Author Topic: Overworld album reviews  (Read 68552 times)

Offline Goshawk

• England damnit.
Re: Overworld album reviews
« Reply #240 on: February 03, 2008, 11:50:35 pm »
Oh okay, thanks. Haven't been around much.

Offline olyckan

• Fight to live, live to fight - Ashihara
« Reply #241 on: February 05, 2008, 02:03:45 pm »
So here comes my overworld review.. Well to be honest, I was really nervous for this album release. I really truly love Machinae Supremacy and I think the development they shown and the class of Reedemer album was 9 to 10 out of 10.. Great album. I often say that in total Machinae has more good songs then alot of mega star band like for instance - Offspring. It is totally unfair they cant afford to live of there music just yet.. Back to the review. Me and my girlfriend dropped bye Gordons place to dump his car wich he left the following day at my house. As payment for the service of driving his car back to his place I took the Overworld promo CD that was stuck in the cars CD-player.. "Gordon approved of this with a thumbs up".. So we listened through the whole album as we went from Luleå->Haparanda (girlfriend gets the need for Ikea and visiting her family now and then).. What we experienced during this trip was total music awesomeness... I mean where do you begin. This album has 2-3 Worldclass domination song ala (Winner takes it all bye ABBA, Thriller Michael Jackson). Thats how good I really think it is. Skin, Edge and Pearl, Dark City... its just simply to good to be true. Tbh i cant say that i dont like any of the songs, they are all good with a few diamonds in there to. No worries this album deliverd and now im looking forward to the release party at Kulturens hus this saturday. May I add how excellent the lyrics are. Machinae totally delivers, there lyrics infact do have a meaning... Overworld album, same as reedemer 9,5/10 no doubt... The machinae supremacy bag of goodies just got alot bigger...
aka: mtribe][vortex
seriously, RYU IRL!

Offline Ghostek

« Reply #242 on: May 05, 2008, 08:22:44 pm »
Firstly, I apologize for this act of topic necromancy, but I finally got my hands on a brand-new copy of Overworld, so you can understand my enthusiasm ;)

Back to the topic, the only phrase that comes to my mind is "f***ing awesome" (well, actually it's Polish equivalent but nevermind). I just love the balance between SID and guitars, the epicness of songs like Truth of Tomorrow or Skin, and, well, the whole f***ing awesomeness of the whole album (I'm not going to make a good poet, I know)
The only thing I miss is some song with ear-raping riff like Kaori Stomp or Empire, that you could listen to out loud and drive your neighbours mad, but I understand that you can't have everything ;)
If I had to choose my favorites, they would probably be Violator and Truth of Tomorrow, but I'd rather need to listen to the album a bit more.

Offline Bocom

• SiteDeveloper
  • I'm in despair!
    • Woah there!
« Reply #243 on: May 05, 2008, 09:25:18 pm »
Firstly, I apologize for this act of topic necromancy, but I finally got my hands on a brand-new copy of Overworld, so you can understand my enthusiasm ;)

Back to the topic, the only phrase that comes to my mind is "f***ing awesome" (well, actually it's Polish equivalent but nevermind). I just love the balance between SID and guitars, the epicness of songs like Truth of Tomorrow or Skin, and, well, the whole f***ing awesomeness of the whole album (I'm not going to make a good poet, I know)
The only thing I miss is some song with ear-raping riff like Kaori Stomp or Empire, that you could listen to out loud and drive your neighbours mad, but I understand that you can't have everything ;)
If I had to choose my favorites, they would probably be Violator and Truth of Tomorrow, but I'd rather need to listen to the album a bit more.

We don't care for necoposting in these kind of threads. :)
This quote is out of context:
<Bocom> I'm also going to see Quantum of Solace later
<Syndicated> Bocom: it is fucking scary
(@Radicz0r) Fuck! Its friday, and you wankers are talking about PIE. Pie! What the hell?

Offline WereVolvo

• IRC Love Butter supplier
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Volvot ulvoo kuun savuun!
    • My personal site
« Reply #244 on: May 05, 2008, 09:35:34 pm »
Aye, it's better than starting an entirely new thread when the old one isn't that old, to be honest :)
<@Torp> I have seen your melted pussy!

Real Dwarfs wall themselves in once they are underground, and survive through incest and cat farming.

Offline Ghostek

« Reply #245 on: May 07, 2008, 05:32:10 pm »
Well, I found it actually quite hard to find some fresh theads in which I'd like to post ;] I'll just need to come around more often.

Offline Schattenjaeger

• Somewhere inside I'd like to find...
« Reply #246 on: May 09, 2008, 06:28:35 am »
I have some opinions somewhere else, and while I will eventually write out a full song-by-song review like I (and many others) did for Redeemer, for now I'd like to make one humorous note.

Having played Star Control 2 (now somewhat better known as The Ur-Quan Masters), when listening to Conveyor I automatically replace "humans" with "hunams".

"Stampeding hunams are everywhere"  ;D
Your approval fills me with shame.

Offline Carstuar

• Violator
« Reply #247 on: May 09, 2008, 07:09:09 pm »
I'm sorry to report that I'm a little sick of Overworld now :(.
Guess I listened it to death.

I'm waiting for the next album, listening to some of the old web releases and Tom Waits ;D.
I seek only where to find you

Offline Laser.T

• 日本人ですか?
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #248 on: May 09, 2008, 07:11:15 pm »
I'm sorry to report that I'm a little sick of Overworld now :(.
Guess I listened it to death.

That's always the case, I learned my lesson a while back. Now I systematically deny extended periods of listening to a brand new album on repeat, so that it may filter into my regular daily listening cycle thus allowing me to enjoy it for longer.

Offline rafael.pereira

• My DeviantART page
« Reply #249 on: May 11, 2008, 11:25:36 pm »
Since this thread is alive again, I'd like to make two little considerations after listening it for a while too. If I say something that has been said before, well, I read part of this thread, but in case I'm wrong sorry  ;D

Anyway, I've noticed a small difference between the leak and the album version of Stand. The sid arpeggio after the 1st chorus in the leak starts right after the chorus then it stops on the 2nd part. On the album release, the sound comes and goes on 02:17 and 02:23.

As for the 2nd consideration, it's more of a suggestion to the band. Both Redeemer and DXM have some nice backvocals, specially on tracks like Insidious and Reanimator. In overworld the backvocals are way simplier, so I think it kinda wastes the potential of some choruses and bridges. Of course, they're great already but that's a suggestion for the next album =)

Offline Carstuar

• Violator
« Reply #250 on: May 12, 2008, 02:15:13 am »
Anyway, I've noticed a small difference between the leak and the album version of Stand. The sid arpeggio after the 1st chorus in the leak starts right after the chorus then it stops on the 2nd part. On the album release, the sound comes and goes on 02:17 and 02:23.

Yeah, the leak is crap! I strongly encourage everyone to buy the album :P
I seek only where to find you

Offline Schattenjaeger

• Somewhere inside I'd like to find...
« Reply #251 on: June 17, 2008, 09:52:06 am »
I did intially play the album to death. However it's one of my primary choices for listening in the car or when mowing the lawn as it's one of the few things I own that sounds RIGHT at its normal tempo. I know I've mentioned it before, but I listen to almost everything at least 7% faster than it was recorded. Some stuff even faster (anything and everything by The Cars, for instance, gets an automatic 30% speed increase).

Even so, there are 3 songs on the album I avoid at all costs. Overworld, Skin, and Sid Icarus.

Overworld I never liked much. Even when it was up on myspace (and I subsequently streamed those songs to mp3s) I didn't listen to it much. Mostly the chorus I don't like so much on that one. Sid Icarus, the lyrics I never could get into at all. And Skin... not a bad song, but a youtube video of that song set to the Star Wars prequilogy killed it. I cannot listen to the song now without picturing that vid, and it is SO the wrong vid for the song...
Your approval fills me with shame.

Lysix

« Reply #252 on: June 17, 2008, 10:23:36 pm »
Even so, there are 3 songs on the album I avoid at all costs.

you make it sound like somebody is chasing you down the road with a giant set of speakers playing overworld. nobodys making you listen, and the songs, even if they're to your dislike, aren't that bad and you know it [: