Author Topic: World Affairs (NOT SEX)  (Read 13091 times)

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Happiness is Mandatory!
    • My homepage
Re: World Affairs (NOT SEX)
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2007, 03:32:27 pm »
What is it with Holland these days? Riots upon riots.

Or is this standard behaviour down there?
...why Torp was picked over you... HE'S JUST BETTER THAN YOU IN EVERY RESPECT. -SomethingGood
<Radicz0r> Torp is well prepared for universal destruction

[03:18:49] <WereVolvo> ARCTIC
[03:18:51] <WereVolvo> not arctic

Offline Ant

• Donated so refic can buy beer
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • It's personal text.
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2007, 04:24:20 pm »
It's ever since smoking has decreased in the Netherlands ;p
But if one day we meet together while I'm drunk, I promise you to draw a big group sex picture including a lot of forumites. :D

Ich bin ein Berliner, Frankfurter, Hamburger und Bonner

Offline cloudstrifex

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2007, 04:29:07 pm »

They stopped importing the California chronic. :(

Offline Ant

• Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • It's personal text.
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2007, 05:33:33 pm »

*slap* don't speak of such blashpemy!

*strokes his honey bear and purple haze* "It's okay my sweets, it's okay" *sob*
But if one day we meet together while I'm drunk, I promise you to draw a big group sex picture including a lot of forumites. :D

Offline cloudstrifex

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2007, 04:41:40 am »

*slap* don't speak of such blashpemy!

*strokes his honey bear and purple haze* "It's okay my sweets, it's okay" *sob*

You... ignorant fool! You think your purple haze is gonna last more than a week? *slap*

Offline Ant

• Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • It's personal text.
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2007, 10:59:16 am »
Why would I want it to last a week? That's one fucking long high ;D

Lysix

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2007, 01:01:03 pm »
It amuses me that, in English football, if a big team is not winning 90% of the time then the first one on the chopping block is the coach.

and gets paid off with £2 million! its insane.

Offline Ant

• Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • It's personal text.
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2007, 01:17:41 pm »
Broadband industry leaders are to meet ministers to discuss how to stop the UK dropping into the internet "slow lane".
More than half of all UK homes now have a broadband connection, at an average speed of four megabits a second (Mbps).

But the broadband summit will hear other countries are moving more quickly to build ultra-fast networks that can deliver speeds of as much as 100 Mbps.

BT - Britain's biggest broadband provider - has already warned that it may struggle to pay for an ultra-fast network.

But cable company Virgin says it will deliver 50 Mbps broadband by the end of next year - more than twice the maximum speed it currently offers.

Virgin's 50 Mbps service will be available to more than 70% of the 12.5m homes its cable network covers by the end of 2008, the firm said.

Glad I switched to Virgin now :) Very much hoping I'm within the 70% and maybe even free upgrades for those already using the max speed they can offer (as this is what I have ;p)

Any other of the Brits on Virgin, or BT?

Lysix

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2007, 01:18:47 pm »
our area can't get cable yet, and chances are we'll be last to receive it. much like the digital switchover which hits my town in 2012. :(

Offline Ant

• Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • It's personal text.
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2007, 01:20:44 pm »
That really sucks, you'll probably be out of there by then anyway, if you aren't... enjoy watching all your streets being dug up and builders replacing the copper wires :(

On a related note:

British engineers have been asked to build the payload for what will become one of the biggest commercial telecoms satellites ever launched.

The six-tonne satellite will deliver high-bandwidth services, such as mobile internet, to Europe, the Middle East, Asia and Africa.

The spacecraft allow people to set up virtual offices anywhere around the world - on land or at sea. Users get half-a-megabit connections through small, laptop-sized terminals. Customers include business travellers, disaster relief workers, journalists, and people in the petrochemical and maritime industries.

Would be pretty awesome, especially for relief workers for getting wired more funds or something when in 3rd world countries. Which brings me to the next piece of news...

The so-called $100 laptop project is working to boost education for children in the developing world.

The rugged, energy efficient laptops have been designed to be used in remote and environmentally challenging areas.

They are currently being tested around the world, including at the LEA primary school, Galadima, on the outskirts of Abuja, Nigeria.

Using statistics from the year 2000:

Population of Africa = 795,671,000 people

42.6% of which are children aged 15 and under

that means there are 18,677,723 children younger than 15 in Africa (couldn't get figures for 15-18 year olds).

So it would cost an estimated total of $79,567,100,000 to give every child a $100 laptop in Africa.

I wouldn't be suprised if the government saved money by giving dead children's laptops to live ones.

What ever happened to trying to get Africa some economic stability? Fire came before electricity (that was a metaphor ;/).
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 02:03:36 pm by Ant »

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2007, 01:38:59 pm »
*strokes optic fibre and laughs*

Offline WereVolvo

• IRC Love Butter supplier
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Volvot ulvoo kuun savuun!
    • My personal site
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2007, 02:05:28 am »
*strokes optic fibre and laughs*
* WereVolvo steals Radicz0r's optic fibre and runs away

anyways, random headline from one of norway's biggest news portals: " - This doctor secretly photographed naked patients"
<@Torp> I have seen your melted pussy!

Real Dwarfs wall themselves in once they are underground, and survive through incest and cat farming.

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2007, 09:56:14 pm »
Sort-of headlines:

-A middle-aged dude took people hostage in a Hillary Clinton campaign headquarters in New Hampshire, but everything was resolved peacefully.

-A massive snowstorm is headed into the Northeast. Hopefully going to cancel classes. :P
That's the problem with heroes, really. Their only purpose in life is to thwart others. They make no plans, develop no strategies. They react instead of act. Without villains, heroes would stagnate. Without heroes, villains would be running the world. Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic.

Offline Gravehill

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Dignity! Strength! Love!
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2007, 08:58:51 am »
Some local news that has caused nationwide debate :

- One municipal councilman, working as vice member on social- and healthcare board was doing some Christmas cleaning. He got tons of documents in his apartment and he wanted to clean them up bit. So what did he do? He took massive amount of public documents and lists and recycled them like any good citizen would have done. Only problem was that among those public documents were, by mistake, some records about supplementary benefit processes of certain individuals, records of custody processes of certain children, some highly confidential medical reports of certain individuals and so on. All of those were highly confidential. Apparently someone was doing some dug up among recycled papers as these documents were found and sent to local newspaper that made news about it (not about actual records but how they got lost). This is very serious mistake and not surprisingly quite a big news in Finland right now. Police is investigating matter.

- One salesman of Saunalahti (Finnish ISP and mobilephone operator) lost some of his records about clients to the recycle bin of paper. Apparently keeping such printed records about customers was against company policy but the fact is that such records did exist and they got lost. No one knows yet how much such records were lost and how many of them are still missing as only some of the papers were found from the ground near the recycle bin. These records contained logins and passwords of clients, mobile phone numbers, addresses, social security numbers and so on. Pretty hard stuff. This is not only big news locally but as nationwide too. But even bigger news this is to me since if I'm unlucky enough some of my information might be among those records as well. Crap.

So... "Kuopio - protecting your privacy" could be our city's new motto.
Random ramblings and furious feminine novels per versatility.

Offline WereVolvo

• IRC Love Butter supplier
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Volvot ulvoo kuun savuun!
    • My personal site
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2008, 12:41:09 am »
Sooo... time to dust off this thread again, methinks.
Recently, the norwegian police managed to identify and apprehend the so-called "Pocket Man", a notorious paedophile sex offender so named for his peculiar methods.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7184073.stm

I don't know what to say, really. If the numbers are correct (anywhere from 150 to 400 assaults), he's the worst child-molesting monster ever to emerge from whatever depraved pool that spawned him. I'm not a fan of capital and/or cruel and unusual punishment, like most Norwegians, but that's one person I think people would quite happily castrate with a blunt knife given the opportunity.
<@Torp> I have seen your melted pussy!

Real Dwarfs wall themselves in once they are underground, and survive through incest and cat farming.