Author Topic: Audiosurf: Ride Your Music  (Read 39296 times)

Offline SomethingApt

• Machinae Prime
  • [this space for rent]
Audiosurf: Ride Your Music
« on: January 19, 2008, 07:54:23 pm »
I registered for the beta of Audiosurf the other day, and was e-mailed a download for it today. Quoted from the website:

"Audiosurf allows you to experience the intensity and emotion of your songs in real time, in full color, and in 3D. Songs that give you an adrenaline rush are converted into wild roller coaster rides full of color and motion. Songs that calm you down appear as cool colors against a relaxing sky. Audiosurf enhances the experience of your music collection by synchronizing its environment to the events in your songs--the beats, the intense sections, the long pauses followed by a burst of sound, all take on a more vivid meaning.

In Audiosurf, you race down a futuristic and colorful highway. The highway, the traffic patterns, and the scenery are all synchronized to the music you have chosen from your own collection. You earn points for clustering together cars of the same color on the highway, and can compete with others on the internet for the high score on your favorite songs. Audiosurf builds a highway for any music CD, MP3, iTunes M4A, WMA, or OGG song you choose, so the experience that you have is totally up to you.

Inside every song you own there's an immersive experience waiting to come to life through Audiosurf---ride your music."

Played it a bit today, and it's DAMN fun!! You can just wack any of your own songs into it and it generates a level for you to play. It comes out in February, so keep an eye out for it!

EDIT: Uploaded a vid of the game, playing Origin by none other than Machinae... Crappy sound quality, but you get the point...

youtubeness
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 08:12:33 pm by SomethingApt »

Offline Laser.T

• 日本人ですか?
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
Re: Audiosurf: Ride Your Music
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 11:48:23 pm »
That looks really cool. In fact, I signed up to the mailing list before I watched your video and it looks very good. I especially like how the track white'd out when the song went silent at 3:45.

How much space did it take up on your PC?

Offline Bocom

• SiteDeveloper
  • I'm in despair!
    • Woah there!
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 03:15:00 am »
THIS GAME FUCKING OWNS!
This quote is out of context:
<Bocom> I'm also going to see Quantum of Solace later
<Syndicated> Bocom: it is fucking scary
(@Radicz0r) Fuck! Its friday, and you wankers are talking about PIE. Pie! What the hell?

Offline SomethingApt

• Machinae Prime
  • [this space for rent]
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 07:07:07 am »
That looks really cool. In fact, I signed up to the mailing list before I watched your video and it looks very good. I especially like how the track white'd out when the song went silent at 3:45.

The installer was about 65 megs big, can't remember how big the actually directory was though.

I'm seriously addicted, going to be pretty pissed off when the beta ends. fortunately the final thing is out in feb.

It's amazing the way the track reacts to different songs. Ilyena by The Mars Volta is fucking fun because it constantly slows down and speeds up. Pounding by Doves makes the entire track wobble up and down most of the way through... And when i was playing Catalyst by Oceansize the track corkscrewed about halfway through the song, really wasnt expecting that!

Offline Aeon

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 10:37:58 am »
I usually "experience the intensity and emotion of my songs" in real time by falling semi-conscious and having those funny dreams about what I'm currently listening to, but that way looks like fun, too. Wonder how it'd work with speedcore... and if it's too late to sign for the beta event... I've entered my email address but received no reply so far.
No more WoW references. WoW is evil.

Offline Laser.T

• 日本人ですか?
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 11:47:01 am »

The installer was about 65 megs big, can't remember how big the actually directory was though.

I'm seriously addicted, going to be pretty pissed off when the beta ends. fortunately the final thing is out in feb.

It's amazing the way the track reacts to different songs. Ilyena by The Mars Volta is fucking fun because it constantly slows down and speeds up. Pounding by Doves makes the entire track wobble up and down most of the way through... And when i was playing Catalyst by Oceansize the track corkscrewed about halfway through the song, really wasnt expecting that!

I was watching videos on Youtube last night (after yours). DragonForce - Through the Fire and Flames and Muse - Knights of Cydonia were amazing and Franz Ferdinand - Take Me Out had that fantastic wobble too.

I really really want it. It looked SO COOL

@Aeon: I entered my email too, but I think we were too late. Not long to wait I guess, doing a lot of waiting atm...

EDIT: Just watched one of Blur - Song 2 too. Very cool.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 11:50:39 am by laser »

Offline Bocom

• SiteDeveloper
  • I'm in despair!
    • Woah there!
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 01:31:15 pm »
You know, I got a torrent of it, installed and registered. It's free, so just search for it on The Pirate Bay. ^_^

This is what the game industry needs: Fun, simple, addicting and simply AWESOME games! :D
(@Radicz0r) Fuck! Its friday, and you wankers are talking about PIE. Pie! What the hell?

Offline cherko

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2008, 11:43:48 pm »
Looks awesome, I'll register for download right now. Can't wait to try DragonForce on this. And some psychedelic rock. And Overworld.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 11:46:07 pm by cherko »

Offline Laser.T

• 日本人ですか?
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2008, 11:50:37 pm »
I got it (torrent) and yes it is Awesome. And completely Addictive! You keep thinking, "Oooh, I'll try this song next. And then this one." and you never come off the thing.

The Great Giana Sisters is amazing.

Offline Bocom

• SiteDeveloper
  • I'm in despair!
    • Woah there!
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2008, 12:05:01 am »
I got it (torrent) and yes it is Awesome. And completely Addictive! You keep thinking, "Oooh, I'll try this song next. And then this one." and you never come off the thing.

The Great Giana Sisters is amazing.

I agree!

Ooooh, I gotta try GGS now! :D

Offline WereVolvo

• IRC Love Butter supplier
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Volvot ulvoo kuun savuun!
    • My personal site
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2008, 12:11:48 am »
Tried downloading it, didn't work. Apparently the beta testing weekend has ended :P
<@Torp> I have seen your melted pussy!

Real Dwarfs wall themselves in once they are underground, and survive through incest and cat farming.

Lysix

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2008, 12:17:09 am »
Tried downloading it, didn't work. Apparently the beta testing weekend has ended :P

update the client, then it works.
this games amazing. we should hold competitions!

Offline Pete

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2008, 12:18:48 am »
Oh my, this is excellent fun. I challenge you all at masu songs :P

Offline WereVolvo

• IRC Love Butter supplier
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Volvot ulvoo kuun savuun!
    • My personal site
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2008, 12:36:00 am »

update the client, then it works.
this games amazing. we should hold competitions!

roight, thx for the tip

rather nifty little game :)
<@Torp> I have seen your melted pussy!

Real Dwarfs wall themselves in once they are underground, and survive through incest and cat farming.

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2008, 12:45:23 am »
What? Someone tell me there's a download link somewhere. :(
That's the problem with heroes, really. Their only purpose in life is to thwart others. They make no plans, develop no strategies. They react instead of act. Without villains, heroes would stagnate. Without heroes, villains would be running the world. Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic.