Author Topic: Free MMORTSRPG Shattered Galaxy (detailed)  (Read 10187 times)

Offline Chronologix

• SiteDeveloper
  • I am Canadian!
Free MMORTSRPG Shattered Galaxy (detailed)
« on: December 09, 2007, 10:17:20 am »
Ok so....the game is called Shattered Galaxy. It is a rather old isometric 2D low-end graphics MMORTSRPG

www.sgalaxy.com

MMORTSRPG:

Game Concept: There are 2 planets (used to be 3 back when i played) that have player factions that fight for control of the planet. The planet itself is split into several "Provinces" which each faction has the ability to control. (Updates can change the # of factions currently used on each planet...this particular shot has 4 factions)

The First planet is for newcomers and low level players to train and get a feel for the game and once a player reaches a certain level they are sent to the Veteran planet (i will talk about the leveling soon)

Each player has control of 48 units, set into squads of 6 (an attribute you can level up on your character can allow you to have more units per squad) and there are 4 sections of units to choose from: Infantry, Mobile, Aviation, Organic

The Squad screen lets you choose which units you are going to take into battle first, or reinforce with into a battle:

Infantry Units: as the name implies, they are ground based, mainly biped units, that can have various roles and weaponry, some are good for anti-air, some anti-ground and others are equally versatile.

Mobile: Ground based armored units that range from scouting units to set-up and fire artillery units.

Aviation: Air based units that can cannot capture locations in maps but are good for moving around quickly and supporting where needed

Organic: a mix of air and ground units that have many various roles. These units are pretty much aliens that have been captured and trained. These are the only real units that "evolve" and change shape, damage and armor depending on your characters attributes and their level.

Unit Design: This is a big part of the system, like many RPG games, instead of fitting yourself with new weapons and armor, you now fit your various units with weapons, armor and upgrades to suit your gamestyle and give you the advantage you need on the battlefield. Although changing the weaponry and armor does not directly change what your units look like, you can go into detail and name each individual unit to your liking.

Unit Leveling: As you fight with your units, they gain exp and level up after each battle, the more they kill and less they die the more exp. Once a squad of units dies, you then have to go and choose a new squad to bring into battle, until there are no squads left for you to control.

Points of Capture (POC): Each map has different #s of these POCs, and they are scattered in different sections of the Province. To capture one, you need ground units, and once they are standing on the POC itself, it will then "tick" like a clock unto the points in which it is under your control. These POCs are used to determine who gains control of a Province at the end of a battle, as well if an attacking force gains control of all POCs on the map, they will then win the province for themselves.

Your Character: You are a commander, you never directly enter the battle, you cross the planet as your character but as soon as you reach a battle zone, it automatically changed to your units to do the dirty work. Your character level depends primarily on your units, and there are 4 sections you can level up in which give you more attribute points to spend. These 4 sections are Infantry, Mobile, Aviation, and Organic, and as you may already guess, when your infantry units level up they effect the level of your characters infantry level as well. So instead of most RPGs where you level up to ? level and get all the points, you need to level up in ALL areas to gain maximum points.

Attributes: Tactics - This attribute has no inherent effect other than how many units you can use in any given squad. At first you can only control 6 units per squad, but for every 20 points in Tactics you gain 1 additional unit on the field (7 per squad etc.)

Clout - This attribute has a direct effect on your units upgrade abilities, having a high Clout allows you to gain better unit chassis as well as have your Organic units evolve at a more rapid rate. This attribute also gives you access to more advanced units sooner as well. With a high clout you can upgrade any given Unit A into a Unit A-MK2 or MK3 (up to MK10) which improves its speed, HP, and armor. This attribute also lets you "view" enemy units before you enter a battle only if you have more Clout than them.

Education - This attribute allows you to equip more advanced weaponry, armor and misc equipment onto your unit chassis much sooner than without. This also has an effect on the amount of damage your organics do as they level.

Mechanical Aptitude - This attribute effects the amount of weight your units can carry at a given time, which would normally limit what misc equipment and armor you can have on your units.

The game itself used to have a political system where Democratically players could choose an "Overlord" for their faction. Elected officials are granted special powers and can name other players to their council. Council members also have special abilities and can start up specialized groups known as "regiments". Players can also rise in power by raising his status in a regiment.

The planetary control system is everlasting and Capital Cities of each given Faction cannot fall under control of another faction, allowing an everlasting fight for control. If a player enters an area void of enemies, but is under control of an enemy faction, they must capture specific points on the map to gain control of the Province. Enemies can see the province under attack and then move to engage the enemy to try and regain control.

ummm...that is all i can really think of right now...its 1am, and ate too much peerza, i know i probably missed some game aspects, but that is the gist of it. If you have any questions, ask and i will most likely be able to answer them, i know almost everything about the game and used to be addicted to it for a long time...:P
« Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 10:28:41 am by Chronologix »

Offline SpeedD

• Machinae Prime
  • Canada, BITCH!
    • Egg!
Re: Free MMORTSRPG Shattered Galaxy (detailed)
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007, 05:19:06 pm »
Ah yes, Shattered Galaxy. I played this for a while a few years back, it's a rather fun game that can keep your attention for a while. The downside is that like most things "MMO" it's a grindfest, where you're doing the same thing over and over in hopes that you'll get better equipment. (Although....isn't that like every game?) But the game got annoying to me when I'd be in a fight where I'm WAY outclassed, like, the other guys have units I'm 2 years of gameplay away from owning, and I'm sitting there with a couple of little mechs getting my ass handed to me.

But a really fun game, definitely worth the download. And hell, you can't beat free :D
"What I felt was turned, in the tempest forged to hate. My soul I disconnected, and called out the Lightbringer to the gate."

Offline Outboundlight

• Renegade Anarchist Folk Hero
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Rogue World Asylum Seeker
    • No Art Films
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2007, 06:24:03 pm »
Yeah I second most of what Speedd says. Its a fun game but a bit of a grind... things can also get a little silly when theres a battlefield full of noobs and/or assholes with no coherent strategy and no matter what you do you will not win.

That being said, I still remember a few epic moments from this game. It feels so awesome when you deliver the decisive blow on a map, or when your in the shit and a bunch of your dudes log on to the map to save your ass.

Offline gaijin

• Hiding behind the couch
  • Community Supporter
  • "You sound like the Morning Star"
    • Motljus
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2007, 07:28:18 pm »
Downloaded, installed, tested and promptly uninstalled again. Not a bad game as such, just annoyingly imprecise controls and stunningly ugly graphics.
Oi, is this when I get a huge sig-image, start whining about "moar sid" and make nonsensical arguments to no good?

Lysix

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2007, 07:38:50 pm »
MMORTSRPG?
Massively Multiplyer Real Time Strategy Role Playing Game?

could be abbreviated to..i dont know..ermm..Online strategy game :P

doesn't look too bad though! graphics look a bit dated, but starcraft looks pretty lame but everyone loves it right?
..right?

Offline gaijin

• Community Supporter
    • Motljus
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2007, 08:36:28 pm »
MMORTSRPG?
Massively Multiplyer Real Time Strategy Role Playing Game?

could be abbreviated to..i dont know..ermm..Online strategy game :P

doesn't look too bad though! graphics look a bit dated, but starcraft looks pretty lame but everyone loves it right?
..right?

This looks far worse than starcraft ever did, though. Not as much in details and such, but the animations and movements are quite horrid.
Oi, is this when I get a huge sig-image, start whining about "moar sid" and make nonsensical arguments to no good?

Offline Lexx

• Ministry of Cynicism
  • Community Supporter
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2007, 08:55:49 pm »
Is the music any good?
DRAMA

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2007, 09:03:53 pm »
No.

I'm pretty sure a Shattered Galaxy thread was the first thing I ever posted in.
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Offline Chronologix

• SiteDeveloper
  • I am Canadian!
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2007, 11:01:37 pm »
Downloaded, installed, tested and promptly uninstalled again. Not a bad game as such, just annoyingly imprecise controls and stunningly ugly graphics.

it's not for everyone :P

I agree that the pathfinding is a bit awful, but the graphics i don't factor into what makes a fun game.

Offline gaijin

• Community Supporter
    • Motljus
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2007, 11:29:35 pm »

I agree that the pathfinding is a bit awful, but the graphics i don't factor into what makes a fun game.

I don't mind bad graphics either, if the gameplay makes up for it. But it simply doesn't. Pathfinding was horrid, and algorithms for determening what it is you actually click is even worse. Keep the mouse over an enemy unit, right-click for attack. Good in theory, but when the game decides that it's not actually an enemy under there, but just ordinary ground, it gets fucking annoying.

Offline Chronologix

• SiteDeveloper
  • I am Canadian!
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2007, 11:36:42 pm »

I don't mind bad graphics either, if the gameplay makes up for it. But it simply doesn't. Pathfinding was horrid, and algorithms for determening what it is you actually click is even worse. Keep the mouse over an enemy unit, right-click for attack. Good in theory, but when the game decides that it's not actually an enemy under there, but just ordinary ground, it gets fucking annoying.

I have never had that happen to me :/ Kinda strange actually. Does it bypass the enemy and just click nothing?

Offline gaijin

• Community Supporter
    • Motljus
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2007, 11:38:43 pm »

I have never had that happen to me :/ Kinda strange actually. Does it bypass the enemy and just click nothing?

Ignores the enemy, and moves my units into place to get sliced.

Offline Outboundlight

• Renegade Anarchist Folk Hero
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Rogue World Asylum Seeker
    • No Art Films
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2007, 02:45:41 am »
No.

I'm pretty sure a Shattered Galaxy thread was the first thing I ever posted in.

Yeah we definetely had a SG thread a few years back

Lysix

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2007, 02:57:11 am »

Offline Chronologix

• SiteDeveloper
  • I am Canadian!
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2007, 02:58:15 am »

Ignores the enemy, and moves my units into place to get sliced.

you could always just select your units and press A+Click, just like "attack move" like in most other RTS games where they engage everything moving up to the position. But that is strange, i have never had an issue with it bypassing enemies and not targeting them :/

But anyone still play? i might get back into it if there are actually other people playin.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 03:02:10 am by Chronologix »