Author Topic: Need some clarification :s Amps and effects!?  (Read 7333 times)

Offline Chimeray

• I'm a llama!
Need some clarification :s Amps and effects!?
« on: December 21, 2007, 12:17:22 pm »
Hi, I'm new to the world of amps I'm still playing with my starters pack, I decided to buy a decent guitar first, bought the Ibanez RG2620E which I love!!! So now I need an amp, I thought of spending like €800 on it without effects. I've heard tube amps are better so I'm looking into them. But I've come across a bigger problem... effects, I really like effects and to mess around with them but I can't be bothered to buy all these seperate pedals so I was thinking of a multi-effects sort of thing but there are so many sorts! I'm very confused, what are these pre-amps, and those line 6 pod/toneport/guitarport things? And rackmounted effects like the G-sharp of TC Electronic? Can anyone clarify that for me? :s

I would like to get somewhere close to the MaSu sound and they've put their toneport/guitarport samples online but I don't really know what they do but I guess you'll need them to get their sound?

Thanks!

Offline megashroom°

• Things!
Re: Need some clarification :s Amps and effects!?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2007, 01:39:06 pm »
Machinae Supremacy currently uses Line 6 guitar port with the Metal addon for recording.

I am quite shure that you can create similiar sounds with something from the line 6 pod series. I've only used Line 6 XT, and it is awsome.
But i've heard from a friend that Pocket Pod is great. It does not cost as much as the XT or X3 (and it is small as hell).

http://line6.com/pocketpod/
http://line6.com/podxt/
http://line6.com/podx3/

X3 is the newest one. And they announce it as "The most powerful pod ever".

There are also floor versions of them, if you wanna get live.

Another great multi effect thing is the Boss GT-8.

http://www.bosscorp.co.jp/products/en/GT-8/index.html

You shound test some in a music store.

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 01:52:54 pm »
Grr @ Line 6.

the GT-8 is definately going to be my next purchase. That thing is simply amazing.

Offline Niccho

• Trying is the first step towards failure
    • -Niccho-
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 02:13:42 pm »
I recommend Digitech GNX3. It's cheap and awesome!

Offline Chimeray

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 04:55:56 pm »
So if I understand correctly? That line 6 guitarport/toneport is for recording with their kind of sound, but can get their sound as well with a pod?

What is your opinion on the G-sharp of TC Electronic? I like their effects, but I don't need all those reverbs :s

Offline dezo

• ex Defence Against the Dark Arts
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2007, 08:44:37 pm »
*puts on the flame retardant ointment*
Pods don't even come close to the quality you get from guitarport's.
Multi effects always deliver fucked up sound one way or another... you might say the sound is "dirty" even if it sounds good at first. I would never use multi effect on a recording.
sooo, buy a computer and a toneport. When you choose tube-amps, don't ever get fooled by ppl who claim that tubes matter... well, they do actually but all transistors come from Sovtek anyways even if it says Fender or something on the side of the tube.
So, listen to the sound. Try it on. Buy the shit you feel sexx0rz with =)
A good amp with a guitar with phat mic's and a good old cable still is teh shitz. Effects is a addon when you record the shit.

and yes, I'm a bit retro =P
and plz, flame this if you want. I know it's a bit narrow thinking.

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2007, 10:55:31 pm »
When you choose tube-amps, don't ever get fooled by ppl who claim that tubes matter... well, they do actually
I rest my case.

Offline dezo

• ex Defence Against the Dark Arts
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2007, 11:17:26 pm »
When you choose tube-amps, don't ever get fooled by ppl who claim that tubes matter... well, they do actually
I rest my case.

hehe
mebbe I should clarify. Tubes matters in the tube>digital discussion.
the brand of the tube matters not.
the model of the tube matters. they are all of sovtek.
oh, and all your tubes are belong to us.

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2007, 02:02:00 am »
Valve amps give your sound some balls man, none of that transistor shit can ever match that.

Offline Chimeray

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2007, 02:10:02 pm »
Keep them coming guys! I might learn something from this discussion :p

Offline Niccho

• Trying is the first step towards failure
    • -Niccho-
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2007, 02:25:57 pm »
All this bashing about transistor amps is exaggerated. I mean have you guys actually used large transistor amps? I do agree that tubeamps are alot better but don't entirely count out transistor and hybrid amps. I've used 75W Line6 Spider II HD75 head for about a year now (with 2x12 framus cab usually) and i can say, it got some serious balls! Compared to my friends tube Marshall (JCM600 or something like that), my line6 is a fucking nuclear powerplant (if you get what i mean). And about those multieffects, they have their flaws, but if you get a proper one (Digitech GNX 3 or 4, Boss GT-6 or 8 or some of those more expensive PODs), you can get really awesome sounds for small amount of money (especially if you like to use lotsa weird effects). I dunno much about racks but i guess theyre good too. All this depends on what kinda music you play, of course :P .

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2007, 05:08:35 pm »
Niccho has a point, and i don't exclude transistor/hybrid amps. But as for solely relying on transistor.. I think you should take the best advantages of both sides and create a killer sound. Eventually ill get a hybrid. First waiting for the boss gt 8 :D

Offline Chimeray

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2008, 12:05:48 am »
I bought a Hughes and Kettner Switchblade 50w Combo. All tube amp with effects in it, guess it was what I was looking for :p
Didn't know this kind of stuff existed :p

Offline grey

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2008, 01:15:33 pm »
Niccho has a point, and i don't exclude transistor/hybrid amps. But as for solely relying on transistor.. I think you should take the best advantages of both sides and create a killer sound. Eventually ill get a hybrid. First waiting for the boss gt 8 :D

btw - gt-10 is on it's way... http://rolandus.com/products/productdetails.aspx?ObjectId=941&ParentId=46