Author Topic: I feel like I'm going crazy here  (Read 4437 times)

Offline Gravehill

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Dignity! Strength! Love!
Re: I feel like I'm going crazy here
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2007, 10:32:20 pm »
That being said, if anyone would threaten or come even close to threatening my kid or my wife, I would hang the people in question up in their eyelids with smallish hooks, and sit around the rest of my life, forcing them to blink periodically.
Amen to that.

Funny thing, really. When it comes to protecting beloved ones, especially my kid, I seem to lose common sense. Once about a year ago couple of kids were throwing snowballs towards my soon to be two year old son. There was not much snow on the ground so I knew from experience that there would be sand and small stones inside snowballs too. I knew that my son could not dodge those balls since generally speaking kid of that age and wearing heavy winter clothes is not very good at dodging anything. I knew that once, almost thirty years ago my brother got thrown object (key) into his eye. He almost lost his vision and had to be operated with long scale at hospital. This all I realized instantly. And after that I went quite crazy. I yelled to those little kids, called them by names ("bloody idiots" was the term), threatened them and called their parents names ("bloody idiots", also) too because they have not taught their kids properly. And kids yelled back and keep throwing those balls towards me. After I have yelled some time with my face red I began to become to my senses. I realized that ofcourse those kids don't know WHY I was so worried about my son. Also I did feel ashamed for shouting at them. So I started to rationalize thing to them. I told about my experience (that snowballs are filled with sand and small rocks, that my son is too young to play such games and that my brother once almost lost his eyesight because game like that and so on). And guess what? Kids stopped throwing snowballs, yelled that they did not know that and went away to play something else. What I learned from that thing among that I can be bloody idiot too? That when it becomes to protecting my son I can become real monster ready to eat small children if they are threat to my son. I learned too that even when I lose temper it's still good idea to think as soon as it's possible to think anything because thunderous sound of bursting blood vessels on head. Violence (in form of shouting) did not solve anything, just made me to look like an idiot that I was. But trying to adapt to the situation of other party (those kids were just playing the very same dumb games I too once played - ignorant and young) and trying to speak about matter did solve it.

It was great lesson to learn. But still whenever my son is threatened my primitive reaction stays the same. Somehow the fear and rage in those situations is far greater than if that threat was directed to me. But most fruitous thing is often to let that reaction to go as soon as possible and try some other approach. It works better usually, IMO.
Random ramblings and furious feminine novels per versatility.

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2007, 11:34:23 pm »
If he wanted to stop them, he should've used the butt of the gun or something. Or hell, just told them to stop and aimed at them with an intimidating face.
That's the problem with heroes, really. Their only purpose in life is to thwart others. They make no plans, develop no strategies. They react instead of act. Without villains, heroes would stagnate. Without heroes, villains would be running the world. Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic.

Offline Annie

• My tumblr, lul.
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2007, 11:49:40 pm »
Gravehill rocks.
Quote from: Still Not Fiindil
Annie, you ain't fucking human.

Offline Laser.T

• 日本人ですか?
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2007, 02:25:27 pm »
I agree that burglars should expect to be injured by someone protecting their property - I find it disgusting that burglars can sue the people who tried to protect what's theirs because they injured the burglar in the process. The burglars are the ones out of bounds and should be prepared to accept the consequences of their actions.

What that man did in the audio file is a completely different kettle of fish. It wasn't his property to protect and there are hundreds of other actions he could've done instead. That man is a maniac with a gun and nothing more. He was defending nothing - a crazed vigilante because of his "right" to bear arms. Unless, as Annie says, there is more detail to the story we are unaware of.

Now, had the burglars approached his house, then I'd be open to debate. In my opinion it's his right to defend his property, but would he have had the right to shoot them if they tried to break into his own house? I'd say no - threaten, hit, take a warning shot even, but shoot them dead is out of the question.

This also raises another question: What would YOU do if your next door neighbours house was being broken into? Call the police of course; but what if they weren't fast enough? I dunno what I'd do.

Offline Gravehill

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Dignity! Strength! Love!
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2007, 02:53:17 pm »
First thing would be that I would call the police from my mobile phone, that's for sure. And keep contact to them through the situation. But after that...

Depends on whole situation : if there were kids on neighbour house or invalid grandma I would try to stop them entering at the first place. Usually burglars do run away if noticed - it lessens the risk of being caught plus they can always empty another house somewhere else. So maybe just running to the door and yelling at them would do the trick. At the same time I would try to wake as many neighbours as possible to get strength from numbers (providing that they were not awakened by my shouts already - I live in pretty populated area and each neighbour knows each other pretty well) and more witnesses to the current episode.

If situation would turn to worse - let's just say that they would start running towards me I would lock the door. After that I would fetch one of my blades and prepare to defend myself if they're trying to break through the door and if they were armed. I don't really believe that they could get through our door and as we live on second floor getting in through windows takes quite a lot exercise from them.

If those burglars just were trying to break in to the neighbour, not paying attention to my shouts I would fetch my camera and take some photos of them. What ever direction the situation might take those photos might come handy later.

If I could not prevent their entry and I were in situation alone I would just wait the police. It might sound cruel but I value my own life and my family's life more than my neighbours. It's so easy to get injured or even killed in such empty heroic action. Besides - if police would come in middle of situation I would be on their way. I know couple of situations (from Finland) where someone has interfered rape or other crime and got sued and actually got sentence from excessive use of force. Well... If there were kids on danger I might do something, might take a risk but that would be action based only for instinct and emotion rather than thinking. And as such reactions are highly depending on situation,estimation of danger, and how instincts work I cannot really say what I would do as that kind of actions are hard to predict.

If that house was empty then I would stop at that "shouting and alarming neighbours" part... And maybe I would try taking a pic if possible. And when they were leaving checking the direction they were heading. But that's all. Empty apartment with no lives on danger - no need to take unnecessary risks because of that, IMO.
Random ramblings and furious feminine novels per versatility.

Offline cloudstrifex

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2007, 08:19:37 pm »
Well we can probably be sure the guy just got back from coon hunting with his chuck friends in their big Ford F-150 and he was still in the "shoot anything that moves" mentality so there's the main problem.