Author Topic: Overworld album reviews  (Read 70354 times)

Offline Xarion

• The Listener
Re: Overworld album reviews
« Reply #210 on: January 21, 2008, 07:01:14 pm »
For crying out loud, Xarion would you just quite fucking bitching? Ok we get the point that some people hate the album and/or the video. Ok, you've made that clear. Now go get back in your kennels, all of you. You've got nothing else constructive to post except "waaah needs moar sid".

As Gaz has pointed out, every single fucking album that gets released someone's disappointed,. or let down, or wants to have a whinge about the Sid. I mean what songs are you listening to? I can hear Sid? In all that bullshit you've been spreading everywhere lodged inside your ear canals?

You're absolutely wrong about me. Read my posts before insulting me. I haven't listened to the album and I LOVED the video. Now please be quiet or continue the discussion in PM.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 07:24:40 pm by Xarion »
-sorry about this new post-

MDX

« Reply #211 on: January 21, 2008, 07:02:44 pm »
For crying out loud, Xarion would you just quite fucking bitching? Ok we get the point that some people hate the album and/or the video. Ok, you've made that clear. Now go get back in your kennels, all of you. You've got nothing else constructive to post except "waaah needs moar sid".

As Gaz has pointed out, every single fucking album that gets released someone's disappointed,. or let down, or wants to have a whinge about the Sid. I mean what songs are you listening to? I can hear Sid? In all that bullshit you've been spreading everywhere lodged inside your ear canals?

You're absolutely wrong about me. Read my posts before insulting me. I haven't listened to the album and I LOVED the video. Now please shut up or continue the discussion in PM.

Nope, she's right. in fact i'm right, and that's all that matters..

Now shush please and rephrase your weak rebuttle in the form of an edited post or a PM to an un-used account on the forums.

Back on topic now.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 08:04:21 pm by megadökyo »

Offline skull

« Reply #212 on: January 21, 2008, 07:17:19 pm »

Back on topic now.

THE ALBUM FUCKING RULES!!!! its realy hit me toay that this isnt a dark and almost emo like, its still machinae like Rob said, they havent changed, just elvolved but kept their old syle. overworld ftw

on topic for ya :P

MDX

« Reply #213 on: January 21, 2008, 07:58:07 pm »
Thank you, and from the hype i have seen, i look forward to my copy coming :) :) :)

Offline Bocom

• SiteDeveloper
  • I'm in despair!
    • Woah there!
« Reply #214 on: January 21, 2008, 08:14:09 pm »
Thank you, and from the hype i have seen, i look forward to my copy coming :) :) :)

You should! :):):)
This quote is out of context:
<Bocom> I'm also going to see Quantum of Solace later
<Syndicated> Bocom: it is fucking scary
(@Radicz0r) Fuck! Its friday, and you wankers are talking about PIE. Pie! What the hell?

Offline Del.

« Reply #215 on: January 21, 2008, 09:24:27 pm »
Hmm...can't really tell my opinion just yet. But first impression was... a little disappointment  :-X and no, not because of amount of SiD or something like that. IMO there simply wasn't any really memorable songs (like I Know the Reaper, TTLG, Elite, Reanimator, Oki Kuma, Rogue World Asylum, whole DXM etc...) that really hit you from the very beginning.

So far rockin' to Edge and Pearl. Skin sounds awesomely epic until the fast part hits in (OK, I got it off my chest now)

BUT I do like the way Rob has grown as a vocalist  :)

« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 09:55:28 pm by Del. »

Offline rafael.pereira

• My DeviantART page
« Reply #216 on: January 21, 2008, 10:06:56 pm »
Well, I loved the album from the very start =] (when the first chorus in Overworld kicked in, wow, that was insane). It is an evolution of your sound that doesn't compromise the style of the band! One thing that I noticed, for example, is that the songs have more "breaks" and turnarounds that the old songs didn't have. Take Earthbound as an example: it's that basic "slow intro" -> "fast intro/chorus" and "verse" riffs, while songs like Stand, Edge and Pearl, Need for Steve (my favorite song of the album) and of course Skin change dramatically during the minutes they last, with different riffs, sid parts, singing styles and even the tempo itself.

I don't think it needs "moar SID" as someone may have said. They do appear frequently, and now they also appear in unexpected moments, becoming the "star" of some songs. Loved the shakuhachi (or whatever synth that is) on Skin and.. eh... well, the album is well-paced, fast but with slow parts on some songs.

I prefer DXM myself, but then that's for personal reasons (this album has played an important role in my life, hence why I love MS so much ;] ). Overworld is a brilliant album that will be playing in my cd player for a long time. The band has evolved, everythings getting better and the legion of fans is increasing everyday. Can't wait to put my hands on the CD itself! *waits by the mailbox*

(edit) oh, just some extra notes about the songs:

Overworld: It's a mix of Insidious and Elite. The result is, of course, excellent!
Need for Steve: Best song of the album, energetic, fast-paced, great solos and... yeah, sid.
Edge and Pearl: This song's got a nice "beat", it's fun to dance to it's chorus and sing along!
Radio Future: I didn't like the song, i don't know, it's too dark in my opinion. But when the chorus gets stuck in my head for 2 days, that's a sign that there's osmething interesting about this song ;]
Skin: As I said above, the sid/shakuhachi sounds great. I just wished there could be more slow parts, but it's one of my favorites!
Truth of Tomorrow: Great song, it sounds very very Machinae, and the lyrics remind me of that "videogame-cyberpunk-hero" style some people including me like in some MS songs!
Dark City: My favorite part is the guitar solo. the song develops very well, very catchy.
Covnveyer: the beggining reminds me of Rise. Good song, great SID!
Gimme More: a new insight on Britney's song. Reminds me of a band that made a rock version of smooth criminal (check it out if on youtube, it's great)
Violator: Reminds me of "Follower". A SIDfest :D very fast-paced. nice.
SID Icarus: I need to pay attention to the lyrics to ellaborate more on this version. I like Toyotas, btw =]
Stand: Nice way to close the album. It's an epic song, very balanced. I think it could have better vocals, tho. I mean, more agressivity when singing. Other than that. the ".told" part is awesome!

(sorry for the long post, hope it helps the band in knowing what their fans think of their music, tho =])
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 10:21:01 pm by rafael.pereira »

Offline Bocom

• SiteDeveloper
  • I'm in despair!
    • Woah there!
« Reply #217 on: January 21, 2008, 10:24:11 pm »
Well, I loved the album from the very start =] (when the first chorus in Overworld kicked in, wow, that was insane). It is an evolution of your sound that doesn't compromise the style of the band! One thing that I noticed, for example, is that the songs have more "breaks" and turnarounds that the old songs didn't have. Take Earthbound as an example: it's that basic "slow intro" -> "fast intro/chorus" and "verse" riffs, while songs like Stand, Edge and Pearl, Need for Steve (my favorite song of the album) and of course Skin change dramatically during the minutes they last, with different riffs, sid parts, singing styles and even the tempo itself.

I don't think it needs "moar SID" as someone may have said. They do appear frequently, and now they also appear in unexpected moments, becoming the "star" of some songs. Loved the shakuhachi (or whatever synth that is) on Skin and.. eh... well, the album is well-paced, fast but with slow parts on some songs.

I prefer DXM myself, but then that's for personal reasons (this album has played an important role in my life, hence why I love MS so much ;] ). Overworld is a brilliant album that will be playing in my cd player for a long time. The band has evolved, everythings getting better and the legion of fans is increasing everyday. Can't wait to put my hands on the CD itself! *waits by the mailbox*

See, THIS is a good argument! Stating that you like DXM more, because of personal reasons! Nice! :D

I would +1 you if I knew HOW! >_>
This quote is out of context:
<Bocom> I'm also going to see Quantum of Solace later
<Syndicated> Bocom: it is fucking scary
(@Radicz0r) Fuck! Its friday, and you wankers are talking about PIE. Pie! What the hell?

Offline Skorpinox

« Reply #218 on: January 21, 2008, 11:09:01 pm »
I've been listening to the rip 24/7 since I downloaded it. (Don't worry, I pre-ordered the album)

Amazing.

Conveyer is my favourite right now, but I honestly like EVERY song on the album.

I just wish Skin was slow for the whole song, because I was about to go emo and then it was like BLAM back to rocking out =)

Offline WereVolvo

• IRC Love Butter supplier
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Volvot ulvoo kuun savuun!
    • My personal site
« Reply #219 on: January 22, 2008, 12:24:59 am »
Deleted some more useless posts, but there's probably still some more that I've missed.

any more deliberate spamming, snide comments, etc WILL result in an official warning. Understood?
(that was a rhetorical question... first one to clutter up this thread and actually answer it will end up with my boot in their arse)
<@Torp> I have seen your melted pussy!

Real Dwarfs wall themselves in once they are underground, and survive through incest and cat farming.

Offline Gordon

• Band Member
  • Tack som FAAAN! =)
    • Machinae Supremacy
« Reply #220 on: January 22, 2008, 12:32:38 am »

Nice order MDX... don't expect the sid station though.  ;) And I guess the shipping on the keyboards would cost an awful lot.  :)

"Det är Arvids tur att sitta i lådan."

Offline Einkoro

• Machinae Prime
  • ~tima
    • http://www.janpingel.com/
« Reply #221 on: January 22, 2008, 12:50:53 am »
I'm enjoying the album. Conveyer really hits home and makes me think about EA Games (particularly what they did to my beloved C&C, violated dreams) and the gaming industry in general as of late. My favourite song would probably be Skin because of that asian flute thingy. What is it called anyway?

The only thing negative I can say is Gimmie More (SID) really hurts the flow of the album for me; I think it would have been better as the last track or as a download with something else taking its place on the album. I'm also a bit sad that there is no instrumentals again and that Erica doesn't sing more than a short line on Stand.

So in summary, gimmie more:
  • Instrumentals
  • Erica
  • Asian Flute Thingy
  • Violins. I loved them in Flagcarrier.
  • SID ;)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 12:54:25 am by Einkoro »
"Don't believe anyone when they tell you irony is just a literary convention. It's a universal constant, like the coefficient of gravity." - Alfred Bester

Offline rafael.pereira

• My DeviantART page
« Reply #222 on: January 22, 2008, 01:01:08 am »

See, THIS is a good argument! Stating that you like DXM more, because of personal reasons! Nice! :D

I would +1 you if I knew HOW! >_>

Hey, i'm sorry but i have to reply to this post.

What I said there is that I like DXM better than Overworld, but that it's not a rule, i'm not saying that dxm is better because of the songs themselves, but rather i like it more because of my personal life. in other words, in an unbiased review i'd say that overworld is the best machinae album so far (even if they're all great albums). now if you really want to know, dxm helped me getting over a sad moment in my life with it's bright lyrics and sound.

Offline Gazus

• Trackers @t Work
« Reply #223 on: January 22, 2008, 01:20:28 am »
My favourite song would probably be Skin because of that asian flute thingy. What is it called anyway?

If it's the same as in Oki Kumas Adventure, I guess it's shakuhachi.
OMFG LEGO Machinae !

klegak age at 18 isthe shit poh oh oah happy newyear

Offline tetsuo2040

• Death From Above!
« Reply #224 on: January 22, 2008, 01:22:38 am »
Songs that I love the most on the album [in no order];

Edge&Pearl
Stand
Dark City
Need For Steve
Violator
Gimme More [Sid]

Songs that I like [in no order];
Overworld
Radio Future

The rest of the songs are yet to grow on me. Depending on how I feel, Skin is OK. Truth Of Tomorrow, I just tend to skip.

Sid Icarus is kinda annoying [Sorry guys]. Maybe it's just that I'm so used to FOTT.

Same with Conveyer. The intro is hardcore, but I can't get into the rest of the song.

Lyrics on the whole album are epic.