Poll

Seriously. Who cares?

I care.
23 (41.1%)
Not me.
33 (58.9%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Voting closed: March 22, 2008, 09:24:11 pm

Author Topic: Who the f--k cares about OGG?  (Read 15464 times)

Lysix

Re: Who the f--k cares about OGG?
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2008, 11:49:36 pm »
Oh, actually, I was consideringen the staggering possibility that there are more Machinae Supremacy fans than there are people registered on this forum.

you mean there are more of our kind..out there?
the light! it burns!

i think you should just drop the .ogg format support entirely. but refics download stats may give you reasons not to!

Offline WereVolvo

• IRC Love Butter supplier
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Volvot ulvoo kuun savuun!
    • My personal site
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2008, 12:31:16 am »
Oh, I care a great deal what you guys think. That is why I ask. But I thought I should share the reason I asked, as well.

What happens depends on how people reacts. How do you think we started providing oggs in the first place? Someone suggested it and we thought it was a good idea. But now, years later, it still seems like OGG isn't really picking up speed.

FLAC seems like a more promising format, if are to invest time and resources in more than mp3. But I haven't decided yet, I need input on the matter.

if you started providing the webography in FLAC, I'd fall down on my knees and worship you (well, more than I already do, at least... if that's even possible)
<@Torp> I have seen your melted pussy!

Real Dwarfs wall themselves in once they are underground, and survive through incest and cat farming.

Offline Irrationalist

« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2008, 01:07:46 am »
Its always just more valuable to go with the default. It can be alot or work maintaining an mp3 collection and finding indie or rare stuff in that format let alone in ogg flac or any other odd lil format. The benefits of a lil better compression or lil bette sound quality is not enough TO ME to justify using a non-standard format (any format that isnt one of the top three)

Offline eloj

• Five-by-Five
    • eloj
« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2008, 03:00:47 am »
As for quality, I don't really think one sounds better than the other, albeit they do sound _different_ from one another.

So, when's the last time you listened to a 64kbit mp3 vs a 64kbit vorbis?

Vorbis for teh wins. I encode everything in vorbis, and I pick my hardware based on that.

Vorbis is just better technically, and you don't feel all dirty for supporting the software patent monsters that are Fraunhofer and Thomson.
What do you mean the new album isn't called Brojectiot groader?!

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2008, 06:55:00 am »
I care about ogg. I think you should keep the oggs on the page.

I would prefer FLAC. I think you should offer FLACs on the page. FLACs are unfeasible for (f/ht)tp download, however.

Solution: torrents.

"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Offline Crazywater

« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2008, 02:14:13 pm »

I would prefer FLAC. I think you should offer FLACs on the page. FLACs are unfeasible for (f/ht)tp download, however.

That is a great idea. :)
We're open to such things, we've even talked many times about doing it with Inja, but in a way that's redundant because we can already get Erica
:o brown chicken brown cow :o

Offline Bocom

• SiteDeveloper
  • I'm in despair!
    • Woah there!
« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2008, 02:26:23 pm »

I agree. :)
This quote is out of context:
<Bocom> I'm also going to see Quantum of Solace later
<Syndicated> Bocom: it is fucking scary
(@Radicz0r) Fuck! Its friday, and you wankers are talking about PIE. Pie! What the hell?

Offline Deep

« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2008, 07:22:14 pm »

I agree. :)

Agree.

Offline yas‮

• The laziest one.
  • I believe in respawn.
    • Me on SoundCloud
« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2008, 07:52:35 pm »
Remember that not everyone can use p2p. It makes a lot of UDP/TCP traffic, so some admins (like me) block it to prevent router hangups.

Offline Bocom

• SiteDeveloper
  • I'm in despair!
    • Woah there!
« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2008, 08:01:19 pm »
Remember that not everyone can use p2p. It makes a lot of UDP/TCP traffic, so some admins (like me) block it to prevent router hangups.

I fail to see how that matters.

If people want mp3s, and gives a rat's ass about something other than it, then let them have their MP3s.

If people want something other than mp3, like, oh I don't know, FLACs in a torrent, then why not should they have to only get mp3s?

We don't want to remove the mp3s or make them torrent only. We only want a chance to get something better than mp3. And if it's to big for conventional methods, like hosting them locally, then P2P is probably the best choice.
(@Radicz0r) Fuck! Its friday, and you wankers are talking about PIE. Pie! What the hell?

Offline yas‮

• The laziest one.
  • I believe in respawn.
    • Me on SoundCloud
« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2008, 08:13:11 pm »
If people want something other than mp3, like, oh I don't know, FLACs in a torrent, then why not should they have to only get mp3s?

Because they can't download it using torrent. That's kinda unfair to non-p2p people, but I guess hosting sites like rapidshare or whatever could be put in use for those files too.

Offline Bocom

• SiteDeveloper
  • I'm in despair!
    • Woah there!
« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2008, 08:30:40 pm »

Because they can't download it using torrent. That's kinda unfair to non-p2p people, but I guess hosting sites like rapidshare or whatever could be put in use for those files too.

You know how big a simple FLAC file can become... don't you? Rapidshare a FLAC file, and you'll spend alot of unneeded time. :/

And also, abandoning every other format except MP3 is unfair to the people who wants the other formats, don't you think?

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Happiness is Mandatory!
    • My homepage
« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2008, 09:20:49 pm »
My opinion: I care more for FLAC than I do for Ogg.

I don't have many oggs, and I'll probably not get the rest either. I do like the idea of a free standard, though.

A more important question would be "when was the last time you listened to anything in 64kbit"?
...why Torp was picked over you... HE'S JUST BETTER THAN YOU IN EVERY RESPECT. -SomethingGood
<Radicz0r> Torp is well prepared for universal destruction

[03:18:49] <WereVolvo> ARCTIC
[03:18:51] <WereVolvo> not arctic

Offline Einkoro

• Machinae Prime
  • ~tima
    • http://www.janpingel.com/
« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2008, 09:46:13 pm »

A more important question would be "when was the last time you listened to anything in 64kbit"?

The EVE Online soundtrack extracted from the game is 54kbps Ogg Vorbis.
"Don't believe anyone when they tell you irony is just a literary convention. It's a universal constant, like the coefficient of gravity." - Alfred Bester

Lysix

« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2008, 11:12:12 pm »

thats because you're scrooge!
not everyone can play xbox 360 games, should we stop producing them because its unfair? :P