Author Topic: Linux?  (Read 22318 times)

Lysix

Linux?
« on: October 20, 2007, 06:56:56 pm »
i downloaded ubuntu (the newest version).
before i even attempt installing this, what do other people think about it? is it worth trying out?

Offline SweZor

• Keeper of the SweZword
    • A blog devoid of activity.
Re: Linux?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2007, 08:16:22 pm »
I think it is. Though I prefer Kubuntu over Ubuntu (the K means it has KDE as desktop instead of Gnome, but it's no biggie).

It's a good OS, and the Linux Dist that has the biggest chance of ever getting any mainstream desktop use. As long as you don't manage to fuck something up, that thing is stable as a rock, a great backup for when Windows decides to stop working. (This is what I have it for currently.)

Lysix

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2007, 09:11:38 pm »
well, i installed it. now its kicked vista in the crotch and doesnt even show it as a boot option.
any idea how i can reverse this major cockup?

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2007, 09:27:12 pm »
well, i installed it. now its kicked vista in the crotch and doesnt even show it as a boot option.
any idea how i can reverse this major cockup?

throw your pc out of your window, reassemble parts with glue, do some intervenal drugs and chase rabbits.

Honestly? Flash your bios?

Offline SweZor

• Keeper of the SweZword
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2007, 09:53:11 pm »
Well.... This is quite tricky, and I can't really remember how to do it, but here goes:

In order to be able to help you in the first place,

Now: There is two ways to do this.
Option 1. You fix the bootmanager that comes with Linux (GRUB, most likely, could be LILO though.) so it has Vista in it's list.
Option 2. You just restore the original Vista bootmanager (no Linux).

for Option 1 I need to know where and how you installed it. On a seperate HDD? on a seperate partition on the same HDD as Vista, or on the same partition? (for the love of god, please don't let it be the last one...). It would also help if you would provide the partition table for your hard drives, it's is kinda hard to figure out though, especially if you're not a computer wiz.

Option 2: If Vista works the same way as XP did, all you have to do is insert the install CD/DVD and run the recovery console. use the commands: "fixboot" and "fixmbr" (without quotes) and it should be fixed.

Lysix

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2007, 10:25:21 pm »
i could've sworn i installed it onto the smaller partition. but then i think it decided to install it alongside vista on the same one (the "HDD" linux is showing me on the desktop is the identical partition where vista lives).
atm, im not too fussed if linux goes. could i just get vista back to boot and destroy linux for the time being?
and yeah, its GRUB. if i could fix the bastard so it shows vista, id be happy too i guess.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2007, 10:26:56 pm by Alix [: »

Lysix

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2007, 11:26:36 pm »
okay, so i deleted GRUB, and the linux partition.
now th pc just stalls on the bootup. im pretty certain thats because it has no MBR, so it doesnt know what to do.
ive no idea how to reinstate that. the vista disc doesnt have a recovery console. and command promt does sfa. i cant install xp or vista onto a partition because it says its missing "nessecary system files". there IS a recovery console feature on the xp disc, but its a pirated copy so it kept asking me to insert some disk.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2007, 11:34:34 pm by Alix [: »

Offline SweZor

• Keeper of the SweZword
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2007, 01:24:50 am »
That's not really the best course of action... I have actually never used Vista, so I dunno how to get the boot manager back. As I said, in XP all you had to do was insert the CD and run the fixboot and fixmbr commands in the recovery console... I've asked around but nobody knows how to do this on Vista.

The only possible fix for your computer that I can come up with right now is to reinstall Vista on the other partition and move over all of your stuff there from the broken installation and then reinstall all programs..

You could try googling around though, there should be something in there to fix the MBR without having to reinstall the whole OS...

EDIT: forgot to tell you that if you would still have had GRUB, you could pretty easily add Vista to the config file, I just don't know exactly where it is located and how to actually add it, but I'm pretty sure that the file itself contains comments that tells you how, if you can actually find the file. Doesn't matter anymore though.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 01:27:03 am by SweZor »

Lysix

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2007, 01:28:35 am »
i reinstalled linux because it appears to be the only method of action that allows my pc to boot. so all is not lost!

Offline dezo

• ex Defence Against the Dark Arts
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2007, 04:38:26 am »
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

This is teh shits if you want to rescue discs or diagnose problems.
I think that you need to: step1 - Rebuild MBR. step2 - rebuild broken sectors on disc. step3 - Find and apply the backup FAT, or if you can't find the backup, try to find and repair the main FAT.
After that, insert Vista DVD and choose the repair option if you don't get the start from HD option.
gl hf!

Or better yet, go all in for Ubuntu =)

I installed Ubuntu on my mothers laptop and even she can use it easily ;)
Ubuntu is teh shitz!
(and my mother is teh l33t)

Lysix

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2007, 01:13:48 pm »
i admitted defeat, wiped my entire HDD and installed vista.
never using linux again :P

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2007, 04:25:52 pm »
That's the saddest story I ever heard.
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

Lysix

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2007, 06:55:13 pm »
no u

Offline Kobi

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2007, 06:26:19 am »
i admitted defeat, wiped my entire HDD and installed vista.
never using linux again :P

Shit happens. Linux has its advantages but from all the dists I've tested none of them are actually a challanger to Windows or MacOS. Main reason is probably games and compatibility with other things. Linux has one big advantage though and thats boot CD's like knoppix: http://www.knoppix.org/ I'd never go to a LAN or ever not keep this CD close. While ubuntu has a live CD to this one gives you a lot more freedom and usage. Best way ever to recover files on a crashed system.

Offline yas‮

• The laziest one.
  • I believe in respawn.
    • Me on SoundCloud
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2007, 01:36:51 am »
OMG Alix JOO R TEH NUB

ju open teh terminal in ubuntu, den type:

sudo gedit /boot/grub/grub.conf

then you just add a line to point grub into the windows partition, save the file, reboot, voila.