance to use these people to achieve power... things could very easily turn violent.

At any rate, I think people will always find more petty things to argue and fight over. Like Rad and others have said, it's just in our nature to fight. Blaming religion for the world's problems is just a fallacy, because the issues all start far deeper than that. Religion is just one of various tools people use to achieve power.
That's the problem with heroes, really. Their only purpose in life is to thwart others. They make no plans, develop no strategies. They react instead of act. Without villains, heroes would stagnate. Without heroes, villains would be running the world. Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic.