Author Topic: Overworld album reviews  (Read 72811 times)

Offline tetsuo2040

• Death From Above!
Re: Overworld album reviews
« Reply #150 on: January 16, 2008, 04:16:03 pm »
Edge & Pearl is just badass.

I love it.

Offline Bocom

• SiteDeveloper
  • I'm in despair!
    • Woah there!
« Reply #151 on: January 16, 2008, 05:26:06 pm »
it is jsut some parts in few songs that are fcked up in the rip its high quality but lousy rip.

Yeah, I agree.. Well, it's not very high, it's a variable speed UP TO 256kb/s, which means that it floats around 256kb/s, only below that though, which means that it tops 256kb/s. That's kinda mediocre IMHO. A 320kb rip is what I will have on my computer when I have the CD.

Wow, too much techno babble. :D

I've got Redeemer ripped in .flac format. Makes the album around 500 MB, but it's worth it. I'll be doing the same for Overworld once it gets to me.

Do you mean that you will rip it or download it?

Because downloading it again when you can rip it yourself seems kinda... pointless, imo. :P

Oh, I will be ripping it from the cd. That way I know the quality is lossless for certain.

If you rip it in a lossless coded (*cough*FLAC*cough*), then it's lossless. :)
This quote is out of context:
<Bocom> I'm also going to see Quantum of Solace later
<Syndicated> Bocom: it is fucking scary
(@Radicz0r) Fuck! Its friday, and you wankers are talking about PIE. Pie! What the hell?

Offline Viherminttu

« Reply #152 on: January 16, 2008, 05:40:11 pm »
Rrrreally? Whudathunkit?
<WereVolvo> moar sid! new album sux! music vid sux! machinae are sellouts! where i find crappack lulz? when is page getting updated? gief moar free songs plx. zomg plz come to the US/UK/Mars/Alpha Centauri! when r u guyz gonna do a tour? i think u shuld come to this festival it wuld be gr8!

Offline skull

« Reply #153 on: January 16, 2008, 06:02:04 pm »
lol, my mate has the theory that the band leaked the album. he claims the file type of the leak is the same file type on the webography tracks

mind you, tbh, I duobt thatthe band leaked it

muppis, you are prime subject :P

Offline yas‮

• The laziest one.
  • I believe in respawn.
    • Me on SoundCloud
« Reply #154 on: January 16, 2008, 06:29:11 pm »
OK, here is my review:

1. Overworld - it's third in my top 3 of this album. A SID intro, kicks in nicely, has the power. But it loses it around 0:38. Then when Rob jumps in, it regains it. Then it loses it once again in the chorus part. Then back again with the main riff. Then boring for few seconds. Then back again. Good track, but it's fcking "unstable".

2. Need for Steve - Guitar + SID intro, sounds good. Rob's singing is really great on this one. The track has some great atmosphere.

3. Edge and Pearl - synth(?) intro, pretty atmospheric. I don't like the verses, but the chorus is pretty nice here.

4. Radio Future - listened to it like 10 times and I'm already fed up of the SID/synth intro. But the rest is OK, nothing special though.

5. Skin - love Rob's vocal here, it's the best track on the album. Duh, at least one upbeat here. Until around 2:00, when it gains some powuh, but loses all the delicate touch it had before.

6. Truth of Tomorrow - pretty mediocre track, it reminds me of some DXM tracks, though I found it a bit boring.

7. Dark City - my favourite track. Great intro and main riff. It's epic as hell, contains the right amount of slowness and quickness. It's just nearly perfect. Awesome lyrics, awesome atmosphere.

8. Conveyer - nice. It's got some kinda "Empire" meets "I Know the Reaper" feel.

9. Gimme More (SID) - a good track, but it disrupts the metalness of this album. It just doesn't fit. Whole album is a collection of epic tracks, while this one is a pop metal thingy. Though I love the solo at 2:13.

10. Violator - duuuuuuuuuh, anooother SID intro... how much can I take? Nevertheless, the proper song kicks in with great amount of energy and it maintains it just to the end.

11. SID Icarus - basically it's the same as Flight of the Toyota, but with addition of Rob singing, which doesn't fit in for me, as I'm used to the original song from J'n'G OST. And it has a SID intro.

12. Stand - second in my top 3 of Overworld. Hard to describe my feelings about this track, but I love the main riff and the SID Intro (duuuuh, another one!).

Overall:
This album feels more like DXM than Redeemer. First of all, I must admin that lyrics are great, great and once again - great. It's got some punky feeling, because most of the tracks have a really similar tempo. I don't like the overall mastering, guitars seem to be too dry, bass seems to have too much bass and to little treble, drums have too little bass and too much treble, vocals seem to be a bit dull and hide behind all of above mentioned. I had to use equalizers to make it sound good, which I didn't do on Redeemer. Still, it may be a problem of advance internet rip. I can change my mind when I obtain the retail, original CD. My review can be a bit harsh, but I really like the fact, that Overworld is completely different than Redeemer and I still think you guys are talented, yet evolving. The Poe-Dezo exchange didn't even leave a mark. If I had to give Overworld a rating, it would be 8-/10. Very good, but could be better.

Offline gaijin

• Hiding behind the couch
  • Community Supporter
  • "You sound like the Morning Star"
    • Motljus
« Reply #155 on: January 16, 2008, 06:49:28 pm »
I don't like the overall mastering, guitars seem to be too dry, bass seems to have too much bass and to little treble, drums have too little bass and too much treble, vocals seem to be a bit dull and hide behind all of above mentioned. I had to use equalizers to make it sound good, which I didn't do on Redeemer. Still, it may be a problem of advance internet rip. I can change my mind when I obtain the retail, original CD.

Checked it out, and you're right. I'd attribute it to the rip, though, since the songs i got from robz doesn't sound like this. Sounds ok during synth/sid-parts, but with guitars/bass/vocals, it becomes too messy. But as I said, this isn't a problem with the copy I have.
Oi, is this when I get a huge sig-image, start whining about "moar sid" and make nonsensical arguments to no good?

Offline mumppis

• I Know The mumppis
« Reply #156 on: January 16, 2008, 06:50:36 pm »
I don't like the overall mastering, guitars seem to be too dry, bass seems to have too much bass and to little treble, drums have too little bass and too much treble, vocals seem to be a bit dull and hide behind all of above mentioned. I had to use equalizers to make it sound good, which I didn't do on Redeemer. Still, it may be a problem of advance internet rip. I can change my mind when I obtain the retail, original CD.

Checked it out, and you're right. I'd attribute it to the rip, though, since the songs i got from robz doesn't sound like this. Sounds ok during synth/sid-parts, but with guitars/bass/vocals, it becomes too messy. But as I said, this isn't a problem with the copy I have.

true dat

Offline yas‮

• The laziest one.
  • I believe in respawn.
    • Me on SoundCloud
« Reply #157 on: January 16, 2008, 06:54:38 pm »
So, still a month of waiting for the True Overworld.

Offline Bocom

• SiteDeveloper
  • I'm in despair!
    • Woah there!
« Reply #158 on: January 16, 2008, 07:02:03 pm »
So, still a month of waiting for the True Overworld.

As we already noted and knew. ^_^ :P
(@Radicz0r) Fuck! Its friday, and you wankers are talking about PIE. Pie! What the hell?

Offline Drakonis

• Fighter from Ninne
  • Community Supporter
  • "I am mine own Redeemer."
« Reply #159 on: January 16, 2008, 08:08:13 pm »
I caved. :(

Once I had preordered and ordered some merch I couldn't take it. My room mate also found out and had already freaked out and listened.

Stone me if you'd like, I did pay my $110ish USD for two shirts and a CD and shipping to another dimension :)

This is what I have to say about the album:
Blown. Away.

DXM was excellent, Redeemer was defined, this album is a testiment to the maturity and evolution of Machinae as musicians. It is grown up and it's amazing. I LOVE even the older work, Earthbound, Hero... etc. Amazing songs. But MaSu has not failed to amaze me.

When the final track, Stand, began playing I could feel the blood rush to my face. A feeling I cannot attribute to any particular reason, but I wanted to grab someone and say "OH MY GOD LISTEN TO THIS".

Beautiful exit to the album, imo. Every song is strong, I have listened on repeat since yesterday and have not grown tired of any of them. I cannot skip a single track on this album, they're awesome. I love them all. The track that gets a little extra attention is Need for Steve, I'm not sure why - It's just giggity. My current favorites are Stand, Skin, and Need for Steve in no particular order (thats really hard for me to say though, because like I said. They are all amazing and I love the entire album).

Thank you guys, another freakin' amazing piece of musical entertainment. Can't wait for the hardcopy and the video.

Offline WilllemNL

• Terra Solus
    • Xboxworld - All the news on Xbox 360 in Dutch!
« Reply #160 on: January 16, 2008, 08:15:11 pm »
I'm not giving seperate reviews for every song because almost everything I got to say applies to all the songs.

First off, I think Overworld is the least (less good than the rest, w/e I spell it) album MaSu has produced so far. I find most of the songs rather dry. The SID is back but doesn't really contribute much to the songs. It is there, and it's good, fun to hear, but without it some of the songs would be as great as with SID. I love DXM because the SID contributes a lot to the songs, I love RU because it is massively epic. OV doesn't do any. The SID on Need for Steve is great because it works towards the guitar solos following (2:20). This is good, really like it. But... what if the SID had been there WITH the solos, for an awesome fast and powerful SID/metal combi? I also think MaSu didn't pull of everything they could've (viewing the previous CDs). With a cover (Gimme More) and a 'let's add lyrics' (SID Icarus/Flight of the Toyota) their only remain 10 songs. This means the NEW material lasts only 45 minutes. While the NEW material on DXM lasts over one hour.
Good things about OV are the lyrics. Not just the text itself, but the way it's applied to the music and Robert's voice. It's really great! It's different from DXM and RE/RU, had to grow accustomed to it, but now I LUUUUV it. Really great! Songs got a lot of power but a less epic touch to 'm. It made the music more power metal and more raw, with the solos following some of the power parts it makes up for a great combination!

This CD shows you guys still know the deal and try a lot out. DXM - SID, RE/RE - Epic and now OV - Raw/Power. That's what I think.

If I had to rate it would be 7,5/10.

Offline Bocom

• SiteDeveloper
  • I'm in despair!
    • Woah there!
« Reply #161 on: January 16, 2008, 08:21:21 pm »
I'm not giving seperate reviews for every song because almost everything I got to say applies to all the songs.

First off, I think Overworld is the least (less good than the rest, w/e I spell it) album MaSu has produced so far. I find most of the songs rather dry. The SID is back but doesn't really contribute much to the songs. It is there, and it's good, fun to hear, but without it some of the songs would be as great as with SID. I love DXM because the SID contributes a lot to the songs, I love RU because it is massively epic. OV doesn't do any. The SID on Need for Steve is great because it works towards the guitar solos following (2:20). This is good, really like it. But... what if the SID had been there WITH the solos, for an awesome fast and powerful SID/metal combi? I also think MaSu didn't pull of everything they could've (viewing the previous CDs). With a cover (Gimme More) and a 'let's add lyrics' (SID Icarus/Flight of the Toyota) their only remain 10 songs. This means the NEW material lasts only 45 minutes. While the NEW material on DXM lasts over one hour.
Good things about OV are the lyrics. Not just the text itself, but the way it's applied to the music and Robert's voice. It's really great! It's different from DXM and RE/RU, had to grow accustomed to it, but now I LUUUUV it. Really great! Songs got a lot of power but a less epic touch to 'm. It made the music more power metal and more raw, with the solos following some of the power parts it makes up for a great combination!

This CD shows you guys still know the deal and try a lot out. DXM - SID, RE/RE - Epic and now OV - Raw/Power. That's what I think.

If I had to rate it would be 7,5/10.

That's basically what I stated earlier in the other thread. Glad to think that I think in the same way. :)

Anyway, before calling the album dry/messed up, please wait until we have the original CD, because the rips aren't mixed well unfortunately, like confirmed by Gaijin and Mumppis. ;)

Offline mumppis

• I Know The mumppis
« Reply #162 on: January 16, 2008, 08:22:07 pm »
yes wait for the real thing lossles audio always wins

Offline WilllemNL

• Terra Solus
    • Xboxworld - All the news on Xbox 360 in Dutch!
« Reply #163 on: January 16, 2008, 08:25:33 pm »
yes wait for the real thing lossles audio always wins

I know, and I will! This is my review as far as I can tell from the leak! ;)

Offline yas‮

• The laziest one.
  • I believe in respawn.
    • Me on SoundCloud
« Reply #164 on: January 16, 2008, 09:28:13 pm »
Some songs still sound great on that rip, so I wonder how pimped up they must be on the retail.