Author Topic: Anyone watch Cloverfield?  (Read 10346 times)

Offline Skorpinox

Anyone watch Cloverfield?
« on: January 31, 2008, 11:16:22 pm »
I thought it was a really good movie, but a lot of people hated it.

It was insanely intense.

Also, Rambo sucked.

Lysix

Re: Anyone watch Cloverfield?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 11:22:49 pm »
i really wanna see it, it looks awesome.
also, rambo sucked? he always has!

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 11:55:31 pm »
I was unhappy with the movie. I like... y'know... explanations (and yes, I do know why the monster was awoken). I shouldn't have to watch through fifty million times just to catch the random little details that the director went to such great lengths to hide.
That's the problem with heroes, really. Their only purpose in life is to thwart others. They make no plans, develop no strategies. They react instead of act. Without villains, heroes would stagnate. Without heroes, villains would be running the world. Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic.

Lysix

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 12:08:40 am »
thats the reason why he hides them. it gives you something to think about, to question. ie, a good film :P

Offline Skorpinox

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 12:23:06 am »
wut

hidden stuff?

I didn't notice any >>

And I don't know where the monster comes from or why it's there but it's not a big deal to me.

Offline Laser.T

• 日本人ですか?
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 12:41:19 am »
hidden stuff?

I didn't notice any >>

Sorry, but I lol'd

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 01:49:34 am »
also, rambo sucked? he always has!
did you ever see first blood

apparently not
thats the reason why he hides them. it gives you something to think about, to question. ie, a good film
I am of the opinion that little "gotchas" like the shit JJ pulls are just that, and not anything to think about or question. I mean, seriously: (spoiler or something) that crap at the end with the satellite falling? that's retarded. it's not an explanation, it's marketing. also, saying "everything was explained in the viral sites" doesn't count, for what I hope are obvious reasons.*

best camera commercial I ever saw though.

*apparently this actually renders in iexplore. whatever.
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2008, 06:12:56 am »
thats the reason why he hides them. it gives you something to think about, to question. ie, a good film :P

Example of a good film with questioning integrated into it: American Psycho. At the end, Christian Bale is off the hook, and the viewer doesn't know why. But the director gives possibilities. Maybe everything was paid off. Maybe it was all in his head. Who knows, but there's at least a little guidance, and it's really provocative.

Example of a bad film with questioning integrated into it: Cloverfield, where nothing is explained directly. The only reason I know the answers I do is because my girlfriend loved the movie and spends time on the imdb.com message boards. Granted, some of the stuff that was hinted at in the movie was cool and creative, but there was just way too much of it to be of value (you're sitting there wondering about one thing so much that you miss all the other little crap for the next ten minutes). There's a difference between adding lots of detail to a movie to give it added value and just throwing in a million "gotchas," as Magicman said. It should also be of note that I didn't even see the satellite, I had to have that pointed out to me after the film was over.
That's the problem with heroes, really. Their only purpose in life is to thwart others. They make no plans, develop no strategies. They react instead of act. Without villains, heroes would stagnate. Without heroes, villains would be running the world. Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic.

Offline Sirix

• Self proclaimed forum Villain
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2008, 07:04:40 am »
Harvey, the reason I find the movie was so great is BECAUSE we didn't know anything...

why is there always all of this dramatic irony going on in everything we watch and read?  It was an extremely brave choice by the creators to say "hey, let's not let the viewers know anymore than the actual characters..."

the movie, I found, was about trying to make us feel how intense and shit scary it would be if some sort of calamity like this would happen... and I think it did a very good job.
I felt very tense for the entire film.

something else I liked: in most horror films (I realize this film wasn't necessarily a horror, but I continue regardless) they get you all tensed up and then jump out of the closet and say BOO.  Usually not a terribly exciting "boo" at that.

Cloverfield on the other hand was about an hour and a half of NOT jumping out of the closet.
we NEVER understood what happened, and so that tense, scared feeling that horror movies manage before ruining it by revealing everything stays fresh and true the entire movie.

for example: Jeepers Creepers.  Awful movies, right?  BUT! They are fantastic UNTIL the creeper actually reveals itself.  Up until you actually know what is happening (IE: The creeper is freaking harvesting people) the movie is scary as heck... but not at all once you see that blasted monster in its full glory(lack thereof).

So yeah, what i'm really trying to say is: I enjoyed the freaking movie.

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2008, 07:59:42 am »
Harvey, the reason I find the movie was so great is BECAUSE we didn't know anything...

why is there always all of this dramatic irony going on in everything we watch and read?  It was an extremely brave choice by the creators to say "hey, let's not let the viewers know anymore than the actual characters..."

the movie, I found, was about trying to make us feel how intense and shit scary it would be if some sort of calamity like this would happen... and I think it did a very good job.
I felt very tense for the entire film.

something else I liked: in most horror films (I realize this film wasn't necessarily a horror, but I continue regardless) they get you all tensed up and then jump out of the closet and say BOO.  Usually not a terribly exciting "boo" at that.

Cloverfield on the other hand was about an hour and a half of NOT jumping out of the closet.
we NEVER understood what happened, and so that tense, scared feeling that horror movies manage before ruining it by revealing everything stays fresh and true the entire movie.

for example: Jeepers Creepers.  Awful movies, right?  BUT! They are fantastic UNTIL the creeper actually reveals itself.  Up until you actually know what is happening (IE: The creeper is freaking harvesting people) the movie is scary as heck... but not at all once you see that blasted monster in its full glory(lack thereof).

So yeah, what i'm really trying to say is: I enjoyed the freaking movie.

I understand that Abrams was going for the whole "what if YOU were holding the camera?!?!" thing. That's precisely why there's so little information. But I didn't find the characters likable at all (which kept me from caring for them whatsoever, caring whether they died or not, and putting myself in their place and saying "what if these were my friends?"), and I didn't find any of it scary. I agree, a lot of scary movies lately have been crappy jump-yougoboo movies, and those suck. But there's plenty of ways to be kept in suspense and have a thrill/scare without being kept completely in the dark.

Maybe it's just me. I honestly think dying in a monster attack would be cool, because everything's fucked, anyways. I'm much more scared by things that (at least slightly) seem like they could happen in real life. People really are fucked up, and they really do fucked up things. Maybe I just don't panic like everyone else? Either way, I felt like it was mostly a waste of money...  like all Abrams was trying to do was combine a giant monster movie with the added "twist" of parasites and crap.

*Also: I was under the impression they'd never show the monster, but by the end they'd shown it about twenty times and it lost any effect it might've had on me.

Lysix

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2008, 01:47:17 pm »
did you ever see first blood

apparently not

it's common knowledge that anything starring stallone in it is a film worth avoiding. surely you knew? :P
obviously i haven't seen cloverfield yet, so its time for my departure from this thread! EJECT!

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2008, 03:23:34 pm »
it's common knowledge that anything starring stallone in it is a film worth avoiding. surely you knew?
right, so you haven't.

that's our lysander.
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Lysix

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2008, 03:39:51 pm »
right, so you haven't.

that's our lysander.

it's common knowledge that anything starring stallone in it is a film worth avoiding. surely you knew? :P

i cant stand sylvester stallone. why on earth would i want to watch any more of his films? xD
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 04:04:35 pm by Lysander »

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2008, 04:07:28 pm »
right, so you haven't.

that's our lysander.

i cant stand sylvester stallone. why on earth would i want to watch any more of his films? xD

First Blood was the very first movie he was in. He wasn't tainted by action star-ness at that time.

Offline Sirix

• Self proclaimed forum Villain
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2008, 05:57:11 pm »
So I heard a lot of people got motion sickness during this movie.

INCOMPETENT FOWL!