Author Topic: Earphones for my Zune  (Read 5147 times)

Offline Drakonis

• Fighter from Ninne
  • "I am mine own Redeemer."
Earphones for my Zune
« on: January 18, 2008, 01:46:34 am »
I'm debating a pair of headphones for my Zune. I want something with quality. I seem to prefer the "In-Ear Headphones" that create a seal between the outside world and your ear. So far listening on even a cheap pair of those seem (to me at least) to sound dramatically better than any other travel sized headphones I've ever heard. It would be somewhat unreasonable for me to get huge clonkers for my Zune while at work anyway.

The two I've spotted so far, that seem to quite possibly be the best without sky rocketing in price, are: ProTone m100 In-Ear Earphones and Zune Premium Headphones v2's. Which would y'all suggest? Or another suggestion entirely, perhaps? :)

Thanks for any input!

Offline dezo

• ex Defence Against the Dark Arts
  • Machinae Prime
Re: Earphones for my Zune
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 02:19:00 am »
Zen Aurvana or mebbe JBuds

I usually don't use in-ear phones, but if i did they would prolly be expenseive shit =P

Offline Drakonis

• Fighter from Ninne
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 02:31:04 am »
Zen Aurvana or mebbe JBuds

I usually don't use in-ear phones, but if i did they would prolly be expenseive shit =P

Theres an 80 dollar difference there! LOL :)

What would you recommend if I'm willing to step outside the boundries of in-ear buds for listening to a Zune while at work and whatnot.

Basically, what do you think my option is for best sound without jumping into bankrupcy? :)

100 bucks ain't too bad, it's a bit more than I'd spend normally but if you know of something that is worth every penny I'd probably do it. :)

Offline dezo

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 02:44:28 am »
uh. on a mp3 player you should definitly go for the ones you think fits your ear best. I wouldn't have you wear a pair of "covers you entire frontal lobe" headphones =P

Go to a dealer and ty a couple off different in-ears and buy the ones you think rawks!

...or mebbe a pair of SHP 8500

Offline Drakonis

• Fighter from Ninne
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 02:57:59 am »
Okiedokie. I have tomorrow off work, I think I'm gunna look up some local sound places and just start checkin' things out.

I've really, really got to upgrade my sound all around. My zune, my PC (Gaming Headphones/Sound Card for virtual 3d sound, etc), and perhaps most importantly... my TV/Living Room Music. I'm ashamed to say that I have an HD TV and NO quality sound system or surround sound on it. Just the freakin' front pannel speakers that are connected to the TV itself.... Ugh, they sound... ugh...

Maybe I'll give myself a limit and just go see what I can do.

I'm such a sound nub. All this time I thought I was just supposed to make it loud and jump around. Turns out you need other shit too. Sheesh.

In all seriousness, I do use a fairly decent 5.1 Logitech system I've bounced around before between whatever I was doing. They're kinda old now, though. Really, I'm tired of having "decent" sound quality. It's time to get as close to good and premium as I can :)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 03:00:27 am by Drakonis »

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008, 03:13:00 am »
Shure and Etymotic canalphones are good. A canalphone is always better than earbuds; since it plugs your ear canal it not only sends the sound more directly through your head but also has pretty good passive noise canceling. You also end up not having to pump the volume as loud to hear it at the same fidelity levels, so you save your eardrums that way too.
I wouldn't have you wear a pair of "covers you entire frontal lobe" headphones
Definitely not with a portable, but a nice pair of over-ear cans makes worlds of difference when listening at home.

But, the joke to remember when visiting sound shops:

"What's the difference between a used car and a hi-fi salesman?"

"The car salesman knows when he's lying."
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Offline Chronologix

• SiteDeveloper
  • I am Canadian!
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008, 03:32:58 am »
I still love my Skullcrushers :)

Offline Irrationalist

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2008, 03:45:28 am »
I love my Zune Premiums that I got with the 80.

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2008, 03:55:08 am »
I still love my Skullcrushers :)
in that price range I can't recommend anything except grado sr60s
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Offline Einkoro

• Machinae Prime
  • ~tima
    • http://www.janpingel.com/
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2008, 04:08:39 am »
The only headphones worth considering: http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2008/01/14
"Don't believe anyone when they tell you irony is just a literary convention. It's a universal constant, like the coefficient of gravity." - Alfred Bester

Offline SpeedD

• Machinae Prime
  • Canada, BITCH!
    • Egg!
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2008, 05:38:14 am »
I love my Zune Premiums that I got with the 80.

I quite like those ear-buds too. MAGNETIC POWAH!
"What I felt was turned, in the tempest forged to hate. My soul I disconnected, and called out the Lightbringer to the gate."

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2008, 09:51:26 pm »
MAGNETIC POWAH!
every 'phone has rare earth magnet drivers

Offline SpeedD

• Machinae Prime
  • Canada, BITCH!
    • Egg!
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2008, 10:17:52 pm »
Not what I'm referring to, but regardless, interesting...fact.
"What I felt was turned, in the tempest forged to hate. My soul I disconnected, and called out the Lightbringer to the gate."

Offline dezo

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2008, 12:29:55 am »
every 'phone has rare earth magnet drivers
aye, I havent ever heard of electrostatic headphones =)

Offline Kernel

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2008, 01:03:31 am »
There may be some piezoelectric ones, but that isn't exactly Hi-Fi...

Well, I have a pair of those canal phones, and I don't like them quite as much. They are from Sennheiser, and the sound is quite clear, although a bit heavy in the bass sector. But what I don't like about them is that every time you move, when you're walking or something, you hear the cable rubbing against your cheeks. And this sound is much louder than with normal earbuds, because the phones are right inside your ear and literally connected to them, and you normally keep the volume much lower, since those phones transmit the sound right inside your ear. What also bothers me is that you can always hear your breathing _really_ loudly, same with when you're humming/singing along to music. Try covering your ears with your hands tightly, and then hum. That's what it sounds like.
So while the sound may be superior to normal earbuds, and outside noise is blocked perfectly, the high amount of "solid-borne sound" (i actually looked thar word up; it seems to mean sound transmitted through mechanical movement of the cables or like when your skull vibrates when you hum) is something you have to consider when you want to get a pair of those canal phones.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 01:05:15 am by Kernel »