Author Topic: Lisence on free mp3  (Read 4715 times)

Offline Sorsis

Lisence on free mp3
« on: February 10, 2008, 04:44:23 pm »
What kind of license is carried on with freely available mp3:s? I would like to use those with one video which I'm going to use as an ad of one web page. Where can I contact people who can tell what I need to know?

Offline Lexx

• Ministry of Cynicism
  • Community Supporter
Re: Lisence on free mp3
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 05:24:57 pm »
I've asked this before but they're apparently not licensed at all. It'd be awesome if they'd release them under a free license like GNU.
DRAMA

Offline Zombie With Style

• Sleep and fade away for I've got the style!
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 10:52:12 pm »
none, if its a non profit thing, the band wont care. If this is something that involves money you'd probably have to e mail the band, but I'm sure they wont mind.

Offline dezo

• ex Defence Against the Dark Arts
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 11:08:01 pm »
For non profit things we demand linkage (http://www.machinaesupremacy.com) and credits.
If you want to do ads or something else that will lead to future profit, you can send a mail to contact//at//machinaesupremacy.com and describe your project and surely we'll come up with a profitable solution for both parties involved.

Offline Lexx

• Ministry of Cynicism
  • Community Supporter
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2008, 11:53:30 pm »
That's cool. Unfortunately it has to be declared under a specific license for some free applications, like Wikipedia.
DRAMA

the ru

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 10:30:35 am »
I've asked this before but they're apparently not licensed at all. It'd be awesome if they'd release them under a free license like GNU.

GNU is not a license (it's an operating system). I assume you mean the GPL, which is intended for open-source software. I doubt it would work very well for music.

Offline Lexx

• Ministry of Cynicism
  • Community Supporter
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 06:28:57 pm »
I don't know.
DRAMA

Offline robert

• Baka
  • Band Member
  • \,,/_(o-O)_,,i,.
    • Machinae Supremacy
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 08:42:10 am »
We've been approached by various "lobbyists" for for different licenses (i.e. CC, etc), and to me it seems like if we use a license we have no control over what happens with our stuff.

We WANT to be able to discriminate against nazis, for instance, to name an extreme example. We want to be able to give different answers to different people when they ask what they are allowed to do with our stuff. And also, to have people contact us and TELL us what they do with our stuff is a perk we enjoy.

It's my job to keep SID elite.

---

<WereVolvo> you can't brain today, you have the dumb?

Offline Bocom

• SiteDeveloper
  • I'm in despair!
    • Woah there!
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 07:37:01 pm »
We've been approached by various "lobbyists" for for different licenses (i.e. CC, etc), and to me it seems like if we use a license we have no control over what happens with our stuff.

We WANT to be able to discriminate against nazis, for instance, to name an extreme example. We want to be able to give different answers to different people when they ask what they are allowed to do with our stuff. And also, to have people contact us and TELL us what they do with our stuff is a perk we enjoy.

I agree with you, even though I license almost everything (note: almost) I make into "better" licenses, like CC and GPL and such, because I think that Copyright is too tight for my projects and media (game music and games), but of course, for a band like you, changing a license now wouldn't be that great.
This quote is out of context:
<Bocom> I'm also going to see Quantum of Solace later
<Syndicated> Bocom: it is fucking scary
(@Radicz0r) Fuck! Its friday, and you wankers are talking about PIE. Pie! What the hell?