Author Topic: Mind Control  (Read 3038 times)

Offline Von

• Per Ardua ad Astra
    • Through Adversity to the Skies
Mind Control
« on: February 21, 2008, 04:35:54 am »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7254078.stm

Gamers will soon be able to interact with the virtual world using their thoughts and emotions alone.

A neuro-headset which interprets the interaction of neurons in the brain will go on sale later this year.

"It picks up electrical activity from the brain and sends wireless signals to a computer," said Tan Le, president of US/Australian firm Emotiv.

"It allows the user to manipulate a game or virtual environment naturally and intuitively," she added.

This is going to send the count of fat, socially-inept nerds through the roof. It's still seriously cool though. All we need is the realistic and affordable holographic projector to go with it - and there are already holographic projectors in existence, though crude in design so far. Isn't science awesome? :-)

Offline Chronologix

• SiteDeveloper
  • I am Canadian!
Re: Mind Control
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 06:09:40 am »
virtual reality is going to make things like the matrix...we are all going to be on life support living in our own individual fantasy worlds...

You mind makes things real...so if your playing a game and your mind thinks you get shot...what then

Offline Sirix

• Self proclaimed forum Villain
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 06:20:42 am »
I JUST read about this earlier

pretty crazy huh?

this technology along with the stuff this guy does: http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~johnny/projects/wii/
is going to define the future of gaming.

Offline yas‮

• The laziest one.
  • I believe in respawn.
    • Me on SoundCloud
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 06:37:18 am »
So, playing will be equal to watching plus making decisions using your head only. That sucks. I wanna press the buttons, it gives me a better feel of having control over my character.

Offline Sirix

• Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 07:18:25 am »
So, playing will be equal to watching plus making decisions using your head only. That sucks. I wanna press the buttons, it gives me a better feel of having control over my character.

the game wouldn't necessarily have to be -only- the neuro-headset.

a combination of the wii technology, what you can do with it that Johnny Lee demonstrates in the link I provided and the neuro-headset will provide an extremely involved experience.

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 08:21:07 am »
I predict lots of people actually becoming physically exhausted while gaming.

This means lots more deaths for WoW players who don't take bathroom/food breaks.
That's the problem with heroes, really. Their only purpose in life is to thwart others. They make no plans, develop no strategies. They react instead of act. Without villains, heroes would stagnate. Without heroes, villains would be running the world. Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic.

Offline Einkoro

• Machinae Prime
  • ~tima
    • http://www.janpingel.com/
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 08:51:58 am »
http://kotaku.com/358459/pc-psychic-controller-hits-this-year

"The device will also include a web portal which will allow users to browse the internet using the power of their minds, she said."

*puts helmet on* Ok, now just don't think of goatse - FUCK!

My prediction? Yet another useless flop like the power glove. :P
"Don't believe anyone when they tell you irony is just a literary convention. It's a universal constant, like the coefficient of gravity." - Alfred Bester

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Happiness is Mandatory!
    • My homepage
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008, 10:49:44 am »
This gaming product? Yes. The technology? Not at all.

Think of the possibilities this tech has in heightening the quality of life of some people. It would be a tremendous benefit for people suffering from similar disabilities as Stephen Hawkings, allowing them to control both wheelchair and their surroundings with the mind, as well as talking though simply thinking and a voice syntheziser. The current technology for this is based upon sensors that pick up eye movement.
...why Torp was picked over you... HE'S JUST BETTER THAN YOU IN EVERY RESPECT. -SomethingGood
<Radicz0r> Torp is well prepared for universal destruction

[03:18:49] <WereVolvo> ARCTIC
[03:18:51] <WereVolvo> not arctic

Offline Sirix

• Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008, 04:37:40 pm »
This gaming product? Yes. The technology? Not at all.

Think of the possibilities this tech has in heightening the quality of life of some people. It would be a tremendous benefit for people suffering from similar disabilities as Stephen Hawkings, allowing them to control both wheelchair and their surroundings with the mind, as well as talking though simply thinking and a voice syntheziser. The current technology for this is based upon sensors that pick up eye movement.

think speed racer :)

is that the one where the quadraplegic bad guy always kicked ass in the virtual world?

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Happiness is Mandatory!
    • My homepage
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2008, 07:03:15 pm »
I've no idea. I don't even know the movie/series/game/whatever.
...why Torp was picked over you... HE'S JUST BETTER THAN YOU IN EVERY RESPECT. -SomethingGood
<Radicz0r> Torp is well prepared for universal destruction

[03:18:49] <WereVolvo> ARCTIC
[03:18:51] <WereVolvo> not arctic

Offline dezo

• ex Defence Against the Dark Arts
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2008, 08:19:10 pm »
Avalon, here I come!

Offline Deep

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2008, 08:35:10 pm »
Aww man, completely missed this thread. I'll just post what I said in my thread here then :)

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/475/1/

Neural activity generates electrical potentials that are picked up by the three electrodes that are on the forehead of the user. The actuator then separates the electrical activities into three classes of neural and electromyographic signals. These signals are then decoded and combined with each other to create unique commands based on the specific permutation of brain, eye and facial muscle activity.
Control games with your brain? Holyfuckingshit. I really want to try one of these. Apparently they're in mass production as I type, and will be hitting retailers soon.

More links:
http://www.overclock3d.net/news.php?/input_devices/ocz_prepares_neural_impulse_actuator_for_shipping_next_week/1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKd_AJUUT7Q    - the device in action, check out related videos for more..