Author Topic: Harddrive failure?! Fuckfuckfuckfuckfuck!  (Read 1881 times)

Offline Bocom

• SiteDeveloper
  • I'm in despair!
    • Woah there!
Harddrive failure?! Fuckfuckfuckfuckfuck!
« on: May 21, 2008, 11:16:16 pm »
This can't be happening!
Much of my music stopped working. And some of my documents too.
My computer freezes up for 3 minutes or so when I try to launch something, before spitting out a CRC error.

Flagcarrier was the first thing that showed me the signs; I can only play like 4 seconds of the song, then it freezes, and then foobar claims that the file is corrupted.

And it's pretty close to the end of the term, which means that I have to leave my laptop at my school under the summer. And they will "re-ghost" the computer, which effectively means that all my precious data will be gone. I need to backup... Like, quickly, or else much of what I've done up until now have been in vain. ;_;

Luckily, most of my music is backed up on my MacBook, but it's the documents and stuff that I'm worried about.

What do you think caused this? Can I please get your opinion on this matter? I mean, do you think it'll get worse, or do you think that my harddrive's content is safe until next week?
This quote is out of context:
<Bocom> I'm also going to see Quantum of Solace later
<Syndicated> Bocom: it is fucking scary
(@Radicz0r) Fuck! Its friday, and you wankers are talking about PIE. Pie! What the hell?

Lysix

Re: Harddrive failure?! Fuckfuckfuckfuckfuck!
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 11:24:07 pm »
you're having exactly what happened to me. it began with stuttering games/video, followed by taking forever to open anything, even so much as minimising windows.
i just downloaded a USB version of windows XP. if you have a usb stick handy, i could PM you the link and you should install it on there so you can boot from it should anything severe happen whilst trying to back things up. [:

Offline Bocom

• SiteDeveloper
  • I'm in despair!
    • Woah there!
Re: Harddrive failure?! Fuckfuckfuckfuckfuck!
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 11:30:52 pm »
you're having exactly what happened to me. it began with stuttering games/video, followed by taking forever to open anything, even so much as minimising windows.
i just downloaded a USB version of windows XP. if you have a usb stick handy, i could PM you the link and you should install it on there so you can boot from it should anything severe happen whilst trying to back things up. [:

Dude, that would be awesome! D:

Hopefully my tracklist won't change now! It's one particular song that might be corrupt, but if it works in that USB version, then I just have to burn and send it! Like, YAY!

Send away! And thanks in beforehand, mate! :D
This quote is out of context:
<Bocom> I'm also going to see Quantum of Solace later
<Syndicated> Bocom: it is fucking scary
(@Radicz0r) Fuck! Its friday, and you wankers are talking about PIE. Pie! What the hell?