Author Topic: Assassins Creed  (Read 6389 times)

Offline Drakonis

• Fighter from Ninne
  • Community Supporter
  • "I am mine own Redeemer."
Assassins Creed
« on: November 13, 2007, 05:02:48 pm »
Assassins Creed is out (at least here in the states)!

Anyone planning on picking up a copy or already has? Please, no spoilers in the thread! I've been watching this game a bit and it looks like tasty delicious fun. I may pick up my copy today.

My main fear is the game will have very low replay value, but I'm certain its a good 12-15 hours of solid entertainment at this point. If it gets boring after that, I spose many singleplayer games do.

Offline Caranfin

Re: Assassins Creed
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 06:52:23 pm »
I've followed this game for a while, but I have my doubts about it. So far, the only trailer I liked has been the Knights Templar one. All of the gameplay videos (that I've seen, at least) have revolved around the same principle of getting to a target, sticking the cool wrist-dagger-thing into them, and then running away. At some point killing a bunch of guards in a silly fighting scene which involves Altair kicking the guards' asses one by one while the rest kindly stand aside and only attack him one at a time. The parkour looks OK, though, but I wouldn't really buy a game just for that.

I would really like this game to be good. If anyone buys this game and finds that there actually are cool things in it, like for example ways to kill a target without the whole goddamn city seeing you fighting or running away from a bunch or guards, please let me know. I'd hate to miss out on an excellent game, especially an excellent medieval stealth/action/whatever game.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 06:55:26 pm by Caranfin »

Offline SomethingApt

• Machinae Prime
  • [this space for rent]
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 07:16:46 pm »
I'll be picking it up when it releases here in the UK on friday, looking forward to it.

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 12:26:17 am »
This game is a silver slice of heaven. I have been waiting for this since june.

*droo0o0o0ol.*

Offline Kobi

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2007, 12:30:10 am »
I know its not good to voice an opinion based on just trailers but I got the feeling that all of this has been done before. Better or not I'll leave saying until I've tried it myself. I've heard the name of this game more times then I can count but I still have not understood what the fuzz is about? Looks like a more advanced version of Thief to me. Combat looked kinda goofy on the gameplay trailer I watched. Badies just waiting in line for you to finnish the current one. We'll see when they release a demo.

Offline dezo

• ex Defence Against the Dark Arts
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2007, 01:56:23 am »
Out in sweden this friday.. I'm definitly going to get myself a copy =)

Offline SomethingApt

• Machinae Prime
  • [this space for rent]
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2007, 01:33:51 pm »
It's had a couple of shoddy reviews now. Apparently it starts off amazing but soon gets really repetitive. Still think i'll pick up a copy though...

Offline Caranfin

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2007, 02:49:23 pm »
Looks like a more advanced version of Thief to me.
Not really. I have not seen much stealth, let alone actual sneaking, in the trailers for this game. Which is a shame, really. I'd really like to see a good modern stealth-game once in a while. Playing Thief: The Dark Project and Thief: The Metal Age plus fanmissions again and again is getting a bit repetitive...

Oh, well, back to waiting for the release of The Dark Mod, then.

Offline harvey danger

• Machinae Prime
  • Werd
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2007, 05:33:13 am »
It's had a couple of shoddy reviews now. Apparently it starts off amazing but soon gets really repetitive. Still think i'll pick up a copy though...

Apparently a reviewer has placed the game in "the top 5 let-downs of all time". No replay value may make this a rental...
That's the problem with heroes, really. Their only purpose in life is to thwart others. They make no plans, develop no strategies. They react instead of act. Without villains, heroes would stagnate. Without heroes, villains would be running the world. Heroes have morals. Villains have work ethic.

Offline evilcandybag

• of Fire
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Armoured Tanks of Mass Destruction
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2007, 11:04:05 am »
If you are worried about the bad reviews, read this: http://www.penny-arcade.com/2007/11/14#1195073220.
"Actually, wooden stakes are for vampires. Wooden steaks are for vegetarians."

Offline Bates

• Forum Legend
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • Bateman 2.0
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2007, 11:01:55 pm »
Picked up a copy on friday. Didn't have much time to play (work and the fact I also bought Super Mario Galaxy).

I'm maybe two to three hours into the game. So far it's pure awesomeness. Especially the story element some reviewers consider a spoiler gives the game a nice angle.

Offline WereVolvo

• IRC Love Butter supplier
  • Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Volvot ulvoo kuun savuun!
    • My personal site
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2007, 02:53:29 am »
I'm still quite excited about this game... still waiting in gleeful anticipation for it to be released on PC. I like to make up my own mind about games, rather than relying on sell-out piece of shit game reviewers.
<@Torp> I have seen your melted pussy!

Real Dwarfs wall themselves in once they are underground, and survive through incest and cat farming.

Offline SomethingApt

• Machinae Prime
  • [this space for rent]
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2007, 04:16:40 am »
Well i picked it up on friday, and i've played it quite a bit... here's my thoughts.

First impressions? Disappointment. I think the the plot is quite embarrassingly bad, the voice acting (main character, in particular) is terrible, and throughout the beginning of the game i was thinking "wow, i can see why this got some 7s".

I kept going though, and i sure am glad that i did. As soon as you're given free reign to move around a big city planning an assassination, the game is just immense. I don't think i will ever get bored of just aimlessly climbing tall towers and running across roof-tops. Annoying plot aside, this game just oozes cool.

Offline Caranfin

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2007, 09:45:32 pm »
Got this game as a birthday present last Sunday and finished it today, so I thought I'd revive this thread. Since, obviously, you all want to know what I think of the game. RIght?

I'm positively surprised. Very much so. Scouting the assassination locations, gathering information, planning an escape route, and then perfectly executing the plan was really fun and didn't seem too repetitive to me. The information gathering could have used a bit more work, though. Especially interrogation seemed really unfinished. I'm also a bit annoyed by the flag-finding side quests. I mean I can't not try to find them all, now can I? The cities are really well made and exploring them is fun and all, but they are also huge. And the flags are quite small. I suspect searching for the last flag in a city like Jerusalem will kill me with frustration.

Much like most of the game, combat is a lot more fun than I expected it to be. Most of the moves are either really impractical or just plain stupid, but it's really fun. After you remember the counter attack, that is. It's just a boring, mindless, chore before that. And it gets better when you get more moves. It is much too easy, though. And there's too much of it. Why should Altair be able to kill dozens of enemies in a fight? It would make the game much more enjoyable and challenging if you actually had to think about what you're going to do a bit more instead of just having the possibility of totally screwing up stealth on a mission and still emerging victorious after putting a whole castleful of knights to the sword.

Also, the parkour and climbing is a lot better than I expected, even if Altair seems to be completely unable to vault over obstacles even as low as hip-height, which makes trying to quickly skip over a low wall a bit awkward.