Author Topic: FLAC question..  (Read 1484 times)

Offline Drakonis

• Fighter from Ninne
  • Community Supporter
  • "I am mine own Redeemer."
FLAC question..
« on: March 10, 2008, 02:58:50 am »
I've never used FLAC before. This is a first for me. I bought NIN: Ghosts in FLAC format. I know I hear alot of people talk about it around the boards, so I figure why not snag some lossless audio files.

I was able to get "Flac Frontend" working (snagged it from source forge) and was able to rip all the FLAC files to WAV. This is all fine and dandy, but I need to get the tracks on my Zune which is going to require me to do one of two things. I need to convert these wav's into high quality MP3's or into WMA (which can be lossless, by the way) for the purpose of my mp3 player.

My question is... Does anyone of a reliable free (in some shape or form, at this point) software that can assist me in converting these audio files as I see fit? I thought windows media player and zune software BOTH had converting capabilities, but if they do I cannot find them. Seems like they can only rip from CD's at this point, and it seems like alot of wasted effort to burn all these on cd's only to rip them to the format I want. Unfortunately I may have to do that.

I suppose I could try to acquire a copy of Nero and make ISO, mount it with a copy of daemon tools and then rip from that virtual drive.. but christ, this all seems like alot of effort. I was really hoping the FLAC frontend could do more than wav, but I spose not.

I like the idea of Flac, I just wish my mp3 player supported it. Seems kinda silly to have two different lossless audio formats on my machine at this point (one for my zune, one for everything else). But if I recall, it was the only lossless format available other than ordering the actual audio cd's.

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
Re: FLAC question..
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 06:08:51 am »
dBPowerAmp
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Offline Chronologix

• SiteDeveloper
  • I am Canadian!
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 08:04:08 am »
uhhh Windows Audio Converter....

not sure where you get it...you may already, I just right click the file i want to convert and it gives me an option in the list of "Convert Audio Format" and it opens up windows audio converter and you can choose WMA lossless from that list

I used it once and made a WMA lossless from an MP3...it was funny, it turned an 11.9Mb song into a 38.3Mb song :P and was supposedly 4906kbps :/

Offline Drakonis

• Fighter from Ninne
  • Community Supporter
  • "I am mine own Redeemer."
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 03:39:13 pm »
A lossless mp3 ...   8)

Alright, thanks guys. Ill give both of them a shot and see how it goes.