Author Topic: Nurses on strike - Finland declares force labour law?  (Read 5591 times)

Offline mumppis

• I Know The mumppis
Re: Nurses on strike - Finland declares force labour law?
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2007, 05:34:21 pm »
i hope they get a raise but their demands are fucking stupid so i hope they get pwned

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Happiness is Mandatory!
    • My homepage
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2007, 08:49:03 pm »
How so?
...why Torp was picked over you... HE'S JUST BETTER THAN YOU IN EVERY RESPECT. -SomethingGood
<Radicz0r> Torp is well prepared for universal destruction

[03:18:49] <WereVolvo> ARCTIC
[03:18:51] <WereVolvo> not arctic

Offline Drakonis

• Fighter from Ninne
  • Community Supporter
  • "I am mine own Redeemer."
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2007, 09:41:48 pm »
That's terrible man. I hope someone comes to their senses.

No one should be driven from their home, but I hope if this passes you have options. A forced labour law (and one that can affect the retired) is rediculous. A promise was made, they should have just given them the bloody increased pay. Doing this is an insult to the nurses such as yourself who remained and worked.

Offline Gravehill

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Dignity! Strength! Love!
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2007, 10:28:03 pm »
Reason for such attitude is mainly because media is against our raise : they claim that our demand is too much. That's against facts, in the matter of fact. Some facts :

- All financial expert I've read of have declared that Finland DOES have enough money for that raise.
- Doctors got 17% raise - again this year - without any negotiations while nurses got 12%
- That 17% of doctor is 600 euros, 24% of nurse is only 500 euros.
- If you think how Fortum (government's energy company) shared 500 millions for some 350 people and government "generously" gave 150 millions to share amongst teachers, social workers, nurses and other community workers (430 000 people) claiming that they don't have more money to share...
- Alarming high number of nurses don't last until retirement. Over 60% is thinking about leaving nursing. Too many nurses broke their body or mind on this business. Over 12% of nurses suffer from work related violence. Only 80% of those who are still capable to work are on business somehow related to health care. Quite many of them work at medicine representators or at private sector : they pay better and working conditions are generally better.
- I give one example about how well nurses do : out of my class only 60% did finish school. It was hard school and reality about nursing business is everything else than rosy. Some people did notice that only at the school... It takes strong head, stomach and nerve to treat patients under constant stress. Out of us who finished some work abroad and quite many has already changed their job.
- Nurses have always settled for lower raises than other industries. If now is not our turn when it is? Those who sit on throne gave their promise and now they are eating their words.
- There's not enough nurses even now. In Finland many wards must be closed at summer time because there's no nurses to treat patients. Why in hell anyone sane would come to business where you must do very demanding work at shitty working times and lousy paycheck? Whole health care is going FUBAR more and more every year. When I came to business work was hard but tolerable. Atleast I was not criminal if I wanted to quit my job.

Meh... I'm just too tired of all this shit. It seems probable that me and some of my relatives put up a family company next year (if things go well)... There really is no sense to continue as nurse as things has gone like this. I did study to nurse because I wanted to learn about human life and mind, because I wanted to help people and make a difference when ever I can. It was all about values and will to help... When things go like this I have nothing to believe in anymore. I feel betrayed by government. Yeah, I'm talking about this law, not broken promises... those shitheads lie whenever they can so there's nothing new there.
Random ramblings and furious feminine novels per versatility.

Ankle

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2007, 12:23:06 pm »
If they didn't do this with essential services such as healthcare everyone would be up in arms that they can't get proper medical treatment. If it was teachers and education then parents who have to work would be up in arms because they can't dump their kids off and work to make money to survive. Etc.

Interestingly enough I just watched the Babylon 5 episode the other day or so about the dock workers going on a illegal strike and essentially halting all trade on the station because they were over worked and the equipment subpar as well as salary issues. EarthGov enacted their act to force everyone back to work and arrest those who would not by military force. In any case the solution to the problem was rather amusing. Anyone who hasn't watch all of Babylon 5 should do so, by far the best show ever made on this planet.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 12:26:52 pm by Einkoro »

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Happiness is Mandatory!
    • My homepage
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2007, 12:27:24 pm »
Yeah, in other words, people are stupid and short-sighted. The long-term effect of this law will be less nurses, worse healthcare. It's quite simple.

And to all the nurses of Finland: Flee to Norway. We have a shortage of nurses too. I'm sure you'll get jobs here as well. :)
...why Torp was picked over you... HE'S JUST BETTER THAN YOU IN EVERY RESPECT. -SomethingGood
<Radicz0r> Torp is well prepared for universal destruction

[03:18:49] <WereVolvo> ARCTIC
[03:18:51] <WereVolvo> not arctic

Offline Gravehill

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Dignity! Strength! Love!
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2007, 04:08:40 pm »
And to all the nurses of Finland: Flee to Norway. We have a shortage of nurses too. I'm sure you'll get jobs here as well. :)
Yesterday I talked with one of my class mates with that thing... If I were single or did not have child I would. I would not be surprised if there were quite a lot Finnish nurses in Norway soon.

Some news about situation : Estonian nurses support Finnish strike of nurses so government cannot quick-fix situation with Estonian nurses like they planned to do. Also Toimihenkilöunioni (those who make bureaucracy and information to flow in hospitals) has told that it supports the strike. If they go on support-strike there's no nurses and other infrastructure freezes as well. Which would paralyze everything totally.

I hope that this situation is over as soon as possible. I hope it that for patients sake, my kids sake (he is waiting to be operated 30.11. which likely will be postponed because of strike) and for my own sake... Working is difficult enough without strikes and fights.

Not that it would matter in perspective of my career plans. If things in nursing business won't get better in whole even bigger salary won't keep me on this trade.
Random ramblings and furious feminine novels per versatility.

Offline Ant

• Donated so refic can buy beer
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • It's personal text.
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2007, 04:16:55 pm »
Sounds like it's not going to end soon... end well anyway :(

Goodluck to ye Grave and all other nurses in the Fin land.
But if one day we meet together while I'm drunk, I promise you to draw a big group sex picture including a lot of forumites. :D

Ich bin ein Berliner, Frankfurter, Hamburger und Bonner