Author Topic: MaSu and Hi-Fi  (Read 1675 times)

Offline dezo

• ex Defence Against the Dark Arts
  • Machinae Prime
MaSu and Hi-Fi
« on: January 17, 2008, 07:11:56 pm »
I was at a local Hi-Fi dealer today and tried a bit different speaker setups and amp setups with a promo CD.
the quality of the mixing/mastering is quite amazing, but the record is all in all a bit hard to find the right gear for.
I tried Klipsch RF 82 speakers with an onkyo reciever (605... or was it 705) to a great extent and the guitars sound amazing. The speakers did clutter up the soundscape a bit tho... I recommend using expensive headphones with an original CD through a standalone CD player before you express anything about the general sound quality. There are so much to find in the tracks.. you can listen again and again to the same track and still find new pieces you didn't hear before.

The onkyo reciever is teh shitz. Imma buy me one of those =)

Has anyone else tried to play MaSu from expensive rigs, and what are your impressions?

oh, and if you happen to live in LuleƄ I can inform you that it was LuleƄ Hemmabio, not Takt och Ton.

Offline Xarion

• The Listener
Re: MaSu and Hi-Fi
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 08:15:19 pm »

Has anyone else tried to play MaSu from expensive rigs, and what are your impressions?

Redeemer in 5.1 is quite cool actually :)
-sorry about this new post-

Offline SweZor

• Keeper of the SweZword
    • A blog devoid of activity.
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 01:10:24 am »
onboard soundcard and Creative HQ-1500 headphones? meh, it works.

Did try some tracks on the home cinema system through my 360 though, amazings! (Redeemer UE).

Can't wait until I can get my hands on the CD so I can try it out on my friends brand new double 18" speakers :D You can hear the bass from a kilometre away without even maxing them out :D (too bad we don't have a proper amp...)

Offline Kernel

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 08:36:01 pm »
I have an Onkyo, too. It's rather old, but it's really good. I had the luck of getting it for free from someone who bought something he thought was better.
Unfortunately I can't use my stereo in my appartment here. It'd just be too loud for this little room... and my neighbors. So I haven't heard its sound for quite a long time, but I assume it still sounds great :)

And yeah, I made the experience. Listening to Redeemer on some small but good speakers on a decent receiver, it was really great, discovering new part and all.

But in discovering new "hidden" parts, I think it's not always higher quality speakers / amps that make it better. Sometimes you hear something new also on a cheap set of speakers (as long as they're not total crap). It's like... different speakers produce different sound, and highlight different passages. It's already a new experience listening to a CD you know very well on a different set of speakers or headphones. Anyway, the bigger and more expensive the rig, the cooler (you think) it sounds *g*

I have to add that I'm not a fan of 5.1 sound. At least not from normal CDs. The CD was recorded in stereo, so if you blow it up to 5.1 artificially, it might sound cool, but you mess with the overall sound and balance, and the little hidden parts might get lost and other stuff might get overemphasized...
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 08:38:41 pm by Kernel »

Offline evilcandybag

• of Fire
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Armoured Tanks of Mass Destruction
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 09:16:23 pm »
I have found that at least Redeemer: RE sounds best on the built in stereo system that is standard in most Ford cars made between 98 and 00. Since it's built in, I have no idea what kinds of equipment they use.
"Actually, wooden stakes are for vampires. Wooden steaks are for vegetarians."