Author Topic: Oil Crisis  (Read 13069 times)

Offline Trezker

• Machinae Prime
  • I don't eat food!
    • Trezker is a programmer
Re:Oil Crisis
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2004, 10:29:47 am »
Well, after futurama, I watched Star Trek - Deep Space Nine from 9-16, well, some of it was pretty foggy, the lack of food made me feel a bit bad in the afternoon.

Now I've rested and fed properly though.

You have the power of TIME ON YOUR HANDS. -Laser
"Oh come on Trez, everyone knows you're sexy" -Spider Chii

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Happiness is Mandatory!
    • My homepage
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2004, 04:13:40 pm »
I think many of you people didn't read the link I gave you.

Alternative energy sources:

Well, we got a lot of them, but the problem is that they're in need of research and construction to be used. But to do this, we need oil. 85% of our energy usage comes from fossil fuels.

"Solar power

Solar power currently supplies .006% of global energy supply.  As a replacement for fossil fuels, it suffers from several deficiencies:

1.  Energy from solar power varies constantly with weather or day/night.

2.  Not practical for transportation needs.  While a handful of small, experimental, solar powered vehicles have been built, solar power is unsuited for planes, boats, cars, tanks, etc. . .

3.  Solar cannot be adapted to produce pesticides, fertilizer, or plastics.

4.  Solar is susceptible to the effects of global climate change."

As for ethanol, according to the linked website it requires about 70% more energy to make than you get out of it. This sounds quite reasonable, though I haven't checked it out.

But now I got to go...

...why Torp was picked over you... HE'S JUST BETTER THAN YOU IN EVERY RESPECT. -SomethingGood
<Radicz0r> Torp is well prepared for universal destruction

[03:18:49] <WereVolvo> ARCTIC
[03:18:51] <WereVolvo> not arctic

Offline Gravehill

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
  • Dignity! Strength! Love!
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2004, 05:10:48 pm »
Like I said oilcompanies have tried to prevent research of alternative powersources. If the shit hit the fan someday, I'm only happy for it. There is always alternatives for human life. As long as we get food (yes, you can grow food without fertilizers, antibiotics or genetics. It's better that way. NATURE is full of food unless you live in city and have forgotten natural way of life) and medical healthcare there is no problem. There is lots of expertize in world how to do healthcare in poor conditions with little or no medicins at all.

I'm not afraid of these things. What I'm afraid is how nature will live. We are alive 'cause of nature, not 'cause oil. If oil ends it means no end to life. Our way of life, maybe but like I say there is other ways of life too. If nature ends, all life ends (us too). So, as long as my friend nature does fine, I'm fine. I know how to use carbonmonoxide, alcohol and solarpower to maintain little electricity for me and my family. And electricity has been around only so little time. And cars... We could drive less. Nature would do better if we would drive less. If oil ends, business systems collapse. I don't care how megacorporations end up. They suffer most. My neighbours baker would do fine without oil. Grain for those breads are produced locally anyways. Best thing one can do is buy products that are produced locally or with natures methods (or with "fair trade" anyways).

I do buy movies and CD's... They use very much oil to produce one disc, I know. Those are things I might miss if oil ends but I can live without them. Humankind has lived several thousands of years without electricity, movies and CD's. Sure, lots of people might die if oil ends (for diseases and such) but there are so much people dying today for same reasons anyway. Kids, women and elder people in many parts of Africa for example. How we are different than those people? Why we start crying only when the hammer hits our fingers?

I don't care about ending of oil. We have not shared it equally anyways. If we cannot be brothers and sisters and do what is right then why we should think that nature would treat us differently than we do to nature and to eachother? It's good that people are starting to see what we have done wrong already but like that article stated out : some people have seen it decades ago.
Random ramblings and furious feminine novels per versatility.

Smeagol

Re: Oil Crisis
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2005, 10:38:11 pm »
The threat of crude oil at $60 a barrel continues to loom over markets, as oil prices hit new records on Tuesday.

US light crude pushed its way to $59.70 a barrel on Tuesday, breaking records for the second day in a row.

Or in graphical form:

And so it begins. Looks like that site was right...

Offline L'homme magique

• Machinae Prime
  • Stay Calm
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2005, 10:42:30 pm »
You're winer!
"It's like growing up reading good books or listening to good music. One good sofa breeds another good sofa; one bad sofa breeds another bad sofa. That's how it goes."

MDX

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2005, 01:53:01 pm »
My dad works on an oil rig.

Does that mean ill die first?

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
    • My homepage
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2005, 03:52:46 pm »
Yes.

Now, for todays oil prices, you'll have to remember that there's a bit of global politics in it as well. The war in Iraq made the oil price shoot upwards, and I believe much of the rise in oil price can be traced back to the war.
...why Torp was picked over you... HE'S JUST BETTER THAN YOU IN EVERY RESPECT. -SomethingGood

Offline Trezker

• Machinae Prime
  • I don't eat food!
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2005, 05:01:44 pm »
Well, I don't care much. I don't have a car anymore.

MDX

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2005, 05:23:52 pm »
I will go down covered in oil, and fighting.. yea.

Smeagol

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2005, 06:15:32 pm »
Well, I don't care much. I don't have a car anymore.

Oil is used for far much more than fuel, which you can find out if you follow the link Torp provided (assuming it's still up).

Offline Trezker

• Machinae Prime
  • I don't eat food!
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2005, 09:27:44 pm »
Yeah, but I'm not using it directly.

Offline Jack Lupino

• Worst Dude
  • Machinae Prime
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2005, 11:54:07 pm »
FUCK !!!!

WE'RE ALL DOOMED !!!!

ARKALNLKEANF

FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK

umm lol

Offline Torp v2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Machinae Prime
    • My homepage
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2005, 12:58:39 pm »
I will go down covered in oil, and fighting.. yea.

I'll come visit you with a box of matches, or a Zippo, or something. Could you please cover yourself in gasoline, rather than raw oil?

MDX

« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2005, 06:30:26 pm »
But it looks more hardcore.. plus ill be naked, so which do you want to see? blob of oil, or lean mean MDX naked machine.

*cough*

Offline Bates

• Forum Legend
  • Community Supporter
  • Machinae Prime
  • Bateman 2.0
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2005, 12:13:47 am »
The blob! The BLOB!