Author Topic: Booze  (Read 14851 times)

Offline Chronologix

• SiteDeveloper
  • I am Canadian!
Booze
« on: April 09, 2008, 09:03:10 am »
ok so...i need booze...good booze, not just any booze.

I was searching around trying to find out what the best rum i could acquire from my local liquor store would be, but doubt that it would carry any of the ones I found.

Never tried Whisky...and this may sound like blasphemy but I hate the taste of beer (or at least any of the ones I have had)

Don't drink Vodka much, etc. etc....

Whatever suggestions you got, bring em on!

Offline Gravehill

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Dignity! Strength! Love!
Re: Booze
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 12:24:41 pm »
Bacardis are good. You can try dark rum as well, preferable from caribbean area. This one is what I drank last

and it was very good. I usually mix rum with Cola and maybe add lemon but it's tastes good just as it is as well. I have tried several caribbean rums (almost everyone that's available in Finland) and so far all of them have been good. You can try drink called Stroh if you like - it gots more alcohol and tastes like strong alcohol. It's rum type drink but technically it is not rum. It's really good party drink if you mix it with Cola but I don't drink it otherwise... One of my friends calls it "poison" and I can understand his viewpoint.

If you want to taste something really yummy buy some mint liqueur, cook some hot chocolate and add mint liqueur there when you're about to drink it. Outcome is warm drink that tastes good. In the matter of fact it tastes so good that be careful not to drink too much since you barely notice the taste of alcohol there even if you put in quite much liqueur there.
Random ramblings and furious feminine novels per versatility.

Offline dezo

• ex Defence Against the Dark Arts
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 01:39:02 pm »

Offline Chronologix

• SiteDeveloper
  • I am Canadian!
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 10:53:31 pm »
Ya, I usually drink Rum and Coke (some times I use Dr.Pepper+Pepsi+Rum...its pretty good)

And just finished some Bacardi Gold that I didn't find overly impressive. I will have to keep an eye out for those :)

Offline evilcandybag

• of Fire
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Armoured Tanks of Mass Destruction
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 11:14:14 pm »
Tequila Gold is very nice to drink, and has enough taste to drink it straight.
Sambouka is nice, very sweet stuff with a taste of licorice.
Minttu is a nice very sweet booze with a strong taste of mint (dont' think you can get it over in the 'states, though).
If you can get ahold of it, get some Chinese Aqua Vitae. It's very strong, tastes of rice and has a great burn.
Whisky is obvious.

All these drinks are supposed to be drunk straight with no extra shit like lemons, salt, cola or whatever.
"Actually, wooden stakes are for vampires. Wooden steaks are for vegetarians."

Offline Von

• Per Ardua ad Astra
    • Through Adversity to the Skies
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 12:17:52 am »
Jagermeister! Strong aniseed taste, awesome to drink straight.

Also, if you've never tried whisky, make sure your first taste isn't a blended. Get a single malt. A good starting point would be Glenfiddich.

Lysix

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 12:27:43 am »
Glenfiddich.

ahaha, i used to put all my colouring pencils and felt tip pens in a metal glenfiddich case when i was younger.
sorry, had to be said.

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Happiness is Mandatory!
    • My homepage
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 01:05:31 am »
evilcandybag: Golden Tequila can, if shotted, be drunk with stuff, german-style. That is, cinnamon instead of salt, orange instead of lemon.

Nobody's suggested cognac yet, I see. There's also this drink whose name I've forgotten, a mixture of cognac and grapejuice. It's rather good, but only about 18%, so not a spirit. There's also port wine, which is yummy if you get the right one. It's about 20%. Graham's is a good one. Of course, you'll have to like red wine.

A new favourite of mine is gin. Well, it's not a new favourite, I've liked it for quite some time as a part of Gin & Tonic, or other drinks, but I've found that it's actually a pretty good spirit to drink straight as well. Or, even better, in a dry martini (that is, a mixture of gin and vermouth. The vermouth need not be Martini brand. The mixture should be little vermouth to lots of gin).
...why Torp was picked over you... HE'S JUST BETTER THAN YOU IN EVERY RESPECT. -SomethingGood
<Radicz0r> Torp is well prepared for universal destruction

[03:18:49] <WereVolvo> ARCTIC
[03:18:51] <WereVolvo> not arctic

Offline Chronologix

• SiteDeveloper
  • I am Canadian!
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2008, 01:55:36 am »
Sambouka is nice, very sweet stuff with a taste of licorice.

I have had it, but I hate the taste of black licorice so..that one is out :P

Offline cloudstrifex

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2008, 03:03:25 am »
Three Olives Vodka or Miller High Life for beer (or even Busch :P).

Offline evilcandybag

• of Fire
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2008, 03:06:27 am »
evilcandybag: Golden Tequila can, if shotted, be drunk with stuff, german-style. That is, cinnamon instead of salt, orange instead of lemon.

The 'supposed' was of course my own opinion entirely. In my ideal world it's a crime to mix any booze with anything else except perhaps a little water after it's left the bottle.

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Happiness is Mandatory!
    • My homepage
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2008, 04:11:38 am »
But then you have to disapprove of a number of pretty damn nifty drinks. This is a problem...

Now, I am in agreeance with you when it comes to whisky, or more specifically, high-quality whiskies. They should not be mixed with anything but some water. I suppose the same can be said to go for a number of other high-quality spirits as well. However, the idea that one should not mix spirits with other beverages, alcoholic or non-alcoholic, must be discounted as just plain wrong and crazy talk.

First of all, a number of alcoholic beverages are already mixtures. Good examples are port wine (without with which we would not have port casks to keep our whiskies in, which, indeed, makes a number of the best whiskies actually a blend of whisky and trace amounts of other beverages (in sufficient amounts to give the whisky taste)) and Pineau des Charentes.

Secondly, there are a number of drinks and cocktails that are simply very good. One such is the martini, which admittedly needs not be a cocktail (the so-called Churchill Martini is in fact just gin. If the gin is high-quality, this is quite enjoyable, and also gives you a lot of weird looks). On the topic of gin, Gin & Tonic is a traditional and very refreshing drink on a hot summer day.

Now, a good cocktail or mixed drink is made not to mask the taste of alcoholic beverages, but to enhance the taste experience in some way. There are two different approaches here: Having the alcohol as the base and having the alcohol as a flavouring agent. A martini is a classical example of the former; the taste of the gin is subtly modified by the addition of the vermouth, making for a more interesting drink. A G&T is exactly the opposite; the gin is used as a flavouring agent to the tonic water, originally to mask the bitter taste of quinine, which was used as a medicine to prevent malaria.

In many cases of cocktails and drinks one can actually well defend the use of expensive and high-quality alcohols. This goes especially for the former kind, where the spirit will usually be at least 3/4th of volume (before ice, though most cocktails of this kind should be served up, that is strained; the drink will be chilled, but no ice is left to melt and dilute it nor keep it chilled to 0 degrees Celcius (I, myself, when enjoying a drink of this kind, will usually prefer it to heat up a bit from the shaking as warmer drinks taste more)).

This brings me to a sort of conclusion: The addition of other ingredients to an alcoholic beverage is most highly acceptable, when done for the right reasons. The right reasons should be to enhance the flavour and your enjoyment, not to mask the taste of the spirit so as to more easily get drunk. Using high-quality spirits can in many cases be defended; however in cases of drinks where the taste of the spirit is not the main flavour, it should usually be considered superfluous. That is not to say that you should use low-quality spirits; I do not condone the use of cheap and bad spirits for any reason. There is still a difference between making your Cuba Libre with a standard Havana Club Añejo Blanco and a Añejo 15 Años.
...why Torp was picked over you... HE'S JUST BETTER THAN YOU IN EVERY RESPECT. -SomethingGood
<Radicz0r> Torp is well prepared for universal destruction

[03:18:49] <WereVolvo> ARCTIC
[03:18:51] <WereVolvo> not arctic

Offline Moheeheeko

• Stick 'em with the pointy end.
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2008, 08:33:11 am »

Nobody's suggested cognac yet, I see. There's also this drink whose name I've forgotten, a mixture of cognac and grapejuice. It's rather good, but only about 18%, so not a spirit. There's also port wine, which is yummy if you get the right one. It's about 20%. Graham's is a good one. Of course, you'll have to like red wine.

theres something liek that here in the states called HypnotiQ, its cognac vodka and fruit juices, mighty tasty, but bloody expensive.

"Jesus Christ, or so I have been led to believe from the revelations he has apparently made on this forum, fucks kittens. Or possibly cats."-Fiindil

Offline Viherminttu

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2008, 11:26:09 am »
Seconding Sambucca. Love the stuff.

I'm mostly a beer drinking. I drink beers like Asahi, Tiger, Coopers, Boag's, James Squire, BeezNeez and Bluetongue (Aussie beers I actually like), etc.
<WereVolvo> moar sid! new album sux! music vid sux! machinae are sellouts! where i find crappack lulz? when is page getting updated? gief moar free songs plx. zomg plz come to the US/UK/Mars/Alpha Centauri! when r u guyz gonna do a tour? i think u shuld come to this festival it wuld be gr8!

Offline evilcandybag

• of Fire
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2008, 01:59:29 pm »
But then you have to disapprove of a number of pretty damn nifty drinks. This is a problem...

Of course I have to. And for me, it's not a problem since I have yet to find any such drink that I like.