Author Topic: So, Cyberpunk?  (Read 10716 times)

Offline Ak!mbo

• -=CYNiC=-
So, Cyberpunk?
« on: October 22, 2007, 03:51:43 pm »
I got into Machinae Supremacy after someone recommending me their music on a cyberpunk forum.
Just wondering how other fans feel their music corelates to cyberpunk themes and all.
I know my mum has at least heard of MaSu before, which surprised me at first, but then I figured there was some cyber culture link, she's heavily into net art and what not.
Also, a general discussion about cyberpunk would be nice :P
I just got Akira Club and GitS 1.5 which are both awesome, in entirely different ways.
People say cyberpunk died away in the eightees, which may be partially true, but there's a big boom of Japanese and Korean cyerbpunk at the moment; Masamune Shirow's older comic books have been pulled off the shelves, I predict it's because they're being given new covers, and new formats to match the GitS books, and that they will be released with the new Appleseed movie.
Vexille is another japanese CG animated movie due to be released soon-ish, and of course Blade Runner: Final Cut is being relesed in a few days time.
The Halfilife 2 mod "Dystopia" is becoming quite popular and is filled to the rim with referrances to Gibson and Sterling and what have you, and there's another cyberpunk mod, NeoTokyo, I think, in development.
I think part of the revived interest in the old eightees dystopian near futururism derives from the fact that life is coming closer to the hyper realistic predictions of cyberpunk novels and movies, interest in transhumanism has exploded, AI is getting "smarter" and more advanced, there are huge developments in robotics and "soft" robots, which aids in prostetics / cybernetics.
Corporatins are visibly taking a larger part of our lives and have more control of society than they used to, the biggest ones are ever growing bigger and compete or buy out the smaller ones.
Out streets are dominated by the glowing colourful signs of franchises and give the streets of every town a very uniform look; Coca Cola ads and Seven Elevens on every corner.
Any thoughts? :D

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
Re: So, Cyberpunk?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 02:29:38 am »
You're my new favourite poster. Shit.

re: Machsup and cyberpunk, I don't see it anywhere except the song "The Wired", which is based off of Serial Experiments Lain.

but yeah. cyberpunk, transhumanism, let me have your kids or somethin.

by 'have' I mean 'take', not 'bear'.
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Offline Einkoro

• Machinae Prime
  • ~tima
    • http://www.janpingel.com/
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 03:51:47 am »
The world needs more cyberpunk games like Deus Ex.

<Ankle> I'll probably loose my virginity to a fully functional android in the future
<Shinano> never speak to me again
<Shinano> ever
<Ankle> how do you know you haven't sexed one yet?
<Ankle> they could be anywhere!
<Shinano> this is not blade runner

Who knew that conversation was so close to reality: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21271545/
"Don't believe anyone when they tell you irony is just a literary convention. It's a universal constant, like the coefficient of gravity." - Alfred Bester

Offline Viherminttu

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 05:35:05 am »
i see absolutely no link between MaSu and the cyberpunk genre except in very abstract ways.
<WereVolvo> moar sid! new album sux! music vid sux! machinae are sellouts! where i find crappack lulz? when is page getting updated? gief moar free songs plx. zomg plz come to the US/UK/Mars/Alpha Centauri! when r u guyz gonna do a tour? i think u shuld come to this festival it wuld be gr8!

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007, 05:38:50 am »
The world needs more cyberpunk games like Deus Ex.

<Ankle> I'll probably loose my virginity to a fully functional android in the future
<Shinano> never speak to me again
<Shinano> ever
<Ankle> how do you know you haven't sexed one yet?
<Ankle> they could be anywhere!
<Shinano> this is not blade runner

Who knew that conversation was so close to reality: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21271545/
replicatin' in ur replicants
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Offline Ak!mbo

• -=CYNiC=-
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 03:23:05 pm »
Well, you could say their approach to releasing large parts of their works freely online, mixing up old video game style music with hard rock and old "retired" tech (read: SID) and having a DIY approach to making and recording albums kind'a sort'a brings them closer to cyberpunk than most bands, and when listening to their music I definitely get a feel of the infamous EDGE.
However, I really just wanted a general cyberpunk discussion running.
I'm thinking of picking up a few Sterling book sonce I get my pay check next week, if anyone would care to recommend anything at all, I'd be more than happy.
I've read all the Gibson I could get my hands on (read: all his works) and I'm pretty loaded on Stephenson, Phillip K. Dick and related stuff.
Anyone into this stuff would be highly recommended most of Douglas Coupland's works, especially Microserfs. It's contemporary, but at least cyerbpunk related.

Offline gaijin

• Hiding behind the couch
  • Community Supporter
  • "You sound like the Morning Star"
    • Motljus
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 04:02:34 pm »
By Bruce Sterling, i highly recommend "Schismatic" and "The Differance engine". Although "The Differance engine" is more steampunk than anything else, it's -really- good. Also, grab "The crystal express". It's a collection of short stories, also really worth reading.

Also suggest you check out my age-old photographic-addition to the cyberpunk-genre. ;)

http://joakim.deviantart.com/art/quot-Cypher-quot-4767410
Oi, is this when I get a huge sig-image, start whining about "moar sid" and make nonsensical arguments to no good?

Offline Fallout

• Machinae Prime
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2007, 06:33:34 pm »
Talking of steampunk, check this out: http://steampunkworkshop.com/lcd.shtml

Offline Viherminttu

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2007, 09:13:57 am »
Oooh mods.

I'd love for there to be a modding discussion in the appropriate forum.
* Annie Oakley goes to find some stuff to link to if she creates the thread
<WereVolvo> moar sid! new album sux! music vid sux! machinae are sellouts! where i find crappack lulz? when is page getting updated? gief moar free songs plx. zomg plz come to the US/UK/Mars/Alpha Centauri! when r u guyz gonna do a tour? i think u shuld come to this festival it wuld be gr8!

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2007, 01:19:26 pm »
I'd love for there to be a modding discussion in the appropriate forum.
... is this not the appropriate forum?

Offline Viherminttu

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2007, 02:17:10 pm »
No. Case modding and other such discussion should go in the Technology forum, should they not?

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2007, 09:47:33 pm »
I wouldn't put it there, but my word isn't law, so whatever.

MDX

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2007, 09:48:49 pm »
Where do you want it, baby.

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2007, 10:39:06 pm »
It's too dirty to say.

Offline Ak!mbo

• -=CYNiC=-
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2007, 02:22:49 am »
Oh shit..
If I hated the difference engine and haven't even finished it, should I steer away from Sterling in general?
I know it was co-written by Gibson, but still, I was not amused..