Author Topic: Your computer equipment?  (Read 4988 times)

Offline Leissi

• wat
Your computer equipment?
« on: January 23, 2008, 11:15:16 pm »
Yes, I suppose this belongs here, and not in gaming section :P

I didn't find another thread like this browsing through the (whoopee) five pages of tech. section.
I'm curious about your computer equipment, printers, monitor, fingerprint sensors... everything! I want to know the "average" setup of an "average" person, aight? :)

Mine is about the following:
CPU - Intel C2D E6750, not overclocked, I'm not gonna step there, I'll break it  ;D

Mobo: Asus P5K and all the integrated chip-chaps

HD: Some random Seagate 160GB drive that remains from the previous setup, haven't had time to get new HDs yet, although I need 'em

RAM: 2x1GB A-Data DDR2 800MHz

Video Card: Now this is where I ran out of patience, unfortunately, it would have meant a third trip to town, and it would have cost me like 10e on gasoline, the prices being what they are  :-\... so, it's a Leadtek PX8500 GT 256MB in any case.. Could have had an MSI 512MB version with passive cooling the next day, but due to my short temper I'm stuck with this, and thus far I approve of this.

Monitor: A Scaleoview C19-11, model L9ZA. Never identifies as such though, only as a generic PNP Display. If you didn't understand, it's a 19" TFT monitor.

PSU: An LC-Power Silent Giant 550w power supply.

Keyboard+Mouse: Logitech, both of them, cordless also. EX110 and unid'd, respectively. They work nicely :)

Case: A very, very basic ATX case that cost me 23.95e D: 4x 5.25" and 1x3.5" slots, frontal mic and audio slots, with two frontal USB-ports. Oh, and it has a reset-button, which my previous case didn't.

Ethernet slot: Integrated with the motherboard.

Disc drive: An LG GSA-H12N, it works after my previous drive went poof and didn't want to work with DVDs anymore, never knew what happened.

DSL Modem: a Zyxel P660R-D1, a very compact, 1-slot modem.

Printer/Scanner: HP PSC 1410. Another device I haven't used for ages, but I have it, and it works even whoopsie doodle.

Speakers: Vivanco 2.1 speaker system, don't know the wattage, but it's HELL of a lot better than the speakers on my monitor  ;D

Gamepad: Yet another logitech product, a Logitech Dual Action pad, which, yet again, serves faithfully through the hardest smashings of buttons during a feverish game of mortal kombat or NHL.

No fingerprint scanners here, too bad :(

Alcohol: A few bottles are lying over there, next to the case. Basic 4.7 vol-% lager. Also, a bottle of the excellent Black Rat dry apple cider seems to be there. You never know when you gotta gear up, eh? ;)

aaaand that's about it, I'll update this if/when I get new equipment

cheerio, toodle pip and so on.

-- Leissi
Person you = new Person();
if(you.AreHappy && you.KnowIt){
    you.ClapHands();
}

Offline Lexx

• Ministry of Cynicism
  • Community Supporter
Re: Your computer equipment?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 02:21:13 am »
A hamster wheel in a box. *unzips* THUD
DRAMA

Offline Einkoro

• Machinae Prime
  • ~tima
    • http://www.janpingel.com/
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 03:42:47 am »
Reiya (Macbook Pro):
Mac OS X 10.4.x

Intel C2D Merom 2.2Ghz
nVidia GeForce 8600GT M 128Mb
2Gb DDR2-667
Intel Santa Rosa chipset
Fujitsu 120GB 5400RPM SATA

Matsuri (Gaming Box):
Windows XP Professional SP2

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
Galaxy GeForce 8800 GT 512
OCZ EL PC-3200 Platinum 1Gb (2x512Mb) CL2-3-2-5
ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe
Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 SATA 8MB 120GB
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 SATA2 16MB NCQ 320GB
Creative Audigy 2
US Robotics 5610B 56k V.92 Performance Pro
Pioneer DVR-111D
Lite-On LTR-52327S
Seasonic S12-500HT 500W
Lian Li PC-V1100B Plus

Shared Input/Output:
Gateway FPD2185W 21" LCD
Logitech Z-680 5.1 500W THX
Logitech G5v2
Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000

Other stuffs:
Belkin F6C1500-TW-RK UPS
Maxtor OneTouch II 300Gb 8MB 7200RPM External Hard Drive
Griffin Elevator Stand
fUnc sUrface 1030 mouse pad
Hermanmiller Aeron

Picked up 4Gb (4x1Gb) OCZ DDR800 Gold XTC for $34 CAD after rebates + sale and planning to pick up a C2D E8400 Wolfdale and a Gigabyte P35 for Matsuri once the prices drop down to Intel's MSRP for the Wolfdales. Whenever Samsung's 160Gb SSD for $199 USD becomes more than a paper launch I'll pick one up for Reiya and maybe even one for Matsuri.
"Don't believe anyone when they tell you irony is just a literary convention. It's a universal constant, like the coefficient of gravity." - Alfred Bester

Offline Leissi

• wat
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 04:36:16 am »
    you.ClapHands();
}

Offline Einkoro

• Machinae Prime
  • ~tima
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 06:29:44 am »
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 06:33:15 am by Einkoro »
"Don't believe anyone when they tell you irony is just a literary convention. It's a universal constant, like the coefficient of gravity." - Alfred Bester

Lysix

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 01:54:39 pm »
my computers not that godly, but it does the job!

AMD Dual Core 2.2ghz. 64bit

2GB RAM (fuck that 4gb bullshit, its useless)

NVIDIA Geforce 8800 GTS 320mb

320GB Seagate Harddrive with a 160gb hitachi deskstar alongside. the former storing my files, the latter containing;
Windows Vista Home Premium (primary) and Windows XP for a backup.

20" Samsung flatscreen at 1280x1024 resolution

Shitty speakers, but they work
Shitty keyboard, but it has letters to hit, so it works
Shitty mouse, but it points and clicks so it works. no point wasting £50 on a stupid mouse.

the computer cost me £700. monitor and speakers totaled up to £170.
thats all you need to know. [:

Offline Kernel

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 05:07:13 pm »
Oh come on, not another one of those what computer do you have threads...

Normally I'd still use my old rig, but something went fubar and I didn't have the patience to find the broken piece, so I got a new one. Cost me about 200 bucks, since I'm using my old case, power supply, and all that...
I now have an Athlon64X2 (Dual Core) 4200+ (and somewhere in the name it has EE, which means it has a lower power consumption than a normal 64X2, and a dynamic clock rate from 1 to 2.2 GHz (dunno, maybe the others have that, too(?))), 2 GB of RAM.
A WD hard disk with 320 GB. I wanted to keep my Samsung, but, well... we wanted to set up a computer that only had an IDE controller and needed a hard disk. Quick. So we went and bought some cheap USB hard disk hoping it had a normal IDE drive inside. Turned out it was SATA, and so I got the SATA one and the other computer has my good old Samsung Spinpoint in it...
I also wanted to keep my graphics card (Radeon-whatever), but my new mainboard didn't have an AGP connector, so I had to get a new one. It's a Radeon HD 2400. I don't know how much memory it has, and I noticed it's not the fastest one, but since I rarely play any PC games, it's okay for me. If I only got the TV out to work with Linux...
I put my good old Terratec soundcard inside, but the Kubuntu hardware detection swaps the devices of the on-board soundcard and the PCI one randomly, so I think of either removing the PCI soundcard or switching off the on-board one.
This whole thing is running Kubuntu Linux (7.10), and I've been a KDE user for about 5 years now... although I'm not that happy with the way KDE4 turned out... well, let's see what the future brings for KDE...

Oh, peripherals...
One widescreen 22" monitor I got for christmas, the more expensive one from Fujitsu Siemens, one 19" cheap-as-crap no-name monitor I had to get from my own money (about a year before I got the new one). A 2.1 speaker set... I don't like the way it sounds, but I got used to it. A Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000 keyboard. This thing is BIG and once you get used to it, it's really cool. And together with my Logitech TrackMan Marble Wheel, it's a good access control - most people are not used to split keyboards and trackballs, so they have a really hard time trying to use my computer ;)

Offline WereVolvo

• IRC Love Butter supplier
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Volvot ulvoo kuun savuun!
    • My personal site
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 05:26:41 pm »
CPU: AMD X2 4200+ 2.2GHz
GPU: XFX GeForce 7900GT 470m 256Mb GDDR3 Lite
RAM: Corsair Value S. PC4200 DDR2 2048MB
HDD: 250Gb WD Caviar 7200RPM harddrive
Sound: Creative SB X-Fi XtremeMusic sound card, Creative 5.1 speaker set (can't remember the type)
Motherboard: MSI K9N NEO-F, nForce 550, Socket-AM2
Monitor: BenQ FP91G+ 19"
Keyboard: some standard Logitech stuff
Mouse: Logitech MX518 w/QcK Steelpad rubber mat
and a couple of external HDDs (1x160GB, 1x250GB)

A little over a year old, still keeps up with most newest games without any trouble. (haven't tested it with Crysis yet tho :P)

Gonna add a second monitor and more HDDs when my financial situation allows for it.
<@Torp> I have seen your melted pussy!

Real Dwarfs wall themselves in once they are underground, and survive through incest and cat farming.

Offline Leissi

• wat
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 05:54:57 pm »
what, no hamster-powered vibrators, beer or any alcoholic beverage or random boxes filled with random stuff that you might want to share? :(

I'm disappointed, you're way too clean.
    you.ClapHands();
}

Offline Kråhffäh

• I listened to MaSu when they were undergrounderer.
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2008, 06:19:50 pm »
My computer sucks ass.
Quote from: Dezo
m8, teh win... you has it!!  ;D

Offline yas‮

• The laziest one.
  • I believe in respawn.
    • Me on SoundCloud
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2008, 06:57:08 pm »
AMD Athlon XP 2600+
1 GB DDR Kingston RAM @ 333 mhz
MSI K7N2 DELTA-L mobo
GeForce FX 5200 GFX "card" (it's shit)
Seagate 120 GB HDD
Samsung 250 GB HDD
350 W noname power supply

It's definitely enough for me, as I don't play games on the PC.
I'm planning to buy a brand new laptop anyway.

Offline Leissi

• wat
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2008, 01:21:14 am »
I didn't really so much aim this thread towards your computer equipment, but more towards what you have *around* your computer :P I got tyrkisk peber pepper candies \o/
    you.ClapHands();
}

Offline evilcandybag

• of Fire
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Armoured Tanks of Mass Destruction
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2008, 03:21:08 am »
The things I have lying around my computer are:
Left of screen: Screws for my PC, some electrical components, a newspaper cut out of a Bizarro strip, a burnt copy of Iron Maiden's Brave New World and half a bottle of SunSilk Care & Repair shampoo.
Right of screen: My glasses, a timetable for the local trains, my digital camera, a pair of sweet Ray Ban shades, papers from my bank, a torn envelope, some games (including my complete collection of WoW Collector's Edition), a beer glass (empty) a roll of tape, four pens, an eraser, two pairs of headphones, a bottle of water and some assorted cables.
Under my keyboard: My work schedule (outdated), some bills (paid) and a paper with instructions for an essay in sociolinguistics due this tuesday (done).
Under my desk: An old issue of Herman Hedning (Swedish comic book) and dust.
"Actually, wooden stakes are for vampires. Wooden steaks are for vegetarians."

Offline Einkoro

• Machinae Prime
  • ~tima
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2008, 06:05:29 am »
I didn't really so much aim this thread towards your computer equipment, but more towards what you have *around* your computer :P

A box of tissues.

>>

<<

Offline Moheeheeko

• Stick 'em with the pointy end.
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2008, 09:46:03 am »
amd am2 6400+ 64 bit 3.2ghz
4 gigs of ddr800
Radeon hd 3870 512mb
600 watt power supply
some random 120 gig hdd

when i turn it on it kicks me in the testcles points and says "KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!!!"
...speaking of which..i need to invest in a cup...

"Jesus Christ, or so I have been led to believe from the revelations he has apparently made on this forum, fucks kittens. Or possibly cats."-Fiindil