Author Topic: How are you feeling today?  (Read 417681 times)

Offline Erica

• Metal skunk girl
Re: How are you feeling today?
« Reply #1500 on: July 21, 2008, 09:42:42 pm »
Love is the best and the worst thing you can experience in life
The first girl ever been in the "rapelokal"

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Happiness is Mandatory!
    • My homepage
« Reply #1501 on: July 21, 2008, 11:29:28 pm »

Enjoy it while it lasts.

Rehevkor,
Cynic.

and last, it shall. [:

+ decided to purchase a digital SLR camera. now to find a decent affordable  one!

I've recently aquired a Nikon D40. It's both decent and affordable. Fits better into my hand than Canons compact SLRs, and 6MP is really more than enough for any non-professional need. It does like to overexpose at default settings, but this you can compensate for.

+ ~£300 (that's what I got it for, not including the "idiot insurance", memory card and lens protecting thingy.
+ Good to hold, compared to Canons D350, etc, if you don't have small hands.
+ Really quite good enough.
- From personal experience and info from a professional who likes to use it, tends to overexpose.
- Can't use the autofocus of lenses that don't have autofocus motor built-in.

Remember, the difference between 6 and 12 MP isn't twice the size, merely about 40%

If you end up picking the D40, check out this setup guide. And while your at it, check out his guides in general.
...why Torp was picked over you... HE'S JUST BETTER THAN YOU IN EVERY RESPECT. -SomethingGood
<Radicz0r> Torp is well prepared for universal destruction

[03:18:49] <WereVolvo> ARCTIC
[03:18:51] <WereVolvo> not arctic

Offline Kernel

« Reply #1502 on: July 21, 2008, 11:38:14 pm »

Enjoy it while it lasts.

Rehevkor,
Cynic.

and last, it shall. [:

+ decided to purchase a digital SLR camera. now to find a decent affordable  one!

I just got a used Olympus E-500 and I like it. Cost me about 300€ (used!). It's got 8 Megapixels, (only) three AF measuring points, and 49 exposure metering spots. The lens that came with it could be better, but overall it's quite okay. Saving money for a better lens now ;)
I like the bracket modes and the "rapid fire" mode, but I think all halfway decent DSLRs have that.
When I got it, I also looked at the Canon EOS 350D. But everyone and their mother have that one, so I wanted something different. The E-500 is also said to be "ergonomically" easier on your hands (size, form, button placement) than the EOS 350D.
I'm happy with my choice...

- It always starts to rain when I want to go outside and take photos.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 11:41:17 pm by Kernel »

Offline gaijin

• Hiding behind the couch
  • Community Supporter
  • "You sound like the Morning Star"
    • Motljus
« Reply #1503 on: July 22, 2008, 12:03:44 am »
+ Torp's got a DSLR!
- Everyone keeps talking about the 350D like it's a good industry standard to compare with. It sucks ass both in construction and in noise @ higher iso levels. Otherwise fairly okay. Waaay too small for any decently sized hand, though.

- I'm tired, and need to sleep

+ I get to sleep!
Oi, is this when I get a huge sig-image, start whining about "moar sid" and make nonsensical arguments to no good?

Lysix

« Reply #1504 on: July 22, 2008, 12:13:58 am »

Didn't you say that before?

so i'm not allowed to say things that i may not mean?
i love her, and i know i'll be with her for an incredibly long time to come. for that, i am certain. dont need some crazy bunch of weirdos (i love you all, really) to tell me otherwise!
gajajajajain, come to england and help me buy a decent camera. D:

Offline gaijin

• Community Supporter
    • Motljus
« Reply #1505 on: July 22, 2008, 12:17:22 am »

Didn't you say that before?

so i'm not allowed to say things that i may not mean?
i love her, and i know i'll be with her for an incredibly long time to come. for that, i am certain. dont need some crazy bunch of weirdos (i love you all, really) to tell me otherwise!
gajajajajain, come to england and help me buy a decent camera. D:

Help as in advice on what to get, or as in pay for it? ;D I can do both from here, although one is more likely than the other ;)
Oi, is this when I get a huge sig-image, start whining about "moar sid" and make nonsensical arguments to no good?

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Happiness is Mandatory!
    • My homepage
« Reply #1506 on: July 22, 2008, 12:17:42 am »
Everyone keeps talking about megapixels. Only most people talk about the 350D.

Also, everyone keeps talking about better cameras and lenses as if it's really that important. To paraphrase many masters in many arts, it's not the tools but the user. Beyond a certain treshold, better tools simply add convenience (like a zoom lens convenience of not having to stand five feet away from the hungry pack of lions ;D ).
...why Torp was picked over you... HE'S JUST BETTER THAN YOU IN EVERY RESPECT. -SomethingGood
<Radicz0r> Torp is well prepared for universal destruction

[03:18:49] <WereVolvo> ARCTIC
[03:18:51] <WereVolvo> not arctic

Offline WereVolvo

• IRC Love Butter supplier
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Volvot ulvoo kuun savuun!
    • My personal site
« Reply #1507 on: July 22, 2008, 12:19:11 am »
+ friend arrived, will be staying until friday
+ going to shop hueg amounts of good food, snacks and alcohol in Sweden tomorrow
+ glass of lovely whisky
+ team fortress 2
<@Torp> I have seen your melted pussy!

Real Dwarfs wall themselves in once they are underground, and survive through incest and cat farming.

Lysix

« Reply #1508 on: July 22, 2008, 12:22:02 am »
Help as in advice on what to get, or as in pay for it? ;D I can do both from here, although one is more likely than the other ;)

well, ultimately i'd love you to do both. [:

- working tomorrow.
+ friday, saturday and sunday off for funtimes!
+ life is just..good right now.

tal, let me know when you're on TF2 next so i can medic yo ass or something?

Offline gaijin

• Community Supporter
    • Motljus
« Reply #1509 on: July 22, 2008, 12:39:16 am »
Torp: Agreed. Megapixels are mostly a selling-tool for the salespeople, and basically a lot o' meggurpixxuls only makes a differance if you are gonna print really really big things. And agreed about the rest as well. If you don't have the skill - no camera in the world is gonna save you. Although I really prefer my new camera to my old one on the count of the fact that I CAN FIT MY HAND AROUND IT WITHOUT IT FEELING LIKE A TOY! ;D

Tal: YOU GO GI..B..THING!

Meme: Medic me sometime too, willya. ;P Also tf2:ing these days. And if you want advice on gear, of course i'll help.

Lysix

« Reply #1510 on: July 22, 2008, 12:46:19 am »
thank you for the offer, i shall take it up!
and medics for all. it's the only class i enjoy playing. that, and a spy. not so much fun when pyros are constantly spy checking their bases though..
sorry, offtopic.
CONTINUE.

Offline Kernel

« Reply #1511 on: July 22, 2008, 01:47:59 am »
+ Torp's got a DSLR!
- Everyone keeps talking about the 350D like it's a good industry standard to compare with. It sucks ass both in construction and in noise @ higher iso levels. Otherwise fairly okay. Waaay too small for any decently sized hand, though.

Well, I looked at it mainly because it's just the most commonly used entry level DSLR*. There must be some reason why it's so common. Like I said, everyone has one, so why not compare stuff to it?
Most Pros use either Canon or Nikon, so they'll recommend that to you cause when you upgrade, you can keep the lenses. At least the better ones you might have bought by the time.
Oh, and just fyi, the E-500 I have sucks even more at "high" ISO, but has warmer colors at "normal" settings (compared to the 350D, again). I think to get good pictures at a higher ISO setting, you have to get a more expensive camera. I'm gonna experiment with what I have. As said before, don't count the megapixlz0rs, and most important, it's the photographer who makes the pictures, not the camera. Once you got a DSLR, you take many many more crappy pictures, cause there's so many more mistakes to be made. On the other hand, there's so much more to learn. I love to learn new stuff..

- didn't get any work done today.
+ another nice evening ;)

* Looking at the flickr stats, the 400D seems to be more common now. It's got more megapixels!

Offline Irrationalist

« Reply #1512 on: July 22, 2008, 02:06:10 am »
Love is the best and the worst thing you can experience in life

This is so true its ridiculous.

+ A's in both of my summer college courses sleeping thru them! YAY HYPNOPAEDIA : DDDDD that was an easy 7 credits.

+ My data entry priveleges got temp stolen by another dept on campus making me 20 dollars for browsin the net. : D

Offline Von

• Per Ardua ad Astra
    • Through Adversity to the Skies
« Reply #1513 on: July 22, 2008, 02:13:52 am »
Welcome to the DSLR club, my friend. The art becomes a most compelling addiction if you let it - and there is no reason not to!

12MP means that you get to see the natural impurities in your subject even clearer as well. Plus, it starts to not fit on your monitor(s). ;-)

Get a macro lens though. I'm obsessed with macro-photography. It's a whole other world, you'll love it.

Offline Gravehill

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Dignity! Strength! Love!
« Reply #1514 on: July 22, 2008, 02:33:38 am »
- Work work work for two more nights
+ Soon after that ROCKCOCK! I feel ecstatic already!
+ Paid some bills and good heavens there was money left in bank accounts after that!
+ I feel really good and healthy now
Random ramblings and furious feminine novels per versatility.