Author Topic: So, what kind of person are you? (Myers-Briggs personality test)  (Read 19029 times)

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Happiness is Mandatory!
    • My homepage
So, what kind of person are you? (Myers-Briggs personality test)
« on: February 14, 2008, 07:38:25 pm »
Because it's fun to know, and the results quite an interesting read, I challenge you all to take this test. Answer the questions truthfully and with a bit of thought, don't rush through them.

Then go to this page to find a description of your type, and come back here and report your score result as well as how well the description fits you.

My result is ENTP (Extravert iNtuitive Thinking Perceiving).

I've taken the test a couple of times, switching around a bit on answers that depend on mood, but it's the same every time. The score value varies a bit, though, the only consistent value is the intuitive part.

Just took it again to give scores for this post:

slightly expressed extravert
distinctively expressed intuitive personality
moderately expressed thinking personality
moderately expressed perceiving personality

Extravert has varied from this one (lowest) to moderately and even to distinctively, though I feel a slightly or moderately score is probably the more correct result. The two latter scores have varied from slightly to moderately. I feel that maybe the moderatlely is the more correct score.

The ENTP description matches a lot of me very well, actualy. I do find some character traits of myself that are more normal in the types that vary from my type by only 1 letter, and where the N is present (INTP, ENFP, ENTJ), which I am not surprised that I do, but the description is definitely not a shot in the dark. Some of the non-type traits are also things I've basically taught myself to do (like taking charge and deciding on an action when a discussion about several different possible solutions devolve into a mess of disagreements), too, so those I suppose can be discounted.

A few lines that fit me particularly well, I think:
[...]
They tend to have a perverse sense of humor as well, and enjoy playing devil's advocate. They sometimes confuse, even inadvertently hurt, those who don't understand or accept the concept of argument as a sport. [I've almost been thrown out of parties for playing the Devil's Advocate too well ;D ]
[...]
known to cut corners without regard to the rules if it's expedient [what? There was no corner there! See? Oh. Well, it worked anyway, didn't it?]
[...]
Both at work and at home, ENTPs are very fond of "toys"--physical or intellectual, the more sophisticated the better. They tend to tire of these quickly, however, and move on to new ones. [Mostly on the intellectual level here]
[...]
ENTPs are basically optimists, but in spite of this (perhaps because of it?), they tend to become extremely petulant about small setbacks and inconveniences. (Major setbacks they tend to regard as challenges, and tackle with determination.) [Yep. I am mostly optimistic, as long as life is not a stream of small and irritating setbacks. Large setbacks are merely challenges]

EDIT: On a side-note, I took the same test several years ago, and ended up slightly on the side of INTP.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 07:59:35 pm by Torp v2.0 »
...why Torp was picked over you... HE'S JUST BETTER THAN YOU IN EVERY RESPECT. -SomethingGood
<Radicz0r> Torp is well prepared for universal destruction

[03:18:49] <WereVolvo> ARCTIC
[03:18:51] <WereVolvo> not arctic

Laser Turret

Re: So, what kind of person are you? (Myers-Briggs personality test)
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 07:49:07 pm »
I did one of these tests a while back and if I remember correctly I was INTJ: http://typelogic.com/intj.html
which is Introverted Intuitive Thinking Judging

But I'll take it again in a bit to see if anything's changed.

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 08:19:29 pm »
Why do they give those unique names to the results, why can't they just say "You are a dumbass"..
I don't need a test to give me some words i've never heard or heard someone say/use in their daily life, telling me what kind of person i am.. Just kidding. It sounds boring.

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
    • My homepage
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 08:34:35 pm »
Well, fuck you then, Rebel-wannabe! ;D
...why Torp was picked over you... HE'S JUST BETTER THAN YOU IN EVERY RESPECT. -SomethingGood

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 09:49:19 pm »
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Smeagol

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 09:57:13 pm »
ISFP

# moderately expressed introvert
# moderately expressed sensing personality
# slightly expressed feeling personality
# moderately expressed perceiving personality

Offline Cerapter

• 100% Recycled
    • Home
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 10:03:12 pm »
I used to get INTP and INTJ. Now, as a first, I got INFP!

* very expressed introvert
    * moderately expressed intuitive personality
    * moderately expressed feeling personality
    * slightly expressed perceiving personality

I think I like the change. I used to think myself a typical scientist, but I'm definitely not. :)

Things I recognize:

(...)
INFPs have the ability to see good in almost anyone or anything. Even for the most unlovable the INFP is wont to have pity.
(...)
Their extreme depth of feeling is often hidden, even from themselves, until circumstances evoke an impassioned response.
(...)
INFPs struggle with the issue of their own ethical perfection, e.g., performance of duty for the greater cause.
(...)
Being inward-turning, the natural attraction is away from world and toward essence and ideal. (...) Feeling is caught in the approach- avoidance bind between concern both for people and for All Creatures Great and Small, and a psycho-magnetic repulsion from the same. (...) Doing a good deed, for example, may provide intrinsic satisfaction which is only secondary to the greater good of striking a blow against Man's Inhumanity to Mankind.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 10:19:51 pm by Cerapter »
Just close your eyes and keep your mind wide open.

Offline Von

• Per Ardua ad Astra
    • Through Adversity to the Skies
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2008, 10:36:20 pm »
INTJ - eerily accurate.

To outsiders, INTJs may appear to project an aura of "definiteness", of self-confidence. This self-confidence, sometimes mistaken for simple arrogance by the less decisive, is actually of a very specific rather than a general nature
[...]
they will be able to tell you almost immediately whether or not they can help you, and if so, how. INTJs know what they know, and perhaps still more importantly, they know what they don't know
[...]
INTJs apply (often ruthlessly) the criterion "Does it work?" to everything from their own research efforts to the prevailing social norms.
[...]
Anyone considered to be "slacking," including superiors, will lose their respect -- and will generally be made aware of this; INTJs have also been known to take it upon themselves to implement critical decisions without consulting their supervisors or co-workers
[...]
In the broadest terms, what INTJs "do" tends to be what they "know".
[...]
they tend to have little patience and less understanding of such things as small talk

Offline ~futilite~

• I have the [Sticky Lizard's Socks of Coolness] :)
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2008, 10:43:53 pm »
I am
Introverted Sensing   Thinking    Judging (ISTJ)

* moderately expressed introvert
    * moderately expressed sensing personality
    * moderately expressed thinking personality
    * moderately expressed judging personality

Which points of the description fit:
"ISTJs are often called inspectors. They have a keen sense of right and wrong, especially in their area of interest and/or responsibility. They are noted for devotion to duty."

"STJs are most at home with "just the facts, Ma'am." They seem to perform at highest efficiency when employing a step-by-step approach." yep, that's me, why talk longer around if you have already had the facts :P

Laser Turret

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2008, 10:46:00 pm »
I just took it and got INTJ again. So that means I haven't changed in 2 years...

You are:

* very expressed introvert
    * slightly expressed intuitive personality
    * moderately expressed judging personality

sometimes mistaken for simple arrogance by the less decisive
[...]
When it comes to their own areas of expertise -- and INTJs can have several -- they will be able to tell you almost immediately whether or not they can help you, and if so, how. INTJs know what they know, and perhaps still more importantly, they know what they don't know.
[...]
Anyone considered to be "slacking," including superiors, will lose their respect
[...]
many also find it useful to learn to simulate some degree of surface conformism in order to mask their inherent unconventionality.
[...]
they tend to have little patience and less understanding of such things as small talk and flirtation

« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 10:54:57 pm by laser »

Lysix

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2008, 10:54:22 pm »
INFJ.

Offline WereVolvo

• IRC Love Butter supplier
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Volvot ulvoo kuun savuun!
    • My personal site
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2008, 11:08:57 pm »
uNF!

(sorry, I just had to)

I generally dislike these serious-ish personality tests with all the self-scrutinizing and trying to make a bunch of seemingly random choices fit to your own personality. Could be because it sometimes involves a rather thorough examination of one's own self, which some may find rather uncomfortable.
Nevertheless, I took the test and wound up with ISFP:

very expressed introvert
moderately expressed sensing personality
slightly expressed feeling personality
very expressed perceiving personality

I would say that I feel it doesn't fit me that well, from my own point of view (other than me being rather introverted - that is certainly a truth and a half). But I blame that on taking it in a hurry, not giving each answer the proper amount of thoughts, so the result may be somewhat half-arsed.
<@Torp> I have seen your melted pussy!

Real Dwarfs wall themselves in once they are underground, and survive through incest and cat farming.

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2008, 11:48:57 pm »
INFP.

# moderately expressed introvert
# moderately expressed intuitive personality
# slightly expressed feeling personality
# slightly expressed perceiving personality

I guess that suits me pretty well. I really only reveal those last two parts to people that are close to me. Although, given a debate atmosphere, I'm willing to share my POV.

Cerapter already listed some of the things that struck me, but there were some others.

(...)
INFPs have the ability to see good in almost anyone or anything. Even for the most unlovable the INFP is wont to have pity. (Although I'm prone to get annoyed if people come to me for help time and again and yet never really try to improve their situation.)
(...)
Their extreme depth of feeling is often hidden, even from themselves, until circumstances evoke an impassioned response. (I've had moments like this, most recently just a couple of months ago. It really surprised me, especially since that was the first time I really realized that this was inside of me...)
(...)
INFPs struggle with the issue of their own ethical perfection, e.g., performance of duty for the greater cause. An INFP friend describes the inner conflict as not good versus bad, but on a grand scale, Good vs. Evil. Luke Skywalker in Star Wars depicts this conflict in his struggle between the two sides of "The Force." Although the dark side must be reckoned with, the INFP believes that good ultimately triumphs.

[One of the other websites also mentioned getting engrossed with the concept of evil, and I do admit, I wonder sometimes what'd happen if I just let everything go and only looked out for myself. When I do something that I feel has hurt someone else, though, I really regret it (which may be where the fascination comes from.)]

Some INFPs have a gift for taking technical information and putting it into layman's terms. Brendan Kehoe's Zen and the Art of the Internet is one example of this "de-jargoning" talent in action. (Also something that surprises me sometimes... that's why people say I should be a teacher, sometimes.)
(...)
Extraverted intuition faces outward, greeting the world on behalf of Feeling. What the observer usually sees is creativity with implied good will. Intuition spawns this type's philosophical bent and strengthens pattern perception. It combines as auxiliary with introverted Feeling and gives rise to unusual skill in both character development and fluency with language--a sound basis for the development of literary facility. If INTPs aspire to word mechanics, INFPs would be verbal artists. (I guess that's why the above part was true.)

It mentioned something about putting on an "ENTJ Business Suit," which also seemed appropriate, in certain situations. Usually when nobody else can make the decisions. :P

Obviously, they compared me with a lot of writers. The best comparison, though?

Neil Diamond. O0
That's the problem with heroes, really. Their only purpose in life is to thwart others. They make no plans, develop no strategies. They react instead of act. Without villains, heroes would stagnate. Without heroes, villains would be running the world. Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic.

Offline evilcandybag

• of Fire
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Armoured Tanks of Mass Destruction
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2008, 01:41:13 am »
    ENTP

* moderately expressed extravert
    * slightly expressed intuitive personality
    * slightly expressed perceiving personality

I share personality type with these fellows:

Alexander the Great
Weird Al Yankovick
Alfred Hitchcock
Bugs Bunny
Wile E. Coyote
Garfield the cat

Fairly accurate, really. Especially this:
"ENTPs are usually verbally as well as cerebrally quick, and generally love to argue--both for its own sake, and to show off their often-impressive skills. They tend to have a perverse sense of humor as well, and enjoy playing devil's advocate. They sometimes confuse, even inadvertently hurt, those who don't understand or accept the concept of argument as a sport."
"Actually, wooden stakes are for vampires. Wooden steaks are for vegetarians."

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
    • My homepage
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2008, 01:48:22 am »
You and me would make an excellent debate team.